Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glob the green '95

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Glob the green '95

Just got myself an XJ with the intent of setting it up for some somewhat serious offroading. I'd been looking for a little while, they aren't uncommon here in New Zealand but not excatly run of the mill either.

It's a '95 with about 150,000 miles on it, the warrant of fitness (safety inspection) ran out last month but it should only need one of the rear wheel studs replaced (the previous owner managed to stuff the thread). Did find a couple of other things, the rear output bearing of the transfer has a bit of play in it, and a couple of small oil leaks, one around the back of the engine and one of the axle seals on the front diff. A bit of work do to but it was cheap and it's probably not going to get treated all that well anyway!

Plan is to concoct something like a 3" junkyard type lift since while the kits for sale on the net are not too expensive, shipping heavy stuff like springs across the pacific is. Fit some 33" mud tires, a winch, rockslides and then try to follow the cruiser.

And yeah, 35's dont fit at stock height

Last edited by Testament; 01-29-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Haha no!! Those 35s don't look too happy next to the jeep right now huh?? Must suck bad living across sees and having the additcion to lift something with name brand products. Shouldn't be too hard for you to concoct something up lift wise though. Goodluck on the build and I'll be following this one.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM

search bastard pack for the rear and the front you can use f150 springs but some will say the ride is too stiff i dont have experience with them but maybe someone will chime in on it
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Use grand cherokee springs they ride better.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by foster95xj
search bastard pack for the rear and the front you can use f150 springs but some will say the ride is too stiff i dont have experience with them but maybe someone will chime in on it
Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
Use grand cherokee springs they ride better.
Yeah I'm going to try and get some grand cherokee springs, there are a few of them around here, f150's are very rare so not an option really. Will be making a few enquiries at local parts shops first to see if the can get a hold of some lifted leafs today - if I have to do the bastard pack I will have to try and match up what I can find at pick a part, probably something japanese or australian - american trucks are rare as we are RHD down here and the full size stuff is expensive and doesnt really fit on our roads.

Last edited by Testament; 01-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM

i see i was expecting that to be rare to find the grand cherokee coils only give you about 1.5-2" though
Old 01-30-2010, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

what kinda tires are on that yota? those things are nice!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by clayton3854
what kinda tires are on that yota? those things are nice!
The ones on the toyota are 35" silverstone extreme mt-117's
and the ones I put next to the jeep are some 35" simex centipede extreme trekkers

http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/ProductsLis...16&selection=4

http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/ProductsLis...=4&selection=5

Both are made in malaysia, the silverstones are actually knock-offs of the simexes but actually seem to work a little better as they have slightly wider lug spacing, although they do wear out quicker. About the only thing better in the mud here are super swamper boggers with every second lug cut off - but theyre more expensive, you cant really drive them on the road at all then, and thats alot of work to cut all those lugs out!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

haven't posted here in forever,
took it out on a trip with my mates supercharged v8 cruiser some time ago as it was. went ok for what it is although nothing on 6L of boost with 35" silverstones

So after that got a bit carried away and bought some 33" silverstones - which turned out to be true 33" dia. was thinking they would have been 31.5"-32" true diameter based on what I had heard. Also bought a winch and a teraflex 1.5" spacer+shackle lift to go ontop of the OME 40mm/1.5" it already had.

Had a go at putting the 33's on before the lift kit arrived

Fail

And just now got around to putting the lift kit in this week

And time to do some cutting

Still need to do all the other usual stuff, re drill the track bar hole 20mm across and pretty sure I'm going to need to get/make some degree wedges/shims to get the rear driveshaft angles somewhere near acceptable. longer bumpstops, raise the shock mounting points on the diffs, build a bumper for the winch.....then go get stuck somewhere far away from anywhere
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Like this thread! Nice Jeep, and a beautiful country you have. Have always wanted to visit. Looking forward to more Jeep pics. And also more pics of that wonderful countryside
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997 2 door

Omg simex's/silverstones only in my dreams.

Nice jeep you have there.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 AM

Cheers guys, probably be another month of 2 before I get around to taking it out in the countryside.

A little more progress, relocated the track bar although found now i need to do an alignment as the steering wheel is off centre by half a turn

chop chop chop

bash bash bash

and they fit now

decent clearance too

few more bits to trim on the front still inside the guards and then flex it to work out how much extra bumpstop length will be neccesary.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks great! I want those tires too!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 AM

Cut and bashed little bit more out of the guards, mounted the flares back on higher up, re drilled the track bar, re centered the steering, painted where i had cut and cracked the paint made a few alloy covers for stuff in the guards as i have ripped the guard liners out and relocated a few things to inside the engine bay.

All just clears now and bashed over/cut out any sharp protrusions so that if it does rub its not going to do too much damage.

Still could do with longer front brake lines or moving the brackets down and re shimming the rear diff - but the vibrations arent too bad and there is no way you can notice them with the silverstones on so it's pretty much ready to take out now although it would be nice to get the winch on too but not 100% mandatory.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

I want a set of those tires. Stupid DOT.

Quick Reply: Glob the green '95