Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yoke nut. Chrysler 8.25...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Yoke nut. Chrysler 8.25...

I can't get out a bolt that sheared inside the pinion yoke, when I was removing the axle for my disc brake conversion. It seems now, like I have no choice but to take the yoke out, and either have a professional remove it, or just buy a new yoke. Either way, I need to know what size bolt that is. And how do I keep it from spinning so I can get it loose? It looks like at LEAST a 30mm bolt, which in my mind means it won't come off easily.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You can use a large pipe wrench to keep it from turning.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

I maybe confused. Are you saying that you removed the nut holding the onion and the threaded shaft of the pinion snapped? If the head of a bolt from the straps on the your snapped, then I would imagine that the bolt spinning would be a problem.

If it is the first one, then you'd have to remove the pinion from within the differential. If it is the second, then try to follow this thread. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/need-help-broken-drive-shaft-bolt-how-extract-249747/

Post again to let us know which stratagem that you decided to try and the results. Also, post any additional questions provided that the other thread doesn't resolve this for you.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Sorry. This is what I do at work when I'm trying to explain what I mean to people. I'm clicking on your link now to see what the suggestion there is.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gat
I maybe confused. Are you saying that you removed the nut holding the onion and the threaded shaft of the pinion snapped? If the head of a bolt from the straps on the your snapped, then I would imagine that the bolt spinning would be a problem.

If it is the first one, then you'd have to remove the pinion from within the differential. If it is the second, then try to follow this thread. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/nee...xtract-249747/

Post again to let us know which stratagem that you decided to try and the results. Also, post any additional questions provided that the other thread doesn't resolve this for you.
, that's my thread too. Kinda forgot it was there. I've been trying those suggestions. The bolt is currently drilled another 3 mm in. Don't know the exact size of the drilled hole, but it's about 3/4 the diameter of the bolt. That's why I wanted to just remove the yoke. A used one in good condition is only about $30 on ebay.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000

1 1/4"

Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Although IIWM I'd use a pipe wrench and a BF pipe instead of a come-along.

Do you have good quality drills?

Last edited by Dave51; 02-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dave51
Although IIWM I'd use a pipe wrench and a BF pipe instead of a come-along.

Do you have good quality drills?
Only drill I have is my craftsman cordless. I know it wasn't made for this. I have a cheap set of left handed bits.

Also, my axle isn't in the truck. It's taken out, so I can do my disc brake conversion.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

OK you need some good titanium bits. Cheap bits are made for wood and thin aluminum and that's about it.

AND NOT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by double_0_7
Only drill I have is my craftsman cordless. I know it wasn't made for this. I have a cheap set of left handed bits.

Also, my axle isn't in the truck. It's taken out, so I can do my disc brake conversion.

A simple corded drill will give you a ton more power than a cordless -- however, in your case the craftsman cordless is more than sufficient.

Like Dave suggested, you need some good sharp bits. Metal drilling is best done at slower speeds. Put the cordless drill on the charger and go to your local hardware store. You want the Cobalt bits. They will say right on the package they are for drilling hard metal.

You'll be amazed at the difference when you put a fresh drill bit on it.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM
gat

"I was removing the axle"
That made me think that the axle was still connected to the vehicle since you had a problem. I figured that you hadn't completed the removal. If it was still attached, then it would not spin because turning the yoke would move the wheels in turn, but there would still be some slop while the drill whirls.

How much is a new yoke? How much is a quote from machine shop to remove and re-tap?

Depending on how your vise is mounted you might be able to throw the whole thing across the table and hold the yoke in a vice.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
A simple corded drill will give you a ton more power than a cordless -- however, in your case the craftsman cordless is more than sufficient.

Like Dave suggested, you need some good sharp bits. Metal drilling is best done at slower speeds. Put the cordless drill on the charger and go to your local hardware store. You want the Cobalt bits. They will say right on the package they are for drilling hard metal.

You'll be amazed at the difference when you put a fresh drill bit on it.
Thanks for the suggestion. In both threads.

Originally Posted by gat
"I was removing the axle"
That made me think that the axle was still connected to the vehicle since you had a problem. I figured that you hadn't completed the removal. If it was still attached, then it would not spin because turning the yoke would move the wheels in turn, but there would still be some slop while the drill whirls.

How much is a new yoke? How much is a quote from machine shop to remove and re-tap?

Depending on how your vise is mounted you might be able to throw the whole thing across the table and hold the yoke in a vice.
The used yoke I see on Ebay is only $25-30...

The axle was still in the vehicle when it snapped. Then after trying to remove the bolt under the vehicle, I just kept working on getting the axle out. Now it's out.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

Maybe you had another reason, but there is no need to remove the axle to do a disc brake conversion, just throwing that out there.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Maybe you had another reason, but there is no need to remove the axle to do a disc brake conversion, just throwing that out there.
I'm lowering the truck. I need to go leaf-under-axle, So I'm going to have to cut off and relocate the spring perches and shock mounts. I'm doing both the rear lowering and disc brake conversion at the same time.

Will a dremel have anything better than my drill does?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM
gat

Originally Posted by double_0_7
I'm lowering the truck. I need to go leaf-under-axle, So I'm going to have to cut off and relocate the spring perches and shock mounts. I'm doing both the rear lowering and disc brake conversion at the same time.

Will a dremel have anything better than my drill does?
The Dremel will allow more control to make a slot that you can try to make for a slotted screw driver.

Quick Reply: Yoke nut. Chrysler 8.25...