Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building the wifes JEEP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default building the wifes JEEP

So this is my first build thread ever, though I am no stranger to working on cars. My wife and I just purchased and XJ a few weeks ago. We both enjoy camping and off roading and we want to enjoy it now as a family. This is the pic of the jeep when we bought it

Its a 1998 sport with 96k miles everything works which is important being my wife DD. It has a 3" skyjacker lift which I hate and is on 31" Firestone ATs

My mission with the jeep is to increase its capibility off road as well as increase its ride comfort while maintaining livable mpg and drivability.

Last edited by aka"dude"; 08-02-2015 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlos Manuel Davis (06-15-2020)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Fun.

So, what are your plans?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM

first figure out how to post pics

then really first would be armor type stuff. JCR stage 2 sliders, JCR front bumper and other recovery type stuff. We will do most of our wheeling alone so the Highlift, sliders, and recovery points rank. After that in the more distance future will be bilstiens, long arms, sye and all that good stuff. I really dont want to go much over 4.5 total lift. I read the low cog suspension thread and thought "my thoughts exactly". It doesnt have to be huge to be capable.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
first figure out how to post pics

then really first would be armor type stuff. JCR stage 2 sliders, JCR front bumper and other recovery type stuff. We will do most of our wheeling alone so the Highlift, sliders, and recovery points rank. After that in the more distance future will be bilstiens, long arms, sye and all that good stuff. I really dont want to go much over 4.5 total lift. I read the low cog suspension thread and thought "my thoughts exactly". It doesnt have to be huge to be capable.
Good thinking. That's a nice clean XJ to start with.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM

exhibit #1 of why I hate the skyjacker lift

Does anybody know if there is a permanent fix for the helper spring moving around and eventually rubbing the tire it is happening to both sides. I already loosened up my ubolts and pushed them back then tightened everything back up as with my impact but they are starting to drift again. its only been alittle over a week.

oh yes and just to let you know I have already removed my rear sway bar and have discos up front.

I will post some flexy pics soon.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Your pic doesn't work. So I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but does the center pin go through the leaf? PO might not have replaced the pin and just stuck the leaf the leaf in.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by sthon
Your pic doesn't work. So I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but does the center pin go through the leaf? PO might not have replaced the pin and just stuck the leaf the leaf in.
the spring seems to rotate on its center pin clockwise with the helpber ending up to close to the tire for my comfort. It doesnt seem to be moving front to back at all. I might have to drop the axle completely and check it out. If I wasnt super broke right now I would just order these. Let me know what you think.

People seem to have mixed reviews on the IronRock stuff and I agree that there long arms do look a bit cheezy but I am in the more little leafs the better club when it comes to lift spring packs.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

sorry man. No pics as far as i can see.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Ah, ok. I would take a BFH and line them back up then make sure the u-bolts are good and tight. You might have to get/make some clips to keep the leaves together.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Better now?

Last edited by aka"dude"; 10-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Ah, ok. I would take a BFH and line them back up then make sure the u-bolts are good and tight. You might have to get/make some clips to keep the leaves together.
Already did it. Minus the clips. The problem with clips is that it is a helper spring and it does kind of hang out of the pack if that makes any sense.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

If you could get a picture it would help.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 PM

sorry I suck at this I will try to get a better pic soon

Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM

The other night I did take a bfh and slam the leafs strait I will have to check tomorrow if they have stayed strait. I really layed into it with my 1/2 impact.
Ive been thinking about the primary uses of this vehicle and what I would like to achive and I am having a change of heart on the whole long arm thing. We really dont wheel it to much maybe once or twice a month and we dont have the rocks in ct like you guys do in the south west. Im really am just trying to improve the ride quality. I know that i need to change out the crappy white shocks, but what about the lower control arms. I was thinking about some short arms from Iron Rock. also should I go strait or bent the ones I have now are strait. Is there any benifit to the bent ones?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
The other night I did take a bfh and slam the leafs strait I will have to check tomorrow if they have stayed strait. I really layed into it with my 1/2 impact.
Ive been thinking about the primary uses of this vehicle and what I would like to achive and I am having a change of heart on the whole long arm thing. We really dont wheel it to much maybe once or twice a month and we dont have the rocks in ct like you guys do in the south west. Im really am just trying to improve the ride quality. I know that i need to change out the crappy white shocks, but what about the lower control arms. I was thinking about some short arms from Iron Rock. also should I go strait or bent the ones I have now are strait. Is there any benifit to the bent ones?
Go long arm, seriously. I wish I would have

Quick Reply: building the wifes JEEP