Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Worst day ever... MUD FLAPS???

Mr. Wa State Patrol pulled me over today to give me a warning... I need mud flaps???? Kiss my @$$, im only running 3 inches on 31's. My tires do stick out about an inch though. He mentioned something about my axle and size blah blah, but I didnt want to make him mad by telling him to talk louder. I mean c'mon its only I-5 with a bunch of cars driving by on a wet road, making everything louder. Worst part is I've got a 4.5 RC lift coming in next week, which means mud flaps is a a must? what the heck is the law around here???????
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Wow, your set up sounds the same as mine, im glad i havent got pulled over yet, I live over in Walla Walla Wa, and 1 block from our State Patrol Office, and nothing, did they happen to mention what the fine was without the warning?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

He didn't tell me at all. He pulled me over to tell me to "slow down" and added in those little tid-bits. Imagine what it would have been if I WAS speeding...
Anyone know the laws for this stuff? If I get ANY more tickets, i cant join the army...

Last edited by assetts91; 03-30-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Prevent double post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

that trooper must been having a bad day . Or a damn rookie lol
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

i dunno about washington but down here in oregon there are plenty of rig with tires sticking way out and i dont see them gettin puled over so im guesing it was jst that cop being a D-bag
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

You must have been speeding some, try avoiding the extra attention like speeding and all that other crap. I dread being pulled over because Im sure they will wanna give me a hard time.

Google some of the laws, Mud flaps, fender flares etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

in washington you are required to have mudflaps if your bumper does not cover at least half the tire in the rear. usually they will not mess with you if you have flares that cover your tire. i have bushwackers on my jeep with 35" tires and a 7 inch long arm kit on it. i have been pulled over for "speeding" (yea right) and he didnt say anything about mudflaps to me cause my tires dont stick out past my flares. so just get some bigger flares and you should be fine.

there is a law in Washington about the mud flaps to, if your tires sticks out more then an inch from your original style fender flares, you can get a ticket.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
in washington you are required to have mudflaps if your bumper does not cover at least half the tire in the rear. usually they will not mess with you if you have flares that cover your tire. i have bushwackers on my jeep with 35" tires and a 7 inch long arm kit on it. i have been pulled over for "speeding" (yea right) and he didnt say anything about mudflaps to me cause my tires dont stick out past my flares. so just get some bigger flares and you should be fine.

there is a law in Washington about the mud flaps to, if your tires sticks out more then an inch from your original style fender flares, you can get a ticket.
Looks like I'm getting Fender Flares next than. Gotta do anything I can to prevent being noticed by WSP. Fender Flares are expensive... Such an expensive but fun hobby! Hard to find the space to do all these mods too, jeez!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

First off, you got lucky. Getting off with a warning is nice not a dbag move. And hes only doing his job and looking out for you. Cause down the road if you dont get it fixed or didnt know (because the cop didnt tell you) the real dbag cop could pull you over and ticket you for everything. Just sayin. And really how hard is it to put mud flaps on? A piece of rubber self tapped into the wheel well. Sure it wont look as good but it will keep you legal.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by azxj99
First off, you got lucky. Getting off with a warning is nice not a dbag move. And hes only doing his job and looking out for you. Cause down the road if you dont get it fixed or didnt know (because the cop didnt tell you) the real dbag cop could pull you over and ticket you for everything. Just sayin. And really how hard is it to put mud flaps on? A piece of rubber self tapped into the wheel well. Sure it wont look as good but it will keep you legal.
Totally agreed, the more I think about it. Cop is just earning his money. Sadly I walked into all this un-aware of my state laws.. Big mistake but got off easy, not easy being 19
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Check out on here there is a guy that made them from supplies from home depot out of like that garden edging black plastic ,looks pretty good and real cheap
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by highwater
Check out on here there is a guy that made them from supplies from home depot out of like that garden edging black plastic ,looks pretty good and real cheap
Your thinking flares. He needs mud flaps
Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah ,but he said up there couple up he was going to get flares and they wasn't cheap but your right mud flaps is what he needs
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Looks like your flares need to cover your entire tire and mud flaps must extend to the center line of the axle.
Found here... http://www.liftlaws.com/washington_lift_laws.htm
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 89

Very true he could have been a lot wores on you about it all but none the less I think you might have found a trooper that was board. For the most part they really don't pay much mind to that kind of law here in Oregon or in Wash but I would have to say though your speeding most likely didn't help none lol.

Quick Reply: Worst day ever... MUD FLAPS???