Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight-6
Default My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ

Hello everyone, I just got my driver's license in December and I thought a Jeep Cherokee would compliment it nicely! Hah, well anyways this Jeep is sort of a hand-me-down vehicle. My brother got it when he first got his license and since then he has bought a shiny new Mazdaspeed 3. So, he gave the XJ to me! I've practically fallen in love with the thing as I've been driving it the past few months and I've decided to start giving it a little bit of TLC. I started off by getting new rims at the beginning of this month

Overall, she's in pretty good shape. A little bit of rust is around the doorhandles and the rocker panel near the back on the passenger side is banged up. The engine runs perfectly fine though,
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-ma2lg.jpg
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-hu1gn.jpg

A closer view of the rust and damage, the back looks like it might be a difficult fix
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-mcepr.jpg

On the weekend, I headed over to my Dad's to work out the rust, this is how much I got done in one day: sanded off the rust and brushed on some rust converter, then put on a coat of primer before I headed off to work. I have no bodywork experience and barely any experience working with cars in general. Couple that with school 5 days a week and work on the weekends and you've got one slow build/restoration
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-iw6yr.jpg

This thing is so stock that it even has the original "Made For You" sticker from when it was originally purchased brand new
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-bisl7.jpg

The interior is actually in pretty dang good condition, no tears in the fabric/leather, no rust, no nothing
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-rf5ub.jpg

And sometimes I sleep here after a rough night!
My first vehicle, a 1990 XJ-hm5ho.jpg

What do you guys think of my latest pride and joy? Any tips on how I can do a better job getting out the rust and even fixing that rear end damage? Suggestions on how I can further make this XJ my own would be appreciated as well, but don't expect any lifts or anything along those lines yet for a while at least. Remember that I have no clue what I am doing and I don't really have the means for anything like that anyways! I'm not really into wheeling or anything at the moment and I kind of like the stock look of the XJ so any lifts won't be that drastic anyways
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Nice first vehicle........Looks sharp...