Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build from ground up

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Build from ground up

Bought a 90 XJ and am close to restoring it to its prime

Pics on facebook if you search for "Marvin Baer" location-Edelstein IL

Ended up replacing the engine w/ a 92 that I rebuilt. Used everything from the 92 but the alternator and exhaust manifold.

Used a cone intake that makes it a free flow air intake.

The TPS sensor I had to make a special bracket to use the original 90 duel output sensor. (found out thats why it wouldn't shift)

I also had to install the 90 coolant sensor for the gauge (thats why interior gage didn't work)

90 Altornator (the 92 altornator is a generator so put the 90 back on)

Replaced steering columb as it was bad when I bought it (jeep was broke into)

I tore all the old interior out down to metal exept for the dash. I replaced most of the floor boards including cargo area. I cut all the old sheet metal out down to the frame. I reinforced all the areas that support the shocks to strengthen the frame for a lift in the future. I used 2" by 1/4" plate steel. I then used 1/8" sheet metal to cover the cargo area and wheel well locations and under the rear seat. I bought a floor board pan for the passenger side.

When the floor was done welding I used joint compound stuff to seal everything up and make it water tight. I then primed and painted the interior. The bottom/outside I used a spray on bed liner. I also used the spray on bedliner on the wheel wells and inside the wheel wells.

I then ran all my wires for amp and power seats before putting in new carpet.

I bought new front seats from a dude parting out a jeep GRAND cherokee and made custom brackets welded into the floor to hold them. I still need to wire up the heated portion of the seats. (I didn't think I needed heated seats in the summer, rethinking that now with the leather and winter)

I installed an in dash DVD player and a back up camera so I can see when backing up (rear windows are dark tinted).

I reupholsterd the overhead console. The ceiling is still holding good.

The next portion of the build is the transfer case chain, then lift and wheels/tires.

If anybody needs jeep engine parts let me know I have:
90 block/head/intake manifold/air box/bolts vacuum lines/ac compressor, hoses
92 exaust manifold/injectors/alternator,generator/cracked tank of power steering pump, pump is still good.

There are a ton of other parts left over and also trying to decide what to do with my 94 XJ.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

forgot to add that this happened over the past year. I bought the jeep in Feb 2009.