Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Build a beast

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default To Build a beast

I'm going to be doing alot of work on my 89 XJ in the next year, I want you guys to help. But first, a little back story.

My first XJ I got 2 years ago, it was a 96 sport, I wheeled in it, i beat it to hell and just generally didnt take care of it. since the body was going to hell and I'm a man of asthetics, i decided to buy a new XJ. I ended up with an 89 pioneer. I bought it for $800, it needed a new fuel filter and a brake booster. after that the rear main seal went, then the trans cooling lines. I've got everything repaired except the rear main seal. I bought it rolling on brand new 30" tires on black d window craigers. it has 1.5" blocks in the rear giving it a nice agressive stance. because of the bigger tires, or something else I havn't found, it stalls when pushing on the gas pedal slightly. i'm looking into solutions. so now I'm parting out my old 96 and I didnt start it for about 8 weeks, thing is 13k miles on the same oil, and i have to start it with a screwdriver cause the lock cylinder broke. but after 8 weeks of sitting in the dead of winter, it starts right up after its second turn over, I couldnt kill this engine if I wanted to. so, I want to use it to work on my 89. I know the computer system is different between the two, so mostly only hardware can be swapped.

SO here's the plan folks:
  • wj/zj suspension and stearing upgrade
  • New CPS, cause mine died
  • 703 injectors
  • 4.5" lift
  • armor
  • and anything i can pull off of my 96 to make it better
That's where i need your help. what can i swap out? I cant do a whole engine or transmission swap because i dont have the means to move such large parts, but I can tear anything apart and put it back together. right now I'm looking at using the throttle body from the 96, unfortunately that would mean using the breather and air cleaner too. this means i have to find some way of eliminating the egr, or just reworking it. and i need a good vacuum diagram for the 89 since mine is a little blurry and unclear.

Pictures and progress soon. I'm willing to take any ideas.