Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Da Heep - My 93

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Smile Da Heep - My 93

Since I can finally post pictures I will start a little build/freshening up thread of my own.
Sorry for the huge pic sizes, I resized them but man they're still huge.

So I picked this up the weekend before Thanksgiving and it sat. I had to put a battery charger on it because the 4 month old battery kept going dead. Previous owner wasn't sure why and since I was headed out of town I didn't have a chance to look at it - and didn't have time for a few weeks. Since I looked under the hood and decided one of the two previous owners should not be allowed to work on vehicles I decided to pull out as much of their crappy wiring as possible.

Battery has now lasted over 2 weeks and it starts right up. Not even sure what most of these went to but it was all aftermarket stuff.

Since the inside smelled because of water intrusion from the previous owners leaving windows down while out mudding and a leak I have not found I decided no carpet is the way to go. I will eventually put something in to keep the sound down and also insulate from engine.trans/exhaust heat.

The driver's side headlight was all wonky so I figured I'd head to the junkyard and pick up a bucket ad spring. Found a few other items (replacment blinker, gig lighter, foglight switch which I didn't have) all for $9

After I got into the headlight I found out why nothing lined up. There was a wheeling accident that crushed the front left corner - so I went back to the junkyard and $65 later I had a replacement fender, that assembly the headlights mount to including the grille, corner lamp and several other extras. They're all on just no pic yet.

After getting it all together I was able to rewire the LED headlights - now I actually have high and low beam - and several other things. I found these connectors that were coming out of the same hole the passenger's headlight wiring comes though but nothing was hooked up. I tested to see if they were a second horn but they're not. Anybody have an idea? I know one is a constant ground but the other is not a ground and I don't know where it goes after it hit the harness.

I'll post more later when I have time to get some more done. I have a tone of parts for a complete tune up, intake mani & throttle body (thanks to @XJwonders ), exhaust manifold all the way to the tip, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, thermostat, radiator cap, oil change and some other parts that I cannot remember right now.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

So today I rerouted the wires that go from the backseat up to the center console area for the seat belt light, parking brake, gear indicators and the mysterious red/black always hot wire. I have no idea why the factory ran them this way, they all come from the harness that runs from under the dash to the back along the driver's side door sill. In other words they were about 6' longer than needed and it would have kept all of the wires in the same loom.
I did this because I'm not putting carpet back in and I didn't want to have wires in the open where they could get pulled/broken. Next step is to clean up the floor, patch the holes and prep it to do the roll on at home bed liner. I hope to be able to put down two coats of this to help rust prevention, noise and heat.
It's getting closer to getting on the trail. I need to do the complete tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I've also got a new exhaust manifold and newer intake manifold & throttle body. Have to find a set of 4 hole injectors to do at the same time. After that, find the CLUNK in the front end. I haven't even searched for it but I think it is going to be the driver's side axle.