Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5150 Cherokee...Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 5150 Cherokee...Ideas?

Alright , that time of the year is coming around where the 4wd xj is not needed to get to work (didn't need it in Wisconsin, we have had ZERO SNOW AHHHH!!!) and I can gather what I want to do. So I have some simple questions and I am Just looking for advice. I plan to keep you all updated on the progress.

My fairly stock 96 Cherokee

Im debating on type of lift and tires. My original plan was a mix and match rough country and Rusty's 6.5 long arm with Skyjacker suspension. I also planned on Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 33" Because of the grip yet wearing rating for the road. Is this too big?? I also planed on getting adjustable shocks and such to keep it tight on the road because I will want to drive this thing all winter and to trails other times.
I obviously would like to do it as cheap as possible but am not afraid to spend money if needed. Ideas?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

6.5 is to high. I run 36's on 5.5 no rub lock to lock. I would do a 4.5 RC long arm, BFG KM2's 33's any thing left over I would go for a front locker. Looks like you do a lot of mud but a lift wont get your axles off the ground. I like to keep it low with big tires. I may have started in mud but found rocks and the rush you get on them. With this set up you will be best of both words and your wallet.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Well the Idea Is I will take this rig across the States and if i could get it over seas , I would lol. So im building a reliable truck that can drive to the trails. I love BFG but last set I had wore very fast on the street. 4.5 long arm with rear shackles ? Also correct me if im wrong ive been told since most power goes to rear and the front end on a stock xj is not as strong rear locker first until you beef up the front end?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Yes lift with new leaf packs or shackles. And yes most of your power goes to the rear but most of the weight is in the front. Your XJ looks like a 97+ and if it is like mine has limited slip in the rear. So for trails I would add a locker in the front and run 2 e-brake handles for right and left. Cutting brakes like on a tractor. If you ask me it would make it the most usefull set up with stock axles. And your front axle is weaker then the rear. But a front D30 all stock will hold up just fine with a locker. Ask 89eliminator his front has been locked with 33's for years and only broke once. As for the tires everyone I know personally that has run the KM2's loves them and says they hold up good on the road. These are just the people I know personally. There might be a guy on line who swears they don't and didn't have his aliment right.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I've owned nothing but BFGs. My opinion is: KM1s are awesome in everything except rain... KM2s are awesome offroad but nothing on-road. But I've never had a set wear fast. I've put about 40,000 miles on the KM1s on my Jeep and they still look great. I'd stick with your initial Duratrac selection...

Originally Posted by brutalxj
Your XJ looks like a 97+ and if it is like mine has limited slip in the rear.
I'm still trying to figure out which part of his Jeep looks like a late model... It's certainly not a late model. He won't have a LSD in it.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks guys, btw I have 96 Cherokee written above the pic lol. I appreciate all of this.