Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96xj: Involuntary build! (AKA Clifford, the big red jeep)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96xj: Involuntary build! (AKA Clifford, the big red jeep)

Alright, alright. I'm new here, so I figured I'd start my time here off by posting my build. But anyway heres what brings me here:

I never really had an interest in jeeps to be totally honest. I'm much more of a RWD turbo kinda guy. I fell in love with volvos, and still have an immaculate 240 as a weekender. I had an S70, hated it, wound up totaling it, wrapping around a telephone pole at 75mph. Somehow lived. (Guess they were good for something!) But anyway, after deciding not to DD the 240, I decided to get something good in the snow for these annoying Pennsylvania snow storms. I wound up test driving some audis, trucks, land rovers, until I decided to quit wasting my time and try a jeep. I fell in love. The way it handled, the way the clutch felt, the feeling of complete reliability. I was sold. So I found this bad boy

*ITS TO THE RIGHT OF THE VOLVO FOR THOSE THAT CANT TELL*

But its:
1996 Xj
165k Miles
2k miles on tranny (AX-15)
Perfect exterior
New clutch

It all cost me 3000 with a bullcrap warranty (didnt pay for the warranty after haggling )
Tradgedy struck after about 10k miles. It didnt pass inspection. It was diagnosed with the east coast cancer... ughhhh.
Heres what I wound up with after hours of cutting/patching/swearing/crying:

Yes its patched with steel, rivets, silicon sealer, bondo, and undercoat!
And if anyone noticed the inner shift boot, yes, its shawgnutz's guide found here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/sh...rebuild-28766/
It worked AMAZINGLY well, all in all took about 40 minutes. Mine was totally blown out.Heres a closer shot of the results:

I love this car, and I intend on making it a comfortable daily driver. I'm not intending on going off roading all the time, so if I go lifted, it wont be anything crazy, but definitely check back if you want to see a reliable, quick, comfortable ride being build I'm seriously looking to spend around 5k on this beast, so lets see where it takes us!

That's what I have thus far, tomorrow I have the pleasure of re installing the interior, then off for PA's stupid inspection process....darn.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6

I love the name Clifford lol

I just recently got my first ( and second) jeep and kinda running into similar problems. I will be checking in on your build