Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 XJ Sport 4X4 Build up-

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '95 XJ Sport 4X4 Build up-

So I got the Jeep on Saturday almost a week ago...

Guy was asking $1200 (thought that would be a good deal since I had $2K to spend on an XJ- this will be our 5th car so not really NEEDED, but my old Toyota 4Runner is a rust bucket that needs a new home soon- someone who will use the running gears for a custom build because the body is sad). Got there to look at the XJ and he told me right off that he needed it gone ASAP and was desperate for $$ and would take $650. Me being the cheapskate I am offered him $600 after looking at it and was soon loading it onto my buddies car trailer. Thing is the Jeep was not drivable- it has no serpantine belt because the PS pump bearings went out, pulley came off and belt was torn (and no PS tensioner pully to put new one on). I heard it run for about a minute and it ran smooth, but without H2O pump didn't want it to overheat so only drove it as far as onto the trailer and back off again.

Scored a PS pump at Pick N Pull yesterday. Got it cleaned up and painted last night (after dark when I got home). Today got it installed and took the XJ for a test drive. Ran well, but still needs and oil change so just went around the block. I ran out of daylight and still need to bleed the PS- it was working fine but making noise due to air. Doing the PS bleed and oil change tomorrow. Going out of town for the weekend or I would get the plates on it and run her a bit over the weekend.

Also got really lucky on the missing rim (looked all over JY whn I was there Wed with no luck)- Jeep came with 6 rims but no set of 4 that match. I have 3 that match and a guy at work with an XJ has the same rims, including spare. He told me I could have the spare if I give him a functional spare tire!! I was looking for a set of canyon rims but they got bought out from under me ( I guess sometimes I am too cheap). Have a line on another set of wheels- aluminum 5 spokes from a mid 90s Wrangler. Set of 4 for $50 but it is a two hour drive each way to get them... I have a set of Cooper tires from my 4Runner in the garage- they are 29.5X9.5 but more of a street tread than off road meats. I would like a second set of Jeep wheels to mount them on though.

Tomorrow I will get my set of wheels, tires were special order and will be here next week. Got a steal of a deal on the tires- been hunting CraigsList trying to find a set of 31X10.5 to go with the 3" lift I am planning without spending more than I wanted ($300 was the cheapest set with only 50% tread left). Looking at Wal-Mart last night at CB antenae I went to the tire dept. on a whim and asked what the cheapest 31" tire they had was. Tire guy looked it up and thought something was wrong- had GY 31" tires for $75 each showing in computer. Called over his manager and she said if that is the price it says then sell them. Well they had none in stock but warehouse showed 4 in stock. Told him to order them for me and call me when he found out (we both figured it was a mistake). 15 minutes later he called me and told me they were on order for me @ $75 each and will be here in 4-5 business days. GoodYear MTR, set of 4 new for $300!

Ordered the Rough Country 3" lift from JC Whitney today. With tires and lift kit and JY parts I am almost at $1100 total into the Jeep. My Jeep budget to get it ready is $2K so I still have some money for stereo and other goodies- gotta figure out what else I need once I start driving it. I didn't think to check if the A/C worked when I went for test drive, but I did not get the electric fan back in so probably for the best.

I'm just happy it is now drivable, when I got it the PS pump was in pieces with no belt so I only heard it run for about 1 minute (no water pump/alternator) before I bought it. Only drove it up onto the trailer and back off again (about 100' total) before today. Drove nice and tight at 55MPH tonight (sigh of relief!). I only took it around the block but I live in the country and my blocks are 1 mile long each... nice 4 mile test drive.
Whoo-hoo!

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow. Hopefully I can get started on the lift in the next couple of weeks. I want to drive it as it is for at least a week and make sure I have any bugs found before I do the lift.

Plans for the build are:

Paint rims black
RC 3" lift (AAL for now)
CB radio install
Stereo of some sort (only has a hole in the dash right now)
Front and rear bumpers. Am thinking of fabbing up some- I work at a steel place so get materials at cost and have access to some fabrication guys who do this stuff full time, not to mention a whole bunch of cool tools/welders.

Once that is all done I'll have to figure out what to do next- I will keep my eyes out for a 4.2 so I can build a stroker at some point. I've never done it but my brother has done a couple... Maybe rear discs...

Last edited by Destro; 04-23-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Great write up but we need pics!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

yes X2 on the picts
Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I will take some pictures of the Jeep as it sits tonight. I meant to this morning but the batteries in my camera were not charged.

~K
Old 04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

OK pictures tonight.

So far I haven't had much time for wrenching but I did get some more parts ordered.

Got the lift on order- 3" Rough Country with AAL and the RC Hydro 8000 shocks. I wanted to do the Nitro 9000 shocks but not available as an upgrade from JC Whitney. I did have a coupon and they price matched RC website for the steering stabilizer and shock boots so grand total with lift, 5 shock boots and steering stabilizer was $249. Not bad at all.

Found some Canyon rims on CL and talked the guy down but just a few minutes ago he called and said someone else offered more. I don't have the $$ to match the other guy right now so looks like I am sticking with one set of wheels for now unless I can find a set of 8" wide wheels I like for $125 or less.

Tires came in, gotta get the rims over there next week to get installed- part of the reason I wanted to get the Canyon wheels was so the Jeep didn't have to live on jackstands while I get the new tires mounted (and then not drive the Jeep until the lift gets installed). 31" tires will fit under a stock Jeep but will rub bad so no driving. It will make a nice driveway ornament though...

Tomorrow weather is supposed to be good so I am going to finish the Jeep and have it ready for the road. I want to drive it for a few days before doing the tires (and then waiting for the lift) to make sure all is well mechanically. I have only put 4 miles on it since I got it...
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

OK time for an update and the long awaited pics:

Got the tires and lift installed, never did get a second set of wheels. Had a couple I was looking at but they all keep getting sold before I can make it out to them. :-(

Painted my stockers black right before getting the new tires mounted, got the new tires on the day of the lift install. Got the lift installed and ended up building my Bastard Pack 3 times, no fun at all! First build was with XJ main (left in place on the Jeep), then the Dakota main that was cut down to size followed by the rest of the Dakota leaves less the fat helper spring. I put in the XJ helper on the drivers side (done first). Did the passenger side and the XJ helper would not come free from the center pin- ended up cracking it in half trying to get it out. Took the XJ helper out of the other side and it was cracked too... Drove it and thought it was a bit loose feeling in the back (I will be towing my boat with the XJ as well as wheeling it) so I decided to put the 1/2" thick Dakota helper spring in both sides. Got about 4.5" of lift and still only had 3" up front- found a set of XJ spring isolators on CL for $10 so I picked them up and got 3.75" up front. Was still feeling really downhill so I added another 1/2" spacer up front- now I am sitting at 4.25" in the front and 4.75" in the back because once I removed all my tools from the back of the XJ (was going to the JY in the XJ getting parts N such, and kept them in the back for ease of lift install) I was actually at 4.75". Amazing what 150# or so of tools will do!

Here are the pics- they show why I need to do the following still:

1) Relocate track bar mount or get adjustable track bar
2) Get my front and rear bumpers done
3) Boatside (square tube) the rockers. This will fix the rust as well as give me more rigidity in the body and rock rails. :-)

After those are done not sure what I will work on - but I'm sure I'll think of something (provided nothing breaks that NEEDS attention!).