North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Starter - can't replicate problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starter - can't replicate problem

Greetings to all.
I am currently in midst of trying to solve a problem with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2008.
Twice in 5 weeks, car after being left for several hours, would not start. Once towed to local mechanic. He kept 3 days and had to give up as everytime he started it - you guessed - it started.
Two weeks later - same thing. This time left the car in the lot and sure enough it started the next day. This time went to a local dealership who has now had car 7 days. THEY TELL ME THAT THEY CAN'T FIX WHAT THEY CANNOT DUPLICATE! They start car hot/cold and the darned thing starts every time.
I now have Michigan involved on this. They tried to tell me the same story but did call the dealership. All just want me to take the vehicle back and IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN - TOW IT IN. Hello: This is what I have been doing. I've told all that it does not make sense to take it back when NO solution has been found and taking chance of being in rural area, unsafe area and such when this happens. Again. Fed up.
I am relieved, however, that others have had this happen and some have found solutions.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Check the neutral safety switch. When it won't start shift it into neutral and see if it starts. The nss went on my xj and it was an intermittent problem. It took me forever to figure it wouldn't start until one of my friends told me to put it in neutral and it fired right up. Just something to try.