Pacific Southwest California & Nevada

Cash for Clunkers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cash for Clunkers

Cash for clunkers = a goldmine at junkyards. On a recent trip to Pick a Part in Hesperia I was amazed on what I had discovered. Usually there has always been a handful of Cherokees at any given time (4 to 6). On Sunday there were at least 20 Cherokees of all years in just about every configuration. There was 1 Cherokee in particular that was just sickening. It was a 96-newer that was in mint condition extremely clean and straight. Made me wonder why in the hell would somebody trade that in? Pick a Part no longer sells complete bodies (part of the clunker deal). Another disturbing part of the clunker deal is that the wrecking yards are required to ruin the motors. They drain the fluids, fill the motor with a chemical and run them till they are destroyed. All the cars have written on them "bad motor". They no longer sell complete motors either. That 1 jeep's motor looked brand new too. Besides that, there was just about every part that one might need in abundance. There are also lots of newer Ford, Chevy and Dodge vehicles there. A few months ago I was looking for parts for my Expedition when they were almost non-existence at a Pick a Part, now they are a dime a dozen there too. Happy searching.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

That's nothing, I was out at the pick and pull in NY and saw about 25 97+ Cherokee's, an 05 Dodge 3500 (mint except the motor now), an 03 Jeep Liberty (mint but again the motor) a couple of 00+ Chevy 2500's. That Cash for Clunkers thing was a scam, the government wanted it to look like the economy is improving, so they made it easy for people to go get a new car, got the sales numbers up cuz banks were approving everyone. I want to see what the repo numbers look like in a year though, my prediction is that 50% of the people who got the Cash for Clunkers deal can't really afford it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sv41878
That's nothing, I was out at the pick and pull in NY and saw about 25 97+ Cherokee's, an 05 Dodge 3500 (mint except the motor now), an 03 Jeep Liberty (mint but again the motor) a couple of 00+ Chevy 2500's. That Cash for Clunkers thing was a scam, the government wanted it to look like the economy is improving, so they made it easy for people to go get a new car, got the sales numbers up cuz banks were approving everyone. I want to see what the repo numbers look like in a year though, my prediction is that 50% of the people who got the Cash for Clunkers deal can't really afford it.
they got 4500 dollars for the Cash for Clunkers right? Who in there right mind would bring in a 2005 Dodge one ton???? That truck is worth alot more than that with tons of miles on it!!! Stupid ****!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I got a full set of power leather seats for $90 out of a limited. Not a rip in them.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by sv41878
That's great. sounds like you have a lot better selection there in N.Y. I know in Cal the junkyards I went to always only had a handful of cherokees most of which were already robbed of all the good part. Now the whole Cash for Clunkers deal (scam) or whatever which I never participated in doesnt matter to me. What it did do though is flood the junkyards with a lot more newer vehicles to choose from and a lot of cherokees.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 AM

CARS wasn't a scam. It wasn't a way to make the economy look like it was improving, just a way to get people into newer cars so that car corps would quit going under. The 4,500 was the limit on what you could get and it all depended on what you brought in. Most of the time people only got KBB trade in value. That put a lot of peopl off from getting into it.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Originally Posted by scifi266
CARS wasn't a scam. It wasn't a way to make the economy look like it was improving, just a way to get people into newer cars so that car corps would quit going under. The 4,500 was the limit on what you could get and it all depended on what you brought in. Most of the time people only got KBB trade in value. That put a lot of peopl off from getting into it.

Don't know what they did out there, but here everybody that got less than 20 mpg got the full 4500 and from a buddy of mine that did the financing push at the local kia dealership, yes it was a scam, they expect a whole lot of defaults on the loans, but the dealers don't care, government paid them, banks can worry about the loans and repoing.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by xjrev10
they got 4500 dollars for the Cash for Clunkers right? Who in there right mind would bring in a 2005 Dodge one ton???? That truck is worth alot more than that with tons of miles on it!!! Stupid ****!!!!
From my understanding and the reading, is that the only vehicle they gave 3500-4500 + whatever scrap would be that C4C was offering was on vehicles that were worth that or less. Any vehicles that were worth more got whatever KBB/dealer decided to give. What msot do not know is that they probably got charged tax double time, because you pay tax on the total amount of the vehicle cost + probably taxed for the "incentive" at tax time.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Metmknice
From my understanding and the reading, is that the only vehicle they gave 3500-4500 + whatever scrap would be that C4C was offering was on vehicles that were worth that or less. Any vehicles that were worth more got whatever KBB/dealer decided to give. What msot do not know is that they probably got charged tax double time, because you pay tax on the total amount of the vehicle cost + probably taxed for the "incentive" at tax time.
good!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by chip
Cash for clunkers = a goldmine at junkyards. On a recent trip to Pick a Part in Hesperia I was amazed on what I had discovered. Usually there has always been a handful of Cherokees at any given time (4 to 6). On Sunday there were at least 20 Cherokees of all years in just about every configuration. There was 1 Cherokee in particular that was just sickening. It was a 96-newer that was in mint condition extremely clean and straight. Made me wonder why in the hell would somebody trade that in? Pick a Part no longer sells complete bodies (part of the clunker deal). Another disturbing part of the clunker deal is that the wrecking yards are required to ruin the motors. They drain the fluids, fill the motor with a chemical and run them till they are destroyed. All the cars have written on them "bad motor". They no longer sell complete motors either. That 1 jeep's motor looked brand new too. Besides that, there was just about every part that one might need in abundance. There are also lots of newer Ford, Chevy and Dodge vehicles there. A few months ago I was looking for parts for my Expedition when they were almost non-existence at a Pick a Part, now they are a dime a dozen there too. Happy searching.

Really cuz i buy motors from pick ur parts all the time and none of them have bad motor wrote on them or are bad at all so maybe its just the junk yard ur going to and i just picked up a motor over the weekend 12-24-2011
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by scifi266

Bull**** the only reason they did that was so obama wouldnt have to update the smogs regulations to the 80's u guys should really do some homework before posting something stupid LMAO