Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

2nd Monthly Meet-N-Greet (Elbe Hills)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator
Default 2nd Monthly Meet-N-Greet (Elbe Hills)

I'd like to make a recommendation for the 2nd CherokeeForum Monthly Meet-N-Greet. Meet-N-Greet, 0900, Saturday, 8 October 2011 @ Elbe Hills OHV Campground Parking Lot. We meet in the parking lot to air down, lock in, have the Meet-N-Greet AND to do the group picture this time at 0900. We can go from there to figure out who wants to run what trail, select a trail leader for each trail and then break up into individual groups. I am going to run the Busy Wild for my first trail, this time. So, post up if you are in for an Elbe run and Meet-N-Greet on that weekend. I will be there reguardless even if nobody else shows up. It's time for me to get up close and personal with the infamous Busy and run it dry before I think about attempting it while wet in the winter.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Here is a map of the Elbe Hills OHV are trails if I can get it to download.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

I guess it isn't gonna work for me. One of you younger and more computer genius guys will need to do this....LOL.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Here you go buck, here is the link:

http://www.dogpoundoffroad.org/Maps/Elbe_ORV_Map.png

and if that doesnt work here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Monthly Meet-N-Greet (Elbe Hills)-elbe_orv_map.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

As you can see from the map there are 8 different trails to choose from. Each of them is several miles long. Last time I went to Elbe it took me all day long to run all of the trails except the Busy Wild. Every trail is challenging, too. So, don't expect all of the others besides the Busy to be yawners. The hillclimb on the Rainier Vista hurt my front diff. bad enough last time that I ended up having to replace my entire front ring and pinion a couple of weeks later. I also broke the upper adjustable end on my Trac Bar while there that time, so this place will challenge both you and your Jeep. I don't remember hearing anybody gripe about the trails being too easy. So, some of you guys with open diffs and smaller lifts and tires will consider the other trails a good enough challenge. Don't think you are going to be able to dive right into the Busy Wild with a 3 inch lift, 31 inch tires and open diffs. I've never been on the that trail myself but, from what I've been told, even dry, it is a very hard trail. The trails at Elbe are also unique in that each trail begins and ends on the main access road. At any given time if you realize it's time to go home at the end of the trail you are on, just turn left and head out. Also you can drive up the road from the main entrance and start at the beginning of whatever trail you want. It's a pretty easy place to get to. Just do a Google Map search from where you live to the town of Elbe, Wa. The Elbe Hills OHV area is just a couple miles outside of town. If you find yourself driving by an old train that has been made into a motel, Called the Hobo Inn, you are in the town of Elbe and can follow the signs from town to the 4x4 area.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Here you guys go, here is a description of each trail and what they offer.
  • The Busywild Trail is the most well known trail. Named after the Busy Wild Creek that runs through part of it, this trail lives up to its name also. People say it’s the most difficult trail in the area, and it’s mostly true. From where it starts off of Mainline it rolls through a clear cut area, mostly just avoiding or driving on stumps, but with some little challenges here and there if you look for them. If you don't pay attention you might miss the left turn into the trees to take you up the trail, if you find yourself at a service road(92Road), turn around and take the first right. Some people just skip the lower section through the clear cut and come in from 92 Road anyway. The section of Busy Wild from where it first cuts into the trees until you get down past the bridge is the part of the trail where many stories are made. Lots of mud and water, lots of deep ruts that make you wish you had bigger tires. Not many bypasses because it doesn't take long for a bypass to get just as bad and the trail in spots, and some bypasses just dump into another hole. Lockers, winches, and big tires are needed when it’s wet and tore up down there. Coming up from the bridge can be difficult, it’s a tight area not real friendly to a longer wheelbase rig. Once you get to where the end of the service road is, the real difficult part is done, and the rest of the Busy Wild becomes a little more like the rest of the area, but still a little more difficult. Eventually it crosses the service road again, and then dumps onto 931 Road. In the summer this trail is passable by most 4x4 vehicles with 33" tires or larger, but the trail favors narrow, short-wheel base vehicles. Expect some body damage if you have a larger vehicle or don't have some body armor. In the winter the trail is run downhill only to reduce resource damage. With LOTS of mud in the winter tires of 35" or larger with aggressive off road tires are recommended with at least one locker and a winch. Body and mechanical damage is much more likely in the winter and full size vehicles are not recommended. This is a long and challenging trail with very few exits. Expect to spend up to a full day on this trail and during the winter, be sure to carry cold weather emergency gear.
  • The Sunrise Trail was recently adopted by the Timber Tamers 4x4 club. This has traditionally been a very easy trail that can be negotiated by a stock 4x4. Currently the trail is being revitalized with technical obstacles to make it more difficult. As this trail progresses, expect to seem more rock crawl sections that require large tires and lockers. Contact Karl if you have any comments or suggestions for this trail.
  • The Mainline Trail is a short section of trail that is negotiable by most 4x4 vehicles. Mainline is about the same difficulty running in either direction and crosses a bunch of roads and trails. Starting from the south end on 9 Road, it goes up through a clear cut on rocky ground, passes the north end of Sunrise, then jumps into the trees where its wet, watery and muddy. You can't get stuck in there though because the trail bed is hard and lined with logs to stem erosion. After a couple of bridges you come to another clear cut and a series of intersections. The first intersection is a right turn going up the hill, and is the mapped beginning of the Busy Wild. The next intersection is a "T" . Going left is the trail, going right takes you to the south end of the 931 Road. After you make the left the trail starts to look more like what Elbe is known for. When its wet there is some mud, and its always a little bit of a squeeze, and the bypasses are sometimes just as bad as the trail was. This is the point on the trail where you actually have to start paying attention and picking your lines to either make it a little harder or a little easier. The next road you cross is 931 Road, and it continues on about the same. At the end of this leg of the trail you will come across a right turn, but you can't go that way because that's the Busy Wild exit (one way). Just past that you come out onto the north end of 931 Road and cross it again. Shortly down that it intersects with Alder Loop and if you stay left it goes straight down to 9 Road. For the most part this trail is doable by all 4wd vehicles in the summer. Rocker panel protection may be useful. In the winter, the muddier spot will require aggressive offroad tires with a locker and winch recommended.
  • The Alder Loop Trail starts on the south end and goes up from 9 Road then goes up a rocky section to a nice mud hole and an intersection, stay to the right and it goes up a small v-cut, then go left to stay on the trail and it winds around and ties into Mainline extension. Go left to head back down to 9 Road. This trail can be negotiated by most 4x4 vehicles year round.
  • The Mainline Extension Trail starts on the south end from 9 Road it looks like a paved road, but its gets a little better as you go along. At the intersection with Alder Loop stay left. This trail is just a fairly easy and fun ride. Got to watch the tires a little in places, and with good rain and lots of use there can be some muddy spots. Eventually it links back up with 9 Road where Gotcha starts. This trail can be negotiated by most 4x4 vehicles year round.
  • The Swamp Trail
  • The Gotcha Trail is one of the longer ones, and crosses more types of areas like Mainline does. There are some tight squeezes between trees and some stump mazes, a long bridge in a low spot, and a great view of Mt Rainier from a clear cut on a ridge. Long wheel base and full size vehicles can expect some body damage on sections of this trail and aggressive off road tires a winch and locker are highly recommended for the wet season.
  • The Rainier Vista Trail lives up to its name. Its southern tip intersects with Gotcha and 9 Road, but this one doesn't have as many challenges as most of the other trails. It winds around for long enough to make you wonder where the mountain is, and then you come to a section that goes up hill with a bunch of loose rock on the trail. At the top don't forget to turn around and look or you will miss the mountain as you drive back into the trees for an easy ride out to 9 Road. This trail can be negotiated by most 4-4 vehicles year round.
this is all taken from this web site:

http://www.pnw4wda.org/trails/washington/elbe_hills.htm

use this for a reference.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 str. 6

Hmm Idk if I can but ill try
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

So can we just call these monthly meet and wheel's. I am down for the busy aw well, I mean whats the worst that could happen.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

Ive never gone but im down for Sunrise to get a feel for my limits (32s,4inch lift)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 PM

Year: 1988-1990

F**k buck I guess Im going to have to find a way to make this one....Im in I hope one way or another.....
Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

I suppose we can call them Meet-N-Wheels instead of Meet-N-Greets. Thats basically what this one will amount to. I BS session in the Parking Lot. Then, hit the trails. I hope all of you guys can make and the all of the rest of the regular crowd plus a lot of new guys.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.6L

I'm in a TJ now, but I could maybe make this. Definitely not ready to tackle Busywild or anything super challenging, but I could hang out with the Sunrise crowd.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:50 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

Well I really hope you guys are doing this as monthly thing. I am still out of town. So its looking like for me anyways that I wont be to Elbe until the rain hits it pretty good. ( Mid to late Oct). Anyways hope you all have a good time and hopefully I will be there the following month.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

well since i bounced out early the last time i was supposed to be wheelin with Buck, then i will wait till the 8th to go with u guys.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryans96XJ
Well I really hope you guys are doing this as monthly thing. I am still out of town. So its looking like for me anyways that I wont be to Elbe until the rain hits it pretty good. ( Mid to late Oct). Anyways hope you all have a good time and hopefully I will be there the following month.
Ryan,

Elbe isn't that far from Vancouver. I hope you can make it. Do you get weekends off?

Quick Reply: 2nd Monthly Meet-N-Greet (Elbe Hills)