Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking ahead!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Looking ahead!

Hello,
To fill you all in i currently do not have a jeep, but love Cherokee's and have lurking around this site for a while now! Anyways, after this summer of working and working during school next year I plan to buy a Jeep Cherokee for my first vehicle. It will be used as a daily driver to high school, work, and wheeling/hunting/camping on weekends. Id like you guys to help me create a plan that will fulfill my needs on a high school budget..
My build plans right now..
-Preferably a 2 door Cherokee (like the looks a lot better), Auto Trans, i6
-Either a 3 inch lift kit from RC or Rusty's (with full leafs)
-31" tires
-Cragar soft 8's
-Skid plates? (not sure which are a must...)
What do you guys think should come next?
Sliders? Lunch box lockers? Winch? etc..
Thank you, all information is much appreciated!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Well im in high school and I have a lifted XJ that I DD.
I'm going to tell you right now, it isn't easy to build ANYTHING on a high school budget. I had to work for two months to afford my 3 inch lift and 31s. Im pretty much broke now because of my XJ haha. You're going to want to get your lift and tires before any other upgrade. I'd suggest getting a zone offroad 3in lift. I have it and its great, the quality of the parts have far exceeded my expectations. It should cost you about $340 with shipping, I paid like $400 so I could have some shock boots, a windshield sticker, and a couple of small decals. The RC kits tend to not hold up over time so I would avoid them. As for tires, I have the BF Goodrich All terrains. They have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty and are around $800 a set. As for other parts; you'll want a gas tank skid, Transmission skid, and an oil pan skid. I would hold off on the rock sliders because they will cost tons. Look into getting a different bumper for the front end. Since you're looking to wheel your XJ, get something that will hold up if you hit anything, and something you can tow from. Also if you can afford it, get some lockers. I have open diffs and they suck *****. I've almost gotten stuck a few times because I didn't have lockers.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 AM

yeah i know making money in highschool is a ***** but I seem to gain a fair amount of money even without a actual job right now... Working for my rich friends mom adds up quickly haha.
How about making homemade rock sliders? I have decent welding skills due to 2 years of metal shop in highschool..
What lockers do you recommend? I would like a set of lockers that i can engage when i enter the woods and disengage when driving on concrete.
I saw on Rustys website they have a full engine/transmission skid plate for $160?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by ForestMichael
yeah i know making money in highschool is a ***** but I seem to gain a fair amount of money even without a actual job right now... Working for my rich friends mom adds up quickly haha.
How about making homemade rock sliders? I have decent welding skills due to 2 years of metal shop in highschool..
What lockers do you recommend? I would like a set of lockers that i can engage when i enter the woods and disengage when driving on concrete.
I saw on Rustys website they have a full engine/transmission skid plate for $160?
Yeah if you can gain access to a welder, by all means make some sliders. Im pretty good at welding too, but I can't seem to find one I can borrow to make my bumper haha. Check out ARB, they make some nice lockers. Detroit lockers are pretty nice too. As far as the engine and tranny skid, I say go for it. $160 sounds like a fair price.