Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cherokee build, this is my 3rd,,haha

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Another cherokee build, this is my 3rd,,haha

So I traded the xj I previously owned for a harley, which I am happy with the trade... miss my cherokees though, have had a couple already..(as AZ77, one of my BCC club members personally knows as he has my 99 now)
Anyway, so got another cherokee from my roomates to play with and use as a daily driver...here's the specs and no I don't know how long I will keep it, but it's fun to build it...
1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0HO engine, AW4 transmission, NP231 Transmission, Dana30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear with 27 spline axles, electric windows, locks, tilt, cruise, a nice comfy ride. When I got it , it ran fine with just a few lil mechanical issues (leaks and non working interior lights), worn springs and shocks, etc. The good was it runs good, gets good gas mileage, seems solid with no rust and a good interior.

here's a pic when I got it...

In the last couple weeks I have concentrated on fixing little things like vacuum leaks, interior lights, oil change, etc. Also thanks to KJ got some better tires and rims for it! Also bought from AZ77 Jody's old 8.25 rear axle with a lockrite in it, and got a spectre air filter with some pvc pipe from 00DC jeep. Here's how it looks now...

I am not making a rock crawler, more of just an around town/camping vehicle so the mods will not be extreme. Got the tires on and they barely fit, but don't rub around town. Still have to retrofit the pvc pipe and cone filter for my easier breating capabilities, as well as get off my *** and get the lockrite installed. As the springs are weak, looking to do a small lift in the 2.5 to 3 inch variety just to clear the 245/75-16's which I got from KJ. Regearing will be in the works later down the road, as the just under 31 inch tires will not affect gas mileage too much. Gearing will be in the 4.56 to 4.88 variety when I move up to 33 inch (285 metric) size tire. A budget roof rack, budget rear tire carrier (probaby made from a hitch mounted bike carrier, some lights, and a front bumper down the road as well as some zj components to strengthen the front up...

comments/suggestions always welcome!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Before the tire swap, I was getting 17.5 mpg in town and about 22 or so on the highway, using 225/75-15 tires which calculate to 28.3 inches high, 8.9 inches wide,,,the tires you see in the second pic are 245/75-16 which translates to 30.5 high, 9.6 wide,, so a small increase all the way around, just under a common 31x10.50x15 common tire size, so I figure I will lose about 2mpg, but will update you on my next tank fill.
The next upgrade will be a small suspension lift, probably in the 2 to 3 inch range...stay tuned.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: Renix 4.0L

3rd buuild?? Daaang! Im still on my first. I couldnt imagine a 3rd
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dev_daddy
3rd buuild?? Daaang! Im still on my first. I couldnt imagine a 3rd
both of the others I built and used, and ending up selling to friends who have them and love them to this day,, much of my pleasure is in the build in my eyes.. but this one I am planning on keeping as a fun vehicle/daily driver!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rikinwyoming

both of the others I built and used, and ending up selling to friends who have them and love them to this day,, much of my pleasure is in the build in my eyes.. but this one I am planning on keeping as a fun vehicle/daily driver!
Yeah that makes sense then!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 l

Hey i have a question. Be as this is your 3rd build......... im looking to put a new motor in my cherokee. Has a 2.8 with just about 300xxx. I was thinking a nice fuel injected 318 or some thing simmilar. What would be the best and easiest to do. And i have the old ba10 tranny in it????? I have a 30/44 set to put under it to handle the power. Just curious. You message me or whatever thank you. And im not trying to thread jack you just seemed pretty knowledgeable
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Amcjeep
Hey i have a question. Be as this is your 3rd build......... im looking to put a new motor in my cherokee. Has a 2.8 with just about 300xxx. I was thinking a nice fuel injected 318 or some thing simmilar. What would be the best and easiest to do. And i have the old ba10 tranny in it????? I have a 30/44 set to put under it to handle the power. Just curious. You message me or whatever thank you. And im not trying to thread jack you just seemed pretty knowledgeable
Your peugot needs to go! Get an AX-15 and any swap will work
Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by dev_daddy
Your peugot needs to go! Get an AX-15 and any swap will work
I agree, the peugot tranny needs to go,,, replace with an ax15 manual or aw4 automatic, both are good trannys and easy to swap in. As far as engine options, I would suggest the 4.0HO motor found in many cherokees,,, they do a good job.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rikinwyoming

I agree, the peugot tranny needs to go,,, replace with an ax15 manual or aw4 automatic, both are good trannys and easy to swap in. As far as engine options, I would suggest the 4.0HO motor found in many cherokees,,, they do a good job.
Dont get an aw4, its an electronically controlled tranny. Youll have to install a whole module and wiring harness. I say keep it simple with the ax.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 l

Well i have my hands on an ax15 ive had a few other cherokees that had it and i never had any problems with it. As for the 4.0. Its a great motor but ive never been impressed with the gas millage. I helped a friend put a 318 in his jeep a few years back and he got great power as well as about 25 or 26 on hwy. If there is a way to get better millage from the 4.0 then im all ears cuz it is prolly one of the best motors ive come accross. Thanks guys for all the info. And i look forward to more from yall thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM

I haven't updated in a while,,, holidays and such,,, I am sure ya'll understand...
I spent some time fixing interior lights, cleaning up the engine compartment, etc,,,, and drove her around a few weeks...
About a week or so ago I picked up 3 inch lift coils for the front, and picked up 4 catepillar offroad lights (2 spot, 2 flood, not on yet till I get my roof rack), and sent a pair of stock rear leaf packs out to get rearched by a local 4x4 club member in my group who works at peterbuilt...
Then..
Today I replaced the valve cover gasket (easy job and a new felpro gasket later), did a tune up, replaced the oil pressure sending unit as it was leaking oil as well. New unit is showing my oil pressure from 45psi (idle) to just under 70psi (running down the road).

So today I installed a roof rack, added some extra cargo hoops as that is where I decided to mount the spare (behind the roof rack), last night got the rear leaf packs back from my friend and hopefully will get some shoptime to put the lift on tomorrow...

Tire is in the rack right now because I haven't made a mount for it on the back cargo hoops yet, still have to make mounting brackets for the offroad lights as well!
Here's the only pic I took today...
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Today I got the lift on, and so far so good,,, the oil pressure calmed down and is now at 40 at startup and about 55 during driving... as far as tow points, the rear has a 2 inch hitch so I have a tow point on that, and the front I will probably fab a custom bumper to tie much deeper into the unibody as I don't trust it either...as far as the springs, we will have to see, but time will tell if the re-arched springs sag or not...as it is I need longer shackles to even out the back, so I will be picking up a 1-2 inch lift shackle as well. I did remove front and rear sway bars, so it flex's like a beast,,, I am debate on what shocks to use as replacements, as without the swaybars I would like a stronger shock to take up a little of the slack from removal of the sway bars,,, but all in all she is coming along well.

Last edited by rikinwyoming; 12-11-2011 at 10:01 PM.