Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black '00 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Black '00 Build

Hello Jeepers. Just your common cherokee owner here, I've decided that I wanted to start a build thread. That way, I can get input from more experienced folk when I'm about to do something wrong or stupid.

Been jeeping for as long as I can remember. That's my dad and one of his CJ7s from back in the day

So I've had my cherokee for about a year and a half. It's stock other than a small pro comp lift on it. 4.0 inline 6, body has about 210k, newer motor with about 130k. 4wd, 3.73 gear ratio, limited slip differentials. Rear axle is a dana 35, front is a dana 30. Interior is in great shape, just had the headliner replaced and added some new speakers where the sun visors were. 4 kenwood marine speakers with a kenwood marine radio. I went with marine so that in the future if I go doorless I won't have to worry about any moisture problems. This is one of the few cherokees I've seen with a sunroof.

Been debating on what I want to do as far as upgrades.
Here's a list as to what I'm sure about..

-swapping rear d35 for the explorer 8.8 axle
-strengthening the unibody with stiffeners
-reinforcing the steering box
-sye kit, longer driveshaft
-chromoly axle shaft for the front d30

Now for the possible upgrades

- RC 6.5" long arm kit
-4.56 gears
- 35" all terrain tires

Here in the past few days my dad has put me on some threads relating to the "low cog" set-up. Basically running as little lift as possible with as big tires as possible. Lower center of gravity, less likely to roll, and a crap load of fender trimming.

Definitely torn between the two options. Fundamentally I understand how the low cog set-up would wheel better. But, I really really really like the looks of the taller lift. Also, I have to take into consideration the type of wheeling I will be doing. In my neck of the woods we have some power line trails, and we get a good bit of snow in the depths of winter. The closest place for some serious wheeling is a place called WindRock approximately 2 hour drive away.

Whichever option I choose it will be a slow process. So I'll try to update periodically with the progress. Advice will always be welcomed, thanks for looking y'all!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Here is the Ford 8.8 axle I got a few days ago. Came out of an explorer that I believe was the early 2000s. Disk brake with 3.73 gear ratio. It matches up with my front d30 gears, so I can do the swap without having to regear at this time. Axle is in great shape, normal rust but I took a wire brush wheel and cleaned it up a bit. Took the diff cover off and all ring teeth were accounted for. Fluid seemed to be in good shape. Put a couple coats of Rustoleum on and then several coats of the cheapest black rattle cans I could find. Very pleased
Old 10-31-2015, 02:31 PM

Build update:
To make a long story short, a friend of my dad is going to do a lot of the "need to know what you're doing" parts of the build. The best part is he is only going to charge $30/hr. Here's what I'm thinking of paying him to do..

-long arm lift install
-8.8 axle swap
4.56 gears
-welding stiffeners in place

What I'm going to try to do myself and save money are...
-Prepping for stiffeners
-SYE/driveshaft
-steering box brace kit
-install chromoly d30 shaft in front axle

I know there are how to videos on the internet on how to do all of these things. But I would rather pay for someone to do it right than for me to screw something up and end up paying in the long run.

So right now I'm just making a parts list and will get started with the DIY jobs as soon as I get a break from school. I'd love to have this baby done in time for the snow.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM

Scrap wood from a remodel put to good use.

Here you can see where the new marine speakers are.