Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fallon's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fallon's Build Thread

Hello to Everybody!

I am an XJ Noob. Wow... I feel better already! I'm a dad with 4 sons and a Jeep fetish. My Jeeping interest started with CJs, and I thought I knew a fair amount about Jeeps. But my third son likes XJs, and I have learned that most of my knowledge doesn't carry over. So I am starting all over again. My son, Fallon, turned 14 last month. With my acquiesence he bought a '90 Cherokee Laredo 4X4 last year. It has the Renix 4.0, AW4, 187,000 miles, and pretty dang clean! He got it for a grand, and I am liking it so much that I have been thinking about selling the F150 and getting another. We started doing little things to it to "spruce" it up, but our plan is to mod it to a functional/capable level over the next two years. It should be ready to go when he turns 16. At least that's the plan. I have lurked over here quite a bit when I did the 4.0 swap into another son's CJ5. This is a good forum, and I need ya'lls help.

Since I have been a long-term Jeep Forum member I started a build thread over there in the XJ section. I have posted numerous pics/questions about our work, but the XJ section just doesn't have the feedback that is present in the CJ section. I need feedback! I don't know if I'm doing stuff correctly or not. Please feel free to comment/critique as needed. I have thick skin!

I don't know how much of this stuff you want to see? We just completed the Bastard Pack springs, and now I'm building relocation brackets. Lots of progress pics if someone wants to see them. Here is a pic of Fal at 13 with his new XJ (runs great, everything works!) and the donor XJ we are using for mock-up and as a parts source.

Glad to be here...
Attached Thumbnails Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0116_1.jpg   Fallon's Build Thread-dsc07506_1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM

We had some rust to repair in the usual places which included cutting out bad spots and welding in new metal. I'm not done with that, but MOSTLY done! We also are dealing with a rotted door panel and broken side mirror.
  • Can I use masonite to make a new door panel?
  • Is it possible to change the mirror surface in the mirror body? In other words, install a new mirror glass without having to change the entire mirror?
  • The OH console is shorted. I saw a very complicated thread about using an OBDII console. Anything "easy" I can do to keep the info center in the cab?
  • How do you remove the hinges for the hatch door.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0314_1.jpg   Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0316_1.jpg   Fallon's Build Thread-img_0087_1.jpg   Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0219_1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM

And this sort of brings you up to date where I am with this build. This is the completed BP springs and relocation brackets. The springs are from an S10 P/U. The shackle brackets are made from scrap and overbuilt, IMO. I tried to KIS... seriously, but it didn't work out!

I read that I should get around 3" of lift with the BP springs. I read that 3" is the max you want w/o going SYE. I'm afraid we will have more than 3"! The springs are XJ main, S10 main, S10 2, S10 3, XJ helper. Can anyone quantify that?

Stock XJ springs on left, BP on right.
Attached Thumbnails Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0928_1.jpg   Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0946.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Finishing up the shackle brackets. I have no idea if the holes are in the right place! No idea what kind of angle I will have when the springs have weight on them. Fingers crossed...

Bracket mock-up
Name:  CIMG0961_1_zps5fc3d449.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  155.3 KB

Fallon is drilling the frame mounting holes. This will be sandwiched by the hitch.
Name:  CIMG0963_1_zps8efc03cc.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  144.4 KB

Tacked...
Name:  CIMG0965_1_zpsa3cfab12.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  150.7 KB

I hope, I hope this is going to work. If not, then I'll buy a set. It's definitely more beef than other bracket sets I have seen online.
Name:  CIMG0966_1_zps3718c157.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  149.2 KB

Now I gotta find a hole in the roof!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Both brackets are finished. They are coated in Ospho. Prime and paint tomorrow.

The parts XJ is going to the JY. I'm keeping the rear axle for a spare. Anybody have any good ideas on how to move the car out of the shop onto a trailer w/o a rear axle? Or should I install the axle, drag it onto a trailer, then pull the axle on the trailer?
Attached Thumbnails Fallon's Build Thread-cimg0979_1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Year: 97

I dig the build so far and this looks like a fun father son project.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Welcome to the forum! I'm a fan father and son builds.

Masonite should work for the door panels, but maybe hobby/arts stores might have some material thats easier to work with.
Not sure about the mirror but it seems doable. Do you happen to have the mirrors from the donor? They should transfer right over.
Looks like you made the relocation brackets adjustable, so you'll be able to experiment to find the right angle.

We love pictures so post away and show us your progress!
I'll definitely be following this build.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Kerrdog
Anybody have any good ideas on how to move the car donor of the shop onto a trailer w/o a rear axle? Or should I install the axle, drag it onto a trailer, then pull the axle on the trailer?
Do you have any kind of rollers to rest that end on? Come along jack to pull it up on the trailer?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

First off, welcome!

Now down to business...

Mirrors: Those are manual mirrors and it will be much easier if you just snag some from the junk yard and replace the whole thing. Or, you can pick a set up off Ebay for something like $30 for the set.

SYE: I'm currently running right around 5.5" on my 92 with no SYE. I've been running it for about 2 years or so. I do get vibes but because I eat through u-joints. An SYE is on my list of things. Before going higher in lift, I was at 3.5" with no SYE and zero problems. Actually had the factory u-joints from 92 in there until I broke one. With all that said, I believe you should be fine at 3-4".

Relocation brackets: They look great but I have one thing kinda bugging me. Maybe add a gusset to the angle iron. At the rig flexes the leafs wanna twist and I could see that thinner piece of angle bending. Just my opinion however.

Overhead Console: Again, that's a junkyard find. You can go pick up the electronics (circuit board) for cheap. The actual hard wiring is very simple.

Door Panel: Masonite will work but is very susceptible to moisture and will start to separate into layers and then fall apart over time. Are the doors all manual or electric?

Hatch Hinges: I believe, I say believe because I haven't removed mine, that if you open the hatch and at the top you should see 2 bolts that go through the hatch with nuts on the hatch side. If you drop the head liner, you should see 2-3 of the same for the side of the hinge that attaches to the body.

Finally, and this is most impressive to me, it's good to see that you have your son working with eye protection. My father lost his right eye as a kid and so it has been pounded into me to always keep them covered.

Your progress looks great and this project looks like it's going to be fantastic for you and your son. I hope this info helps and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Adam
Old 09-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Year: 2001

Welcome! Look like you're off to an awesome start on this thing! Father/son projects tend to be the coolest. Also, take Adam's advice, I've known him for about a year or so, pretty much from the time I got my XJ, and he has helped me a ton, he knows his stuff.

Keep us updated, I'm excited to see where this goes!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Okie XJ
I dig the build so far and this looks like a fun father son project.
Thanks, Okie.

Originally Posted by pittman71
Welcome to the forum! I'm a fan father and son builds.

Masonite should work for the door panels, but maybe hobby/arts stores might have some material thats easier to work with.
Not sure about the mirror but it seems doable. Do you happen to have the mirrors from the donor? They should transfer right over.
Looks like you made the relocation brackets adjustable, so you'll be able to experiment to find the right angle.

We love pictures so post away and show us your progress!
I'll definitely be following this build.
Mannn... I have a ton of pics! I'm assuming everybody over here has pretty much seen everything already, but if anyone is interested, I have blow-by-blow pics of the BP spring build. Donor mirrors were electric, and Fal didn't want to go through that much wiring. Which made me happy! The OEM mirrors are chrome, and they just look good with the grill. Thanks for the father/son vote. It has been a blessing so far.

Originally Posted by pittman71
Do you have any kind of rollers to rest that end on? Come along jack to pull it up on the trailer?
I have a small tractor and come-along, but no rollers. I was thinking of 4X4 posts as runners, but I went ahead and re-installed the axle/wheels to get it on the trailer. I'll pull the axle out from under it while on the trailer.

Originally Posted by adamk
First off, welcome!

Now down to business...

Mirrors: Those are manual mirrors and it will be much easier if you just snag some from the junk yard and replace the whole thing. Or, you can pick a set up off Ebay for something like $30 for the set.
Went ahead and grabbed some more from the JY. If it was simple to change the glass I wanted to keep the chrome ones. The Jeep just looks good with the chrome grill, mirrors, and WS trim. Ordinarily, I am not a chrome fan.

SYE: I'm currently running right around 5.5" on my 92 with no SYE. I've been running it for about 2 years or so. I do get vibes but because I eat through u-joints. An SYE is on my list of things. Before going higher in lift, I was at 3.5" with no SYE and zero problems. Actually had the factory u-joints from 92 in there until I broke one. With all that said, I believe you should be fine at 3-4".
You know how this stuff escalates!? I'm hoping to avoid the cost of SYE. Secretly, I'm hoping this thing gains 6"! Either way I will win!!! Thanks for the info.

Relocation brackets: They look great but I have one thing kinda bugging me. Maybe add a gusset to the angle iron. At the rig flexes the leafs wanna twist and I could see that thinner piece of angle bending. Just my opinion however.
This has been nagging me. I can barely pick these things up now! Wouldn't take but a few minutes to weld up gussets, which I keep saying I am going to do... but haven't done yet! Good advice!

Overhead Console: Again, that's a junkyard find. You can go pick up the electronics (circuit board) for cheap. The actual hard wiring is very simple.
I read somewhere that most of these XJs over 18-20 years old have the same electrical short in the circuit board. I took Fal's completely apart, thinking I could wire in the ZJ components. That was the beginning of my OBDI/OBDII education! I think we'll just leave it out, keeping the OH lighting.

Door Panel: Masonite will work but is very susceptible to moisture and will start to separate into layers and then fall apart over time. Are the doors all manual or electric?
I was afraid it might be too stiff?? I wonder about heavy cardboard coated in resin?? His Laredo is electric everything. And it all works! There is a square panel in the upper right hand corner of the DS door panel. There are 6 rocker switches in it. I was hoping to transfer the donor door panels over to modernize the switches/buttons, but again, the wiring was completely freakin me out! Didn't do it.

Hatch Hinges: I believe, I say believe because I haven't removed mine, that if you open the hatch and at the top you should see 2 bolts that go through the hatch with nuts on the hatch side. If you drop the head liner, you should see 2-3 of the same for the side of the hinge that attaches to the body.
Ahhh... under the headliner. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Finally, and this is most impressive to me, it's good to see that you have your son working with eye protection. My father lost his right eye as a kid and so it has been pounded into me to always keep them covered.

Your progress looks great and this project looks like it's going to be fantastic for you and your son. I hope this info helps and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Adam
In MY Opinion, it is a father's responsibility to teach his children to be better than when he was a child/teen. I was so bad my kids HAVE to be better!

Originally Posted by JRT1393
Welcome! Look like you're off to an awesome start on this thing! Father/son projects tend to be the coolest. Also, take Adam's advice, I've known him for about a year or so, pretty much from the time I got my XJ, and he has helped me a ton, he knows his stuff.

Keep us updated, I'm excited to see where this goes!!!
Thanks for the tip. We will be going in spurts, and it will jump around. Obvious and simple will get precedence over costly anything! BP springs, tires/rims, fabbing up F/R bumpers, interior work, go over the engine... that's the short-list.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

I installed an OH console in my 92 which was just bare bones when rolled off the assembly line. I intentionally left out the circuit board and display and used that space for switches that control my aux. fan, and roof lights. I also wired the lights in the console to delete the door switch for when I run doorless they won't come on but I can still turn them on.

The door panels could be switched. You would just have to cut the plug from the old and splice the wires to their counterpart on the newer plug. Or...You could switch the whole door. This allows for a full front door window over the fixed corner on the factory. You would still have to cut and splice for the electronics and then repaint. But, it's your son and your project so do what you two feel is best.

As for the mirrors, chrome ones are a dime a dozen around here (NC). The electric ones off your donor are nice to have on the older rigs because they fold in. The trade off of being able to adjust them with the window up is one easily decided in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 PM

I installed an OH console in my 92 which was just bare bones when rolled off the assembly line. I intentionally left out the circuit board and display and used that space for switches that control my aux. fan, and roof lights. I also wired the lights in the console to delete the door switch for when I run doorless they won't come on but I can still turn them on.

The door panels could be switched. You would just have to cut the plug from the old and splice the wires to their counterpart on the newer plug. Or...You could switch the whole door. This allows for a full front door window over the fixed corner on the factory. You would still have to cut and splice for the electronics and then repaint. But, it's your son and your project so do what you two feel is best.

As for the mirrors, chrome ones are a dime a dozen around here (NC). The electric ones off your donor are nice to have on the older rigs because they fold in. The trade off of being able to adjust them with the window up is one easily decided in my opinion.
I like your idea with the OH console. I'll give it some thought as to the best way to mod it. Maybe a CB??

I actually pulled a door from the donor and held it up to Fallon's XJ. The lines are identical. The differences being in the latch. I wasn't at all confident I could change that. Then I simply tried holding up the door panel. The steel panel support is different between the two doors, and the panel/door pull mounting screws are different too. So I begged off!

I tired to convince him to use the '97 body, changing out the dash, column, and front end (donor is 2wd). No rust on the '97. He wants to keep the car he bought! Okay...

I have to sell this...
Name:  CIMG0950_1_zps9f890cf4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  166.5 KB

To buy more of these...
Name:  IMG_1461_1_zps21f8a0e2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  118.7 KB

So they can go on this. Then these tires get mounted on rims of Fallon's choosing.
Name:  100_0360_1_zps6062c986.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  212.7 KB

Here is the donor with the BP springs and 14" trailer tires. dad-gum that looks stoopid!
Name:  CIMG0005_1_zps111c0f47.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  158.0 KB

Here is Fal's XJ finally pulled into the shop.
Name:  CIMG0006_1_zpsfcfe5374.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  142.2 KB

Fallon pulling on the cheater bar while older brother Clayton works the ratchet. I discovered I don't have any metric impacts! Never had to worry about that before. Using a 3/8 ratchet. Held up so far!
Name:  CIMG0002_1_zpsf6dd74dd.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  138.8 KB

And another fine HF product!
Name:  CIMG0007_1_zps375fb7be.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  122.9 KB
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho 99 intake ps pump 1" tb spacer 62mm bored tb eletric fans and more

Likeing the family build might have them hit the bolts with some pb blaster. cant wait to see it finished. sub.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by stang65
Likeing the family build might have them hit the bolts with some pb blaster. cant wait to see it finished. sub.
Thanks, Stang. We will do that. Finished is going to be awhile!

Quick Reply: Fallon's Build Thread