Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first XJ 99 steel blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default My first XJ 99 steel blue

Hey guys I've been lurking on here for a few weeks along with prowling the internet for a mint XJ that wouldn't break the bank... Well I found her in Davenport IA today with 94,000 miles and a rock solid showroom new body and chassis... I thought I'd never find one in the condition I wanted unless I was paying in excess of 6500-7000$ which I feel is foolish for a car that's 15 years old and sold new for 25,000 ( the original window sticker and dealer sheet came with it!!!) there is not one scratch on the truck absolutely zero rust and I'm not seeing any fluid leaks ect... Worst I've found is a door ding.... I'd eat off the frame rails... The last owner also painted the plastic flares to match I believe
( don't think they came this way ) and rhino lined the rear bumper... Plans for the truck are as follow

3.5-4.5" lift kit
Upgrade stereo that has a CD player haha and a USB
Wheels
Tints
Tires
aftermarket flares( MAYBE)

I'd like to keep it very drivable since the majority of my cars don't leave the garage in the winter I'm open to suggestions for a quality lift kit and wheel tire combos

Well time for pics starting with the trailer ride back to Chicago

Name:  C33CF58A-E5F3-4479-9969-B8941E5ECCBF_zpse4svec61.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  136.5 KB
Name:  75C173F8-7E15-4D67-87C7-E1A14BB162EC_zpsy4obways.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  101.1 KB
Name:  EA8F19D1-82EA-43B7-A30F-948801BAC287_zpsb8zi8zqp.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  86.5 KB

Does anyone know what wheels these are ? Don't think they are stock. The tires are also brannndddd new they will both be for sale if anyone's looking
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Jeep looks beautiful man, glad you found one in great condition. That IS my favorite color xj at that too. Flares look a little lighter colored so they probably were painted as you said. I definitely think a set of bushwhacker flat flares would look great on there, but its damn well expensive. No clue on what wheels those are though.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Just so you know, that color is gunmetal pearl according to Chrysler .

Great looking Jeep, and same color as mine .
Old 10-04-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Just so you know, that color is gunmetal pearl according to Chrysler .

Great looking Jeep, and same color as mine .
Lol I'm NEW haha I love the color wasn't sure on it at first but it's grown on me
ALOTTTT

also the plastics were all painted because they were freeing he said. The guy was trying to build it but fell on financial hardship I felt bad his wife looks really sad They were such nice people I got it at a great price to. I just went and looked at the tires on it they are a 30x9.5x15 so they are bigger and wider than stock no? I need a lift but don't know how to tell if I have a Dana or the latter how do I know. Also should I go 4.5 or 3.5 don't wanna loose to much ride quality....
Old 10-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

They came stock with 225/75r15s which is like a 28/9.0 I believe, so they are a bit larger then stock
Old 10-05-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

First off I wanna say congrats on the great find. That is definitely a gorgeous XJ.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....you should have a high pinion Dana 30 front and the Chrysler 8.25 rear with 29 spline shafts.

As far as lift goes, I think a lot depends on what your building it for. Daily driver/trail rig or mud running, rock crawling etc. My opinion, I like 3.5" for dd/trail. I think it looks good when you pair it with 31" or 32" tires. And again someone correct me if I'm wrong, with the 3.5" you should be able to get away without needing an sye, which would help keep cost down.

I look forward to seeing your build.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

You found one awesome XJ man. That's one of the best years, and it's super clean. Congrats, and I look forward to seeing it built up. 3.5 inches of lift is what I have on my DD and I like it. It's still capable off road as well.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 AM

I can be wrong but the wheels look like American racing brand. I maybe interest for the tires only if you want to separate them.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by slowjunk
I can be wrong but the wheels look like American racing brand. I maybe interest for the tires only if you want to separate them.

I could prolly do that.... Might just lift it first though then get some wheels and tires based on how it looks... I gotta pick out a lift though. Was under the truck today I rear axle dia is 3" and shocks look original so I'm sure it will be beneficial to change all that up anyhow... Looking to invest 700$ maxxxx in the lift and do it right is this possible with my budget seems like it is possible all day to get a kit for around 500 with everything I'd need and recommended vendors to buy from?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna
I could prolly do that.... Might just lift it first though then get some wheels and tires based on how it looks... I gotta pick out a lift though. Was under the truck today I rear axle dia is 3" and shocks look original so I'm sure it will be beneficial to change all that up anyhow... Looking to invest 700$ maxxxx in the lift and do it right is this possible with my budget seems like it is possible all day to get a kit for around 500 with everything I'd need and recommended vendors to buy from?
Whatever you get, make sure you get full leaf packs. No matter what route you take you end up getting the packs eventually. I got an AAL and I caved on new leafs the other day. Do it right the first time. And do 4.5 and 33s or 3" flat bushwhackers and 33s!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:47 PM

I think i have made my decision im going to go with a zone 3' with leaf's for now... i dont think i want to sacrifice to much ride quality and drivability at the moment.. also buying a bds adjustable track bar or one from RE
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM

what do you guys think about adjustable control arms lower and upper also from bds? worth the money? or is it just going to max the cheap zone shocks and destroy them?

also whos flares nappier or bushwhacker

i like the bigger syle flare more than the flat but the bushwhacker mounting looks way more secure since the firest part mounts to the body then the flare mounts to the pre installed mount...

also what 31" tires would you guys recommend that looks bad *** but still handles good on a snowy road here in the Chicago area

opinions and ideas please
Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna
what do you guys think about adjustable control arms lower and upper also from bds? worth the money? or is it just going to max the cheap zone shocks and destroy them? also whos flares nappier or bushwhacker i like the bigger syle flare more than the flat but the bushwhacker mounting looks way more secure since the firest part mounts to the body then the flare mounts to the pre installed mount... also what 31" tires would you guys recommend that looks bad *** but still handles good on a snowy road here in the Chicago area opinions and ideas please
I'm 99.9% certain Zone is created by Bds. Adjustable uppers and lowers will be beneficial with putting your axle back into a good location since lifting pulls it back. To keep from destroying shocks, just bumpstop your jeep so you don't bottom out on them.

I've ran both bfg km2s and goodyear mt/rs in over two feet of snow. (I live in New York and we've had some brutal winters recently.). Both did well and never left me stuck. They also did well in everything but sand.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM

whelpppp i dropped some $ on the jeep already lol

bought the following

radio upgrades
kenwood xcelon in dash radio/cd/usb with bluetooth ect
1 pair of 5.25" hertz speakers for the rear sound pods
1 pair of higher end herts speakers for the front doors
no plans on adding a amp at the moment but i may....
im also experiencing the typical front door broken speaker wire issues so i will be running new wires all the way to the head unit and i will be using some superflexible heavy duty shizzzz for wires as well..

SUSPENSION UPGRADES
3" zone lift with hydro shocks and full leaf packs
Iron rock off road adjustable lower control arms
Iron rock off road adjustable upper control arms
Iron rock off road double shear adjustable track bar
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XSP

that's the link to the parts mfg looks like a smaller company with nice stuff

looks like ill be in pretty good shape and this thing should be extra beefy and flex out well FOR A 3.5 " KIT .... hoping to start working on the truck this weekend since im out of $ the 30" tires and wheels that are on the truck will hafta work for a while

Last edited by 1000rrstunna; 10-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 PM

Name:  FA964B45-09D9-465D-B9F6-DAC6E0C56BCF_zpsfzbfxsi7.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  56.9 KBName:  35F0FCE8-DD51-4EA0-BFCA-87093E93E2A5_zpsf6dbpl8k.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  77.2 KB

Installed the head unit with 5.25" hertz coaxials all around I'm very impressed on how good it sounds... My front door speakers work again due to pulling new wires through the boots to the back of the deck... That was a *****. Soldered it all up and viola I have hands free Bluetooth pandora USB ports a CD player and 25watts rms power I was planning on a 5 channel amp with a sub but honestly it sounds pretty good these hertz speaks are no joke...

Also test fitted some wheels I made for it today... Going to powder coat them black after I weld them. Are most of you guys running a 15x8 with 4" back spacing to run a 10" wide 31" tall tire?? They are sticking out past the fender about 1.5 inches... I was going to bring them in a 1/2 " ( I just received my zone 3" lift today with full leaf pack so that's why I'm upgrading wheels and tires) but am afraid it will rub inside the wheel well? What wheel and tire combos are you guys running width and offset wise?.
Name:  A85BA5F7-529C-4B57-AE52-E783B85B2506_zps42rg71ec.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  99.2 KB

Quick Reply: My first XJ 99 steel blue