Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Second Vehicle, My First Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default My Second Vehicle, My First Jeep

This is my first Jeep, it's a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0l 4x4, with the 8.25 limited slip and with only 62,000 on the clock. I bought it a few months ago with money i've saved from selling my first car (P.O.S. 01 Altima) and from my job, but im very happy to have gotten a vehicle I actually really like now. I'm going for a bit of a utility vehicle design, just something I can use to do just about anything practical, like if I need to go out in a severe blizzard or in extreme cold, I can count on my Jeep, or if I want to get way back in the middle of nowhere for better hunting ground then my Jeep should be able to do that. Mostly stuff like that.

Since I bought it in April it's just gotten a 3in. Rough Country Series II lift, and a brand new set of Cooper Discoverer ST's in 31x10.50, and a cheap Midland CB radio, and It came with the brushguard, off road lights and the K&N intake when I bought it. Since the lift and tires i have been going through some pretty serious mud and have yet to get it stuck, most of the time rolling out just fine in 2wd.

Im especially happy with the tires, I have driven a handfull of vehicle's off road before this, one of which had Definity Dakota M/T's and compared to the Coopers, they suck. For a supposed "All-Terrain" tire they have very high voids, deep tread and great traction on wet and dry roads. I would reccomend them to anyone.

In the future I hope to add a few improvements but I cant do anything too extreme since this is my daily driver as well, but perhaps a set of skid plates, some manual locking front hubs, and a safari rack for a full size spare. I might consider a rear locker as well but the stock limited slip has been fine for what ive been doing so far.

Well if anyone has any suggestions for further modifications or anything else that would be highly useful off road im open to suggestion, since I dont have a huge amount of experince with this. My parents used to off road a bit when I was younger in their old 92 Land Rover Discovery, and I have been doing it with friends for a year or so, but im still fairly new to this.

Last edited by Iant333; 06-19-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

nice rig man. like the tires
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Good looking Jeep dude.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

nice buy looks good and what are the build plans
Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Im getting a safari rack and light bar for the top, a full set of skid plates and im going to try to convert my air conditioner into a tire pump which I've read can be done. I think I might get a Detroit locker for the rear axle but im not sure yet, I haven't even really needed my limited slip yet. Thats about it I suppose,unless there are some glaring flaws in my design here, im just looking to make a utility vehicle, something that will go just about anywhere I would need a vehicle to go and perform in all conditions. There might be better off-road vehicles but I dont think they would be as practical for all conditions, such as usability on road as well as what im planning to have.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

you'r on the right track stick with it![93ZJ DD3.5 /30x9.5now,plan 2 more inches &32's or 33's] I'm single so my rationality is a little more flexible
Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Year: 2000

Honestly man, with those tires, and the stance it already has, it seems like you should be able to do anything "practical" with it. Throw a 4" lift on there (looks like it already has 2-3"?) and nothing "practical" will stop you. Even the way it sits now, it'll do its job.