Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

New local member!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New local member!!

I haven't picked up a Cherokee yet but I am in the market for one and wanted to get some knowledge from here to know what to look for and make sure I get a good deal and don't get screwed.

If anyone knows of any good deals please let me know. It would probably have to be at a dealer since I need to make payments on it! Thanks!!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where you from? If you have the time off you should come to our weekend trip to evans creek out by buckley, wa. Get to know the locals
Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 PM

I live in Federal Way. My job right now I have to work weekends my days off are Thursdays and Fridays :/ I hate it haha. I've been looking forever for a weekend off job that I can afford to have lol.

This is what I am going to look at...does this look like a decent deal?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ctd/1978707765.html
Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Spectral
I live in Federal Way. My job right now I have to work weekends my days off are Thursdays and Fridays :/ I hate it haha. I've been looking forever for a weekend off job that I can afford to have lol.

This is what I am going to look at...does this look like a decent deal?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ctd/1978707765.html
I wouldnt pay that for a 90 Cherokee. I mean it looks clean and is nice but for that old of a jeep with 177k I don't think its worth their asking price. You can find cherokees in better shape than that for less than $1500 by private sale. I know you said you'll prolly have to go with a dealer b/c you need financing...have you thought about a used car loan, or even better, if your a student you can use student loans to buy a car which usually have lower interest rates than auto loans
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by cascadeclimbn
I wouldnt pay that for a 90 Cherokee. I mean it looks clean and is nice but for that old of a jeep with 177k I don't think its worth their asking price. You can find cherokees in better shape than that for less than $1500 by private sale. I know you said you'll prolly have to go with a dealer b/c you need financing...have you thought about a used car loan, or even better, if your a student you can use student loans to buy a car which usually have lower interest rates than auto loans
Thing is my credit sucks lol. BUT that student loan thing I didn't even think about. That's a very good idea and I'll have to look into that because that opens up private sales for me.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Thing is my credit sucks lol. BUT that student loan thing I didn't even think about. That's a very good idea and I'll have to look into that because that opens up private sales for me.
My credit aintt that great either. When I sold my last truck and started looking for another job, reg. auto loans, and dealer financing didnt seem like the best route so I looked into taking out student loans and I found that the interest rate was much lower. I ended up finding an awesome deal on a private sell and was able to pay cash but had I not paid cash I wouldve prolly gone with the student loan.

BTW, welcome to the forum and to Jeeps!! Im pretty new on here too and to xj's...when you do buy a Jeep, if your in the Puyallup area, I'm down to go wheeling...always looking for new people to off-road with.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by cascadeclimbn
My credit aintt that great either. When I sold my last truck and started looking for another job, reg. auto loans, and dealer financing didnt seem like the best route so I looked into taking out student loans and I found that the interest rate was much lower. I ended up finding an awesome deal on a private sell and was able to pay cash but had I not paid cash I wouldve prolly gone with the student loan.

BTW, welcome to the forum and to Jeeps!! Im pretty new on here too and to xj's...when you do buy a Jeep, if your in the Puyallup area, I'm down to go wheeling...always looking for new people to off-road with.
Yeah my GF's parents live in Fredrickson and Puyallup is not far at all and I would definitely be up for so off-roading. It's been forever since I've gone. Last 4x4 was a Bronco when i was 16-17 lol.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

I am going to be selling my jeep if your interested. I do not know how mechanically inclined you are thought. Nothing wrong with it runs great, drives great, just re geared it. I just have lots of spare parts I would like to give to the potential buyer that way I do not have to try and sell all the stuff lol.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 206junglist
I am going to be selling my jeep if your interested. I do not know how mechanically inclined you are thought. Nothing wrong with it runs great, drives great, just re geared it. I just have lots of spare parts I would like to give to the potential buyer that way I do not have to try and sell all the stuff lol.
I've never worked on an SUV or Jeep or anything lifted but I have worked on cars a ton. I'm kinda getting out of the car scene and getting into a different auto scene.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ya I mean honestly I would love to keep my jeep but I am trying to move to New Mexico. I have 3 cars 1 boat and a motorcycle so I am trying to sell all my stuff and buy a Diesel 4x4 dodge throw all my tools and clothes on my trailer with my motorcycle and hit the road.
My jeep is a 1991 4.0 I6 5speed with 220,000ish.
4 1/2in lift
33in tires (with 3 spares)
chrome rims
4.10 gears
27 spline 8.25 rear (with spare shafts)
dana 30 (with spare shafts)

just removed intake manifold and cleaned it and replaced intake/exhaust gasket
re welded header (cracked)
New exhaust
New valve cover gasket (permagasket)
New Radiator (400 miles ago)
Oil always changed around 2,500
class IV tow package
New yellow top optima battery
A/C condenser removed ready for On Board Air
Just built new spring packs for the rear, flex great good ride.

Comes with Dana 44 rear out of a 88 cherokee with 3.07 gears
also comes with dana 30 4.56 spicer gear set if you ever want to run 37s

needs, rear axle shimmed a couple degrees to fix a drive shaft wobble at around 70mph thats it (20$)

I am sure I am forgetting stuff.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 AM

Yeah my GF's parents live in Fredrickson and Puyallup is not far at all and I would definitely be up for so off-roading. It's been forever since I've gone. Last 4x4 was a Bronco when i was 16-17 lol.

Cool then. Send me a pm and we can swap cell #s. The only vehicle Ive owned that wasnt 4x4 was my 95 subie, but at least it was awd...got me to the mountain and back pretty damn good. My first vehicle was a 95 Chevy 1500 my grandpa gave for Christmas, then I had a 98 4x4 Ford Explorer, then the subie, then an 86 F150 I bought to haul my boat. Just sold the boat though then the truck and bought my xj. I never did any serious off roading until I got the Jeep, these things are badass. You'll love em.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I live in Auburn but am in Puyallup a lot as well. When you get a jeep we'll go wheelin. I have some decently useful parts for sale as well lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM

How are the v6 motors as far as life goes? I have seen some on craigslist for pretty cheap but what is their life span like?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Keaton
I live in Auburn but am in Puyallup a lot as well. When you get a jeep we'll go wheelin. I have some decently useful parts for sale as well lol.
What kind of parts you selling?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM

How are the v6 motors as far as life goes? I have seen some on craigslist for pretty cheap but what is their life span like?
Woah!! You just committed a crime...since your new you get a free pass but don't ever call the 4.0 inline 6 a V6. The xj's are 6 cylinders but V refers to the design of the motor. In a V6 the cylinders rest on both sides of the block at an angle forming th "V" shape. The xj's cylinderds are straight in a lne hence the inline 6 or I6. As far as life span, it depends on care and maintainance. But those 4.0s are pretty bulletproof. I know of guys with over 400k on their jeeps. Mine has 245k and is running strong, no problems whatsoever. Keep up the maintainence on them and they'll run like new forever!

Quick Reply: New local member!!