Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

Got attacked by a Great White this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator
Default Got attacked by a Great White this morning

My buddy and I nicknamed the Washington State Patrol troopers "Great Whites" way back in the 80s when we first started driving...because they drive the all white cruisers and they will pull you over and they will write you a ticket in a heartbeat. Their favorite prey seems to be any teenager, sportbikes, lowered cars and, you guessed it, raised trucks and SUVs. So, I got the good ole warning for not having mudflaps. Their two fivorites for lifted 4x4s in this area are no mudflaps and tires outside of the fender flares. It's really funny because growing up in small town Washington, I know of more people who got rocks to the windshield from log trucks and semis than from any lifted 4x4 truck. Oh well, I will rig up some mudflaps with quick discos for easy removal when 4wheeling. I'm not going to be the guy who gives anybody any reason to hassle 4x4 owners thus risking our trails closing or making lifting our trucks and Jeeps illegal.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
My buddy and I nicknamed the Washington State Patrol troopers "Great Whites" way back in the 80s when we first started driving...because they drive the all white cruisers and they will pull you over and they will write you a ticket in a heartbeat. Their favorite prey seems to be any teenager, sportbikes, lowered cars and, you guessed it, raised trucks and SUVs. So, I got the good ole warning for not having mudflaps. Their two fivorites for lifted 4x4s in this area are no mudflaps and tires outside of the fender flares. It's really funny because growing up in small town Washington, I know of more people who got rocks to the windshield from log trucks and semis than from any lifted 4x4 truck. Oh well, I will rig up some mudflaps with quick discos for easy removal when 4wheeling. I'm not going to be the guy who gives anybody any reason to hassle 4x4 owners thus risking our trails closing or making lifting our trucks and Jeeps illegal.
That's poopy. Darn cops should be pulling over 70 year olds and tazering them, not harassing the big rigs.

I saw this idea on another forum for a wrangler but it's cool. This guy had a HUGE bolt and nut that I think was 9/16 x 12" (he may have welded an extension in the middle to make it longer) or something like that. He welded the nut to the frame behind the tire and then fabbed up a rubber flap with loops on top for the bolt to go through (loosely). Whenever he needed the flaps, he would just take the big bolt and screw it tight onto the nut that's welded on the frame. Then there it was, a mud flap. it's the same concept as a small american flag and the post to hold it up on your porch. It was a cool and simple idea that worked well.

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-12-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Thanks for the gouge Mudd. That is a great idea for a mudflap on the cheap. I can definitely work with that.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

its been my experience that you get pulled over if you even look like trouble. i get pulled over just for the stickers i have on my trucks!