Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Lift

Just got done doing a 2" budget lift from Rubicon. These have been covered thoroughly, but a couple quick things I learned that might be helpful for anybody trying this for the first time:

1) Get friends or at least A friend. A lot of the suspension parts are cumbersome, and an extra pair of hands to help tweak or stretch the suspension while you're pulling and installing different parts would be a huge help.

2) All four of the upper rear shock bolts broke off. I barely torqued them too. Anyway, I needed an air hammer. This apparently is pretty common. So before starting the rear of the vehicle, u might want to make sure you can get your hands on a compressor and air hammer by renting or borrowing. It took literally 2 minutes. I had zero
luck with a hand hammer and screw driver.

3) I threaded those upper rear shock bolts with the 13mm nut taped to a wrench trick (look it up). It was EASY. I see no reason to cut a hole in your floor. Beg, cheat, or steal to get an air hammer to get those old nuts out and rethreading them through the access holes will be no issue.

4) PB blast everything about a week before u start the build. I did this and most nuts came right out without a struggle.

5) I installed the rear leaf springs by using a 2x10 wood board. Jack up the body of ur truck (higher then it already is) Install the front of the leaf spring and carriage bolt. Then place a thick
piece of wood between the frame support and the rear third of the leaf spring. Slowly lower the weight of the jeep body onto the wood/ spring. This helps to flatten the spring and allows a singular person to install a leaf spring (somewhere on this forum, somebody did a much better job explaining this trick).

6) As with any job, expect to run into issues. In concept, this is an easy job. But it honestly was a pain in the ****.

Finally, if you're doing the steering stabilizer while you're in there, know that you'll need a ball joint puller. You can rent them for free from autozone.

Hit me up with any questions.

Budget Lift-image-1204700910.jpg

BEFORE

Budget Lift-image-253440974.jpg

AFTER
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My husband is installing my 3" Rough Country lift this week, I'll give him these tips, thank you so much.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Good job. Thanks! Heading to H/F and getting an air hammer.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 AM

I'm glad it was helpful.