Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first 4x4 build

Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default my first 4x4 build

i just traded my messed up atv for a 1991 cherokee with 185xxx miles. it has what im guessin is a 3 or 3.5 rustys springs with 31 1050. this is my first build with ne kind of 4x4 vehicle. i been doing sport bikes atvs and mini trucks and have all ways wanted to do a jeep since i rode in my uncles as a kid. when i traded my atv my lil cried bc she loves the mud so i want this to be safe for her bc she will be going wheeling with me. my ? is i want to put 31x1150 or 33x1350 super swamper ltbs on it and add another 1.5 or 2 inch lift. what would yall rec for and add on to the springs. and what would be the best buy for the money on that and shocks. im kinda workin on a tight budget. and what back spacing would you rec for the wheels. im not afraid of trimming prolly will do that neways. and i heard something bout the zj tierods or something up front being stronger, whats this. and i will be picking up the rear disc brakes off a zj from the local picapart. this is a pic of the jeep and my lil girl. and very sorry for this being way long just need some ideas thanx
Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997 2 door
Engine: 4.0

If you have full 3" leafs some extended shackles will work along with some spacers in the front. Of course going higher you will need to replace other parts as well. A t-case drop or slip yoke eliminator will most likely be needed as well as longer control arms. Trimming will be your friend.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM

thx i knew about the tcase but didnt know bout the control arms. this project is kinda going to be learning point on things like this
Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 PM

well after haveing to find about 6 differnt size sockets i got the flaires off and gettin an angle grinder from work tomarr to cut and fold the fenders ill have pics up later
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 PM

well havnt had time to update this been workin but i got my carpet out cut my front fenders and helped my buddy on his. we got his carpet out cut all is fenders and he built a roof rack. so i guess this build thread will be for both his and mine . as we kinda trade work, i helped him so this time we get to pull my engine out and replace all the freeze plugs(only 1 came out just gonna replace them all)and clean the motor while its out. and we are cutting my rear fenders as well. he also gave me the speaker bar that he was throwing away. i will have more pics of his and mine next weekend. thats the only time we have to work on them bc of our work schedule
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM

well my buddy got bored and did some more on his today (got the paint finished and bed liner inside and out) and doing some more to mine this weekend(freeze plug bed liner inside and out cutting rear fenders) dang if only i didnt have to work lol ill have pics up sat or sun
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

good lookin build. im in SANFORD, NC if you ever need help im always willin to let you park in my driveway while we pull it apart.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

oh btw you need to pull that inner fender stuff out. and relocate your vaccum canister under the hood.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM

im from asheboro so we not that far apart...yea i plan on doing that but im gonna wait and see how long it takes for the freeze plug..its the one under the manifold against the firewall...a guy i work with said he cut a hole in the floor to do his and bolted a piece of sheet metal with a weather striping over the hole so he wouldnt have to keep pullin the motor out i dunno what ima do yet
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 PM

and thanx i would say you could park in mine but its concrete and steep lol so i have to go to mu buddies his is flat and we are gettin ready to build another shop at his house
Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 AM

here are the pics from taking the carpet out...going to put bedliner in drill about one 1 inch hole on each side and put boat drain plugs in...you can see where the rain comes in somewhere around my windshield...
the rust isnt that bad but its still rust and i dont like it
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 PM

well this morning i took my jeep to my buddies house we popped the hood and started the jeep to find out which freeze plug was leaking bc it on leaks when running and found out that its leaking from above the freeze plug under the exhaust somewhere cant really see in there to well....1 of our mechanics at work said it could be leaking from around or near the throttle body....but i dunno....ne ideas??? i also have this ? on the tech thread ....did manage to round off the front fenders so it didnt look like a hummer cut the front bumper and cut 1 rear fender before having to go to work....gettin pics of it all tomarro i forgot to take my camera with me

Last edited by tweaks; 01-22-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 PM

just got word from a guy i work with...his dad has a full width jeep im guess the fsj i dunno its a cherokee but not the bodystyle i have neway he is selling it for 500 if i cant get my motor to stop leakin for less than that then am buying the old jeep and swapping the tranny motor axles into my xj. i may buy it neway bc i have got my motor and tranny sold already if the motor is messed up the old jeep has a 360 in it and i seen a kit for the swap somewhere just cant remember where and i already know about frame stiffners been lookin at doing that neways
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

still waiting to see this build progress
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 PM

well got my other rear fender done then started into the engine and found a crack in the block about a foot long but found another motor that runs on cl for 175...debateing on that or the fsj axles etc...huskyliner floormats are good for something lol....the intake was the hardest thing to get off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my first 4x4 build