heatsoak in tucson

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default heatsoak in tucson

I know this should probably go into the tech section, but I am having a problem with the heat giving me the cylinder 3 misfire. I already tried the TSB fix and it did not help. I live in tucson with lots of stop and go traffic. any recommendations on what i could do to fix this annoyance? i know its not a real problem, but it will be a problem come registration time and i cant get the cel to go away.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

you could try going to a cooler plug pending on what your using, but ive never had the heat cause a misfire before. Going to install hood louvres on my jeep soon as I get a chance as thats suppose to help a bit here
Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Blmhawkeye
you could try going to a cooler plug pending on what your using, but ive never had the heat cause a misfire before. Going to install hood louvres on my jeep soon as I get a chance as thats suppose to help a bit here
Hood vents helped on mine so did a ceramic coated header
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The heat soak is caused by the injector getting hot from underhood temperatures, not the spark plugs.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by eignub
I know this should probably go into the tech section, but I am having a problem with the heat giving me the cylinder 3 misfire. I already tried the TSB fix and it did not help. I live in tucson with lots of stop and go traffic. any recommendations on what i could do to fix this annoyance? i know its not a real problem, but it will be a problem come registration time and i cant get the cel to go away.
If it were me, I would run a real good injector cleaner through it that not only cleans the injectors, but cleans carbon from the combustion chmber.

BG44K is what you want. add a can to a full tank of gas and drive it til the tank is down to 1/4 or less.

Have to ask when the last time was you did plugs, wires, cap and rotor also. What plugs are you using BTW?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM

I suggested a cooler plug as they tend to not have the engine temps as high, least in my experience.

Seafoam products have worked well for me as cleaners go.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
If it were me, I would run a real good injector cleaner through it that not only cleans the injectors, but cleans carbon from the combustion chmber.

BG44K is what you want. add a can to a full tank of gas and drive it til the tank is down to 1/4 or less.

Have to ask when the last time was you did plugs, wires, cap and rotor also. What plugs are you using BTW?
I just bought it about a month ago, so I am not sure when the maintenance was last done.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM

I suggested a cooler plug as they tend to not have the engine temps as high, least in my experience.

Seafoam products have worked well for me as cleaners go.
A cooler plug keeps LESS heat in the plug and more heat in the chamber.

Seafoam doesn't hold a candle to the effectiveness of 44K.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM

I just bought it about a month ago, so I am not sure when the maintenance was last done.
Oops. 2001 doesn't have cap, rotor, and wires. Why not put a new set of NGKs in it?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM

never seen or used 44k, just know that alot of Ford inline guys swear by Seafoam and that when I used it it cleaned my valves very well
Old 08-17-2013, 06:17 PM

never seen or used 44k, just know that alot of Ford inline guys swear by Seafoam and that when I used it it cleaned my valves very well
I've been using it since the early 80s. Seafoam doesn't hold a candle to it. BG products are recommended by most of the high end European manufacturers.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Ok I don't think it's all the cleaning stuff that's gonna fix it, maybe but I doubt it. I believe it's a problem with those stupid resonators. I live in between Death Valley and Vegas, and my dads 2000 does it too. He has a brand new engine, and just about everything else with about 3k miles on it. My 96 doesn't get it, and the biggest difference between his and mine is exhaust and ignition system.

It goes away once you are not sitting right?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalxJ4.0
Ok I don't think it's all the cleaning stuff that's gonna fix it, maybe but I doubt it. I believe it's a problem with those stupid resonators. I live in between Death Valley and Vegas, and my dads 2000 does it too. He has a brand new engine, and just about everything else with about 3k miles on it. My 96 doesn't get it, and the biggest difference between his and mine is exhaust and ignition system.

Yep, there was a TSB to address the injectors getting hot. OP performed that IIRC. But, the hot injectors could now be coked up with hot fuel residue. Adding 44K to a tank and running it out can't hurt and could possibly help.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalxJ4.0

yeah, it goes away after a minute or so, apparently the time to get the fuel flowing through the injector again.

i might try some of that BG 44k that crusier is recommending. a bit pricey but worth it if it helps. ill check the condition of the plugs next day off.

ill agree with hawkeye about the seafoam being decent. i used to use it in my ford fairmont (inline 6 also), but it was rebuilt and well maintained, so maybe it didnt have much to clean up anyways.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 AM

Is the intake manifold missing the heat shield ?

Quick Reply: heatsoak in tucson