Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Starting my Spring Build

Been off here for awhile. .. Missed you.

Questions. 3 link or 4 link for the front?

Got some extra $$. Considering putting coils in the rear and linking that axle as well. Pros? Cons?

Going to be caging the whole thing. I DO NOT want holes in my roof. Can that be done if everything is welded bumpers and sliders? I DO NOT want my interior messed with.

Thanks for your help.

SeaBass.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

A 4 link will require soft joints on at least one arm, 3 link can run all heims but everything has to be beefier since a failure will be a lot more catastrophic on a 3 link.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 link rides better than a 3 link. 4 link flexes great, look at dustins red jeep he built last year and also jesses.
like what mr frajita said 3 link and failure, better hope it doesnt happen.
you know my opinion on coiled rear..., just remember the closer to stock angles you can get on your arms the better your xj will ride.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I would say 3link but I guess we need to know driving habits or how the rig will be used I assume you plan to keep it legit due to keeping interior In tack. ? Four link does not need a soft joint Other than for comfort form what I've read
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If not willing to put tube inside to properly brace the EXO...forget the exo.

A radius arm front will work just fine for Flexing...road manners...and climbing waterfalls/ledges...my radius arms never unloaded even on cleveland rock . I'm only stating this B/C radius arms are more cost effective and easier to package for install .

Rear coil link can be a waste of money VS just setting up a quality set of leafs and good shackles with proper angle ...I guess if you think you'll get the money out of them you put into them then go for it , But I don't think I have done anything on coils I could not with leafs .

What are you going to be running for Axles...gears/lockers...Ect .
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Run a 3 link. they are fine. 50% of the rigs at Hammers had a 3 link including ours. 4 is fine but a pain. 3 Link is easy to do. Just run two longer arms to the lowers and 1 to the upper passenger side and you will enjoy it. Raise your trac bar up if you can. No reason to run rear coils unless you simply just want to. Talk to Josh at Hooligans if you do. He has been on rear coils for a while and can tell you all about them but unless you just want to spend money dont. You would be better off using chevy coils to stretch a couple inches and soften the ride.

You can run an EXO with out interior bracing but it is kinda pointless really. You need the interior bracings to support if you flop. The easiest way would be to use plates. Cap you tube with plate on both sides then bolt through the roof. only holes needed ar for the bolts but you can seal them without even knowing they are there.

Originally Posted by dogger15
just remember the closer to stock angles you can get on your arms the better your xj will ride.
What?? Not really sure what stock angles are but you are not talking about short arms.... To put it simply... for a basic 3 link you want your lowers as level as possible and your upper to be mounted directly above the lower. You will have to adjust for the best pinion angle throughout the travel. 4 link.... eh dont waste you time on an xj front... Can be done but a pain in the but and with out heavy mods it really is not worth it..... Do a 3 link... easy to do..

Last edited by Dsach; 02-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsach
Run a 3 link. they are fine. 50% of the rigs at Hammers had a 3 link including ours. 4 is fine but a pain. 3 Link is easy to do. Just run two longer arms to the lowers and 1 to the upper passenger side and you will enjoy it. Raise your trac bar up if you can. No reason to run rear coils unless you simply just want to. Talk to Josh at Hooligans if you do. He has been on rear coils for a while and can tell you all about them but unless you just want to spend money dont. You would be better off using chevy coils to stretch a couple inches and soften the ride.

You can run an EXO with out interior bracing but it is kinda pointless really. You need the interior bracings to support if you flop. The easiest way would be to use plates. Cap you tube with plate on both sides then bolt through the roof. only holes needed ar for the bolts but you can seal them without even knowing they are there.

What?? Not really sure what stock angles are but you are not talking about short arms.... To put it simply... for a basic 3 link you want your lowers as level as possible and your upper to be mounted directly above the lower. You will have to adjust for the best pinion angle throughout the travel. 4 link.... eh dont waste you time on an xj front... Can be done but a pain in the but and with out heavy mods it really is not worth it..... Do a 3 link... easy to do..
A stock xj's arms...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

TNT high clearance arms/crossmember and rear coil over conversion rear too. Radius arm front, triangulated 4link resr. Oh yeah, jp magazine just did writeup on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
A stock xj's arms...

yes, comparing the control arm angles. the closer to a stock angle you can get on your control arms the better it will ride
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And also 37in ssrs.