Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fish & farm 98 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fish & farm 98 Sport

Figured I'd start a build thread so i could get some feed back and mainly because my wife is tired of hearing about what I've done or am going to do with the Jeep. I told her it was better & cheaper than getting a Porsche and a young girlfriend but she didn't find that funny.

Picked this 98 sport up in Nov with 141K on it. It has a few dings and scratches but nothing major. Guy I got it from had the front drive shaft removed because it was giving him some trouble and he didn't want to spend the $ to fix it. He lived in town so the jeep never saw 4x4 while he had it. Heater also didn't work so between that & the 4X4 I had pretty good leverage on the price.

First order of business was changing the fluids, go over it with a fine tooth comb, and add lots of stickers. All good!

Second order of business- flush heater core. 20 min later we have good heat- Yeah!

Got a 2" hitch of CL & scored a roof rack (complete w Zombie Hunter decal which my kids love) and 4- 6" lights to boot

Tore off the plastic trim & took the heat gun to the "sport" decals. Still need to finish cleaning up the sticky.

Drove like that for a month before putting the front drive shaft back on. I replaced the u joint before reassembling since it was a lil stiff & rusty. Rode around the farm in 4x4 climbing up hills and through ditches & all seems good.
Attached Thumbnails Fish & farm 98 Sport-jeep.jpg   Fish & farm 98 Sport-jeep2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Was planning a fishing trip to the coast over Christmas so I built a 8 foot PVC rod holder for the top. The boys were helping and we decided it would be much cooler if we added fins & painted it to look like a missile.

My wife said I had to get the windows tinted so no one can see her riding around in a jeep with a missile on top.

After Christmas I added 2 of the off road lights to the bumper & got them wired up. Nice & Bright!

Also found my old cobra cb & k40 antenna. Got them tuned up and installed. Now we can talk with other zombie hunters during the apocalypse (according to my kids)

This week I built a light bar for the top so I could mount my other 2 lights "mickey mouse style" .

I also built a rod rack holder for the front bumper out of an old 1 1/4" receiver & some 4" angle iron I had sitting around in the shed. I'll post pics later.
Attached Thumbnails Fish & farm 98 Sport-jeep3.jpg   Fish & farm 98 Sport-rodrocket.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

nice to see another white xj
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Nice rocket! LOL. Do you take your fly reel off before putting them that holder? I dont really need a fly rod holder because all of my fly rods are 4 pieces. But, I was thinking about putting one on my 98 just for days where I need to drive to another spot and dont feel like breaking it down.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM

i haven't tried out the fly rod in the missile. i think i could get one in there with no problem. i thought about using 6in pvc but had this piece of 4 in lying around. my fly rod is a 3 pc so i mainly built it for my 12 surf rod.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Ohh ok, right on. Well then, when I throw one together I will let you know how well it works.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Default light bar

I decided to add my other 2 lights as Mickey Mouse ears up top but didn't want them on the rack so I made a separate light bar for them. I had a neighbor with a metal fab shop bend a piece of 1/8" steel into a 2" channel, added a few scraps to keep the wires up and then made 1/4" legs angled to match the factory tracks. I plan to make 2 more for mounting the rack on since I don't like the flex of the plastic stock bars. I still have to wire up the lights.
Fish & farm 98 Sport-lightbar1.jpg

Fish & farm 98 Sport-lightbar2.jpg

Fish & farm 98 Sport-lightbar3.jpg

Since I don't have the skid plate under the front to put teeth on I opted for the smaller bumper version. It's made from scrap reflective trailer tape so it looks really cool at night.

Fish & farm 98 Sport-jeepjaws.jpg

Here's the front rack hitch I made from some scraps. Working on a cooler and rod rack now.

Fish & farm 98 Sport-rodholdermount.jpg
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM

DOGS LOVE JEEPS!

Attached Thumbnails Fish & farm 98 Sport-melinjeep.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM

been raining here for 2 days. The thought crossed my mind to take the jeep out on the farm and play in the mud but i wasn't sure how the pigs would take to being invaded......
Attached Thumbnails Fish & farm 98 Sport-pig.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Got my AEM air filter in the mail yesterday. It took a lil scrounging around the sheds to find suitable materials but I came up with enough pvc pipe to construct an adapter for the filter. Now I just have to finish making the heat shield and it'll be ready. pics soon (if it works that is.)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 H.O. (242 CID)

always nice to see another NC Jeeper! nice xj
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Default more goodies

Just ordered an Accel ignition upgrade, Rancho steering stab, & Skyjacker shocks. May not be the best stuff but should be a nice improvement.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM

The goodies arrived yesterday and today.

Now if it'll just stop with the freezing rain I can get around to working on this stuff. Went to the farm to check on all the critters and ended up doing doughnuts in the pasture with my 6 yo riding shotgun then climbing on some frozen compost piles - farm fun!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:42 AM

Default updates

Haven't been on here in a while but here are some updates. After a trip to fort fisher at Kure beach in May i decided it was time to start looking around for tires and lift options.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 AM

Gone fishing!

Quick Reply: Fish & farm 98 Sport