Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 XJ Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 91 XJ Laredo

Picked this XJ up a little over a year. My uncle works at a tow yard and I asked him to find one for me, and he did. I got this for $500, clean title, 130k miles. The only thing wrong with it was a busted P/S Pressure hose, fixed that. The Heater Control Valve split, fixed that. The speakers seem to be shot, going to order 4 6.5's, new deck, possibly an amp and sub.

The interior was really clean. No rips or tears. It really doesn't appear to be its age.

It wasnt until last month that I brought it back to my place to mess with it. It was sitting at my gf parents for the past year. They live next to a farm. After I got it here I found a cute little rat "nest" in the engine bay I had to clean that out and get rid of the dead rodents. I have left the hood open ever since to get ride of that foul scent. They were in the corner on the firewall side in front of the blower motor.

First thing I did was order a budget 3 inch lift kit for now. I also bought some used rims for it. Guy didnt have them on for long, switched them out for some white ones I think. They look in pretty good condition and I got them fairly cheap.

I finally decided to get the rear apart. First pain in the ***. Taking the wheels off. They were torqued to hell. A couple of nuts stripped which sucked. Then I finally got them off. Second problem, the passenger side wheel was rusted on to the drum. Took a good beating to take it off. Leaf springs didn't look to good so I got some decent ones from CL. Took the grinder and put the wires brush on. I am going to paint those black.

I then took the shocks off. One of the bolts, after it came out about 1/4 inch, snapped no surprise their. Next thing I did was to take the leafs and shackles off.

So the rear bolts come off with a little bit of work. The front passenger leaf spring finally loosened up. Of course that would be to easy, it is stuck to the sleeve.

I had to cut the bolt off.

Currently that is where I am stuck at. It's still not coming off. I pulled it, tried a pry bar, nothing. If I can't get it off I am going to go nuts with the grinder and cut that thing into pieces! Since I already have a set leafs that wouldn't be a problem. I don't really feel like cutting the inside to get into that part, the leaf is garbage anyways.

All in all this has been a pretty big pain. I thought it was going to go smoother but eh whatever. I still need to order some shocks. At work I am trying to see what stock vehicle is going to have the extended shocks I need. I am also researching what tires to get. Since this isn't my DD I want to go with some M/T. I have heard people liking the Pep Boys special. Although one of my accounts is a tire shop and he quoted me $120 a tire for some 31X10.5x15 Yokohama Geolander MT's http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_mt.aspx for a few extra bucks more I can get tires within the same range. I plan on using my gun to shoot a few of the parts, ie diff covers, suspension odds and ends.

Those are my immediate plans on the jeep. I want to change the suspension bushings and the steering dampener. I also want to try that interior rhino lining, looks like a real good idea. My buddy does custom vehicle painting so I might have him throw some new paint on it. I have so many other things I want to do to it but have to spread my money to a bunch of other hobbies I have. I'll keep you guys posted on whats next to come.
-Adrian
Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 H.O I6

Good Start bro! You have the same Jeep as me!
First one I've ever seen with the same color everything! Get that build going man! Just dont make it look too much like mine lol!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice clean looking Jeep. Good luck with the build
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 6 inline 4l

good start man
and good luck to both 91 laredos
Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by c_kdna
good start man
and good luck to both 91 laredos
Lol thanks a lot man! Good luck to you too, i really like that red XJ you had/have.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Hey bro, how are things going! Any Updates?