Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First XJ Build 2000 sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My First XJ Build 2000 sport

Had my Jeep for about a month now been doing some minor work that I will of course build on, but you got to start somewhere would appreciate all comments both positive or negative. 2000 sport with 64K miles. First picture i ever took of my new Jeep next to my old crown vic that I traded in.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Here is a picture of the body side molding before I had a chance to work on it. Picture doesnt show it as bad as it was but it was almost white, awful.

just finished taping about to start the painting

My original plan was to do just the side moldings, but the i figured mine as well do the bumpers in the front and back

Final product of the side moldings. Like many others before me I used bedliner spray if anyone was wonderin. Would certainly look better without the wax wedged in there, pretend it isnt there.
Next Weekend:
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
All 4 wheels were pretty well rusted this is a quick before of what I was dealing with

Took them off two at a time and sanded the crap out of them both the rim and behind it which is where it was really bad. Some how managed to forget a picture of the finished project once it was complete. Ill be sure to take one as soon as I can. It is by no means a close up but the finished wheels are in the picture of me taping off the door handles.
Third Weekend:

Next to get hit with bedliner spray are the door handles and to roof rack which were also faded pretty badly.. would not reccomend construction paper either.. was in a jam
[IMG]

Took the Roof rack off to hit it with the spray. Both the handles and the rack came out good, but yet again im missing pictures of after spray.
Well this is all i got for now, hopefully soon ill actually start spending some real money. Plans for it 3" lift with 31s, roof basket, and off road front and rear bumpers. Will take me awhile, but ill get there eventually
Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Personally I would have just taken the door handles and moulding off but hey if you like taping off go for it
Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM

haven't been on in awhile, also have not done anything much to the Jeep. Finally making some progress in building it the way i want it though. Here we have a homemade tailight cover using hollowed out 1/2 steel. let me know what you guys think. Have to hold it because the mounting brackets have not been made yet. The gaps in the tail light cover are not equal, they are sized out according to sections on the tailights. Just kinda hard to tell from the angle the picture was taken. [IMG]
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM

New rear bumper from Affordable Offroad and my completed homemade tail light covers. Just in the last week I have had the crank shaft positioning sensor go and a flat tire. Reason for the flat was rim rusted out around the valve stem. So instead of fixing this one and the other three eventually I just ordered summit racing brand rock crawlers. Will upload pictures when I get them middle of next week

Last edited by CherokeeJake1; 07-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I like that bumper.. Good luck with the build.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Got some new wheels summit special 15x8 3 3/4'' back spacing gives it a more aggressive stance. Got center caps coming in the mail. let me know what you think

Here is my Jeep hauling a 13' whaler up to maine for a week camping trip

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6 stroker

Nice stance!

What size tires ?
What was cost for rims?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat
Nice stance!

What size tires ?
What was cost for rims?

225/75/r15

stock tire size but backspacing makes them look way bigger
summit wheels 46$ a piece with free shipping then 80 to mount and balance!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by CherokeeJake1

225/75/r15

stock tire size but backspacing makes them look way bigger
summit wheels 46$ a piece with free shipping then 80 to mount and balance!
I like them
My 235s got 75 % left
8 inch would still be good for 31x 10.5 s next year.
How far up in Maine are ya?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat
I like them
My 235s got 75 % left
8 inch would still be good for 31x 10.5 s next year.
How far up in Maine are ya?
Yea they are nice and that was my exact thought. i could use them now no problem and still get 31s on them after i lift. was at Sebago lake for the week back home now
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Been a while since posting because i dont have time to do anything to the jeep with school and all.. but i picked up a brush guard painted it black and added some daylighters on to it, also changed oil press. sending unit and t-case switch, but nothing major yet
let me know what you guys think of brush guard (sorry you can only see half this best picture i have now)

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Havent posted on this build in a little while i havent been able to do anything with her.. But i just got a custom made roof rack made just gotta fab up some mounts and get some lights for it and itll be all set. I also picked a pair of lightly used 33 bfg at 12.5s.. just waiting around on my tax return to lift her up. let me know what you guys think of it

Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 PM

Got another picture here. Someone will prob say it, but yes it does look funny without lights in it and no im not going to mount it until i have lights for it
Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Havent updated this thread in awhile. But it was a busy summer and I have since lifted it 6.5 inches with a rough country short arm lift running 33x15x12.5 BFG ATs. 4.5 leafs with 2in shackles. adjustable uppers and lowers as well as quick sway bar discos. Advanced adapters SYE with a tom woods drive shaft for the rear. I also put in a RE steering stab. with 4 new tie rod ends. Next is to regear and an off road front bumper!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Nice build!

Quick Reply: My First XJ Build 2000 sport