Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Jeep to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Jeep to use

Well, my brother is now set on swapping a 4bt into a Jeep. Yesterday he went to one of his friends,he is a really good fabricator and welder, and he had swapped a 4bt into a Wrangler. He said it looked stock and itd lift the drivers side wheel quite a bit under a hard launch. So my brother called me this morning and told me and he said he really wants to do it.

Now if we do this it will be my DD and possibly trail rig. What he wants to do is get a 4bt out of a bread truck and a NV4500 and swap in. I read that a NV4500 will bolt up to a NP231 transfer case with a little work. I found a 91 XJ 5 speed 4 door for 1300 thatd be good for the swap, but he doesnt want to mess with the unibody. He wants me to get a wrangler. So i found a 96 4 cylinder 5 speed wrangler for 3000. His friend also said that with the Wrangler if he moved the raditor and intercooler to the back, he could put a 5.9 in. But that would become a pure death trap.

My question is, which one has the biggest engine compartment, and would be the best to use? I can see the wrangler being much easier because its not unibody, but i can get a XJ cheaper. And if we ran into problems with the front axle we have a either a D44 or D60 front axle sitting somewhere.