Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Cherokee Buildin' on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 Cherokee Buildin' on a Budget

I decided to build a nice wheeler/DD out of my 99 2wd cherokee. Picked it up about 8 months ago with a busted rear hatch and no rear bumper for $900 bucks. Power everything and only 120k miles when i bought it. absolutely no rust and the interior was in excellent shape. I plan on painting, lifting, and converting to 4wd in that order. I have a good line on donor vehicles so parts wont be a problem. After the 4wd conversion i plan on putting some flat black soft 8s with 31s on it as well as custom front and rear bumpers. I have access to a welder so i will be building them myself. I only have about $1300 total in the jeep right now and i plan on only spending about $500 on the lift and 4wd conversion. People like to junk lifted jeeps around here for some reason so i should be able to pull a lift off a junked cherokee.

I replaced the hatch and rear bumper, $75 total at a local junkyard. Tried to paint the bumper to match but it wasnt perfect. The hatch i rattle canned later and it turned out horrible.

I Drove it like this for about 2 months and got tired of the horrible paint, decided it was about time to start my project. Step 1: New Paint!!

The paint is Rustoleum Gloss Black rolled on, theres still some orange peel but it has not been wet sanded or buffed yet. Im already getting jaw drops when i tell people its rolled on. Paint total was around 100 bucks.