Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Jeep XJ not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 91 Jeep XJ not starting

Good day every one. I’m new to the Jeep community and am in need of some help. I have a 1991 XJ that I picked up fairly cheap. When I bought it the young man stated that it would start but immediately shut off which made me think something wrong with the ignition but when the jeep arrived at my house I learned that it had a broken steering column. I began by replacing the steering column and key and then could get the vehicle to crank but it would backfire. And then proceeded to check the timing and put the Jeep in timing (4.0). The vehicle would just crank and not start. Make sure all the grounds we’re taking off and cleaned and still no start. I then verified that I had spark and as it appeared week I replaced the ignition coil, the crank position sensor, spark plugs spark plug wires, rotor, distributor, cap just to be safe. When replacing the CPS I did learn that he had recently been replaced along with the throttle position sensor. Still the jeep will not start only cranks. With the ignition is turned on you can hear the fuel pump and with ignition on we’re getting 45 psi at the rail and went cranking 55 psi. We’ve tried starter fluid, we also checked the neutral safety switch and still nothing. I took the computer in to be tested I was advised that the computer is good as well as previous repairs done to it have held up well. I was told to test pin six at the computer for 5 V and pin seven for 8 V and they both checked out, was also asked to check pin 24 And I get anywhere between 7 to 8 V while cranking. I was told the pen 19 should have the same amount of voltage as the battery one not cranking however I’m getting .24 V there. I will be tracing this wire to see if there’s damage however wanted to see if there’s anything else anyone can think of that may help us get this jeep to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance!