Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The KISS build. (Help wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The KISS build. (Help wanted)

Ok, just got a 91 laredo for $400. The interior is nice, except for the water leak that gets the driver side floor soaked when it's out in the rain. Exterior is straight but paint is faded. Don't really care. The motor has high miles but doesn't smoke and holds good oil pressure and the rig runs and drives really nice.

Now for the bad: The steering column was flopping all over but I fixed that thanks to a write up on here The oil looked like rusty mud puddle water and the air filter was black and coated with oil (Both changed). The exhaust was hacked off immediately behind the cat and it's embarrassing to drive up the street in it, but before I can get the exhaust fixed I need to pull the manifold and fix a some cracks/breaks.

Then it will be driveable.

The plan for the build is to "Keep It Simple Stupid". I want to build the cheapest rig I can that will accomplish my goals and not be a hacked POS.

I have a set of 33" mud brutes that I intend to run as soon as I can find some 16" wheels to mount them on. (They are currently on Toyota wheels). They are a metric tire and I don't remember the exact measurements but I did the calc. before and it came out at about 33. They are narrow which I think will let me get them on without huge bumpstops after I do some trimming up front and pizza folding in the rear.

I'm looking at options for a 3" lift. I'm debating getting a cheap, spring front, add a leaf rear setup and getting lower arms seperately. Add some JK shocks and I should be good. The adjustable track bar is still a "maybe".

I am planning on going to pick up a 29 spline 8.25 this weekend. Same 3.55 gears as mine.

The front is a disco so I plan to weld both carriers (front and rear) rather than pay for lockers. (This is a weekend play rig, not daily driven)

That's about as far as I've gotten so please, feel free to give suggestions, advice, criticism, etc...

Yes, I know the pictures suck. I just stepped out and took a couple with my phone. It's not a build thread without pics right So I had to get something. I'll get better ones as I get going, and it's not the middle of the night.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I now have a rear axle. A 29 spline 8.25 I just picked up. Need to run it over to the shop next weekend and weld up the gears and get a lift ordered and we'll be underway.

I took the exhaust manifold off yesterday and welded all the cracks up. Used a buddies flux core wire machine so it's not as pretty as I'd like but it should hold up just fine.

Next up is to get a muffler put on so that I can actually drive it and I still need to locate some 16" wheels.

Anybody know if pre '07 rubicon wheels are 5x4.5? I believe they are 16's but not sure if the bolt pattern is right. I believe that the newer rubicon's are 5x5.

As soon as I get some wheels I'll get a 3" kit on the way and start putting it all together.