Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

yj clutch master in xj, been done?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default yj clutch master in xj, been done?

from 87-90 yjs had a clutch master with a threaded hole instead of the push pin style xjs come with, has anyone run one of these on a xj?

i dont want to run an- fittings or that plastic factory line.

thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

dont see why it cant be done issue would be getting a threaded slave cyl ...no...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it dosent answer your question but i used a factory xj master cylinder and a yj braided stainless hose from advanced adaptors. The line and 2 fittings where about $100 and it works great.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by droopy
I know it dosent answer your question but i used a factory xj master cylinder and a yj braided stainless hose from advanced adaptors. The line and 2 fittings where about $100 and it works great.
^^same here except i just measured what i needed, bought some Earls stainless braided and adapted to -an fittings. works great.

not sure what op means by push pin...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by hankthetank
^^same here except i just measured what i needed, bought some Earls stainless braided and adapted to -an fittings. works great.

not sure what op means by push pin...
newer clutch master/slaves are connected by plastic line with o rings a pin holds fitting on master/slave...
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 PM

im asking this because i'd rather use off the shelf parts i can get fairly easy and cheap vs. parts i'd have to order online.

i live in a small town in ont canada, we have a canadian tire and a napa and a junk yard and a walmart...thats pretty much the entire town.
i hate waiting 1-3 weeks for parts ordered online and their 3 times the price by the time they get here, and if i miss the ups or fed ex truck i have to drive 40 mins to the post office to pic up my stuff... kinda makes me want to move to the states...

anyways. i've ordered a dorman clutch master for the 87-90 YJ cost me 60 bucks. its life time warrenty and takes a day or two to get. the factory clutch line is 160 and its backordered so i think this is going to be the way to go.

as for the slave line... got something up my sleeve for that.

i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
newer clutch master/slaves are connected by plastic line with o rings a pin holds fitting on master/slave...
oh, huh. i replaced mine with a rhinopac from rockauto last year and it has a female flare connector with the metal body and plastic resevoir with a spiral wound spring clamp. learn something every day i guess. thanks for the pic man.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mynameismud
im asking this because i'd rather use off the shelf parts i can get fairly easy and cheap vs. parts i'd have to order online.

i live in a small town in ont canada, we have a canadian tire and a napa and a junk yard and a walmart...thats pretty much the entire town.
i hate waiting 1-3 weeks for parts ordered online and their 3 times the price by the time they get here, and if i miss the ups or fed ex truck i have to drive 40 mins to the post office to pic up my stuff... kinda makes me want to move to the states...

anyways. i've ordered a dorman clutch master for the 87-90 YJ cost me 60 bucks. its life time warrenty and takes a day or two to get. the factory clutch line is 160 and its backordered so i think this is going to be the way to go.

as for the slave line... got something up my sleeve for that.

i'll keep you guys posted.
i live in alberta, and i order parts from the states all the time...rockauto rules! i ordered all my clutch stuff from there. ya i had to wait but, i'll wait and save $$$ anyday. i even order junk off of ebay...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 PM

i use rockauto all the time for part numbers and pics, but didnt know anyone in canada that had ordered from them but i will try it, thanks man!

herd you guys got some snow already over there?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

calgary got hit pretty hard for this time of year...but not us yet. snow IS in the forecast for tommorow though..............................SNOW WHEELIN AND SLEDDING!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM

I dont see why it wouldnt work, i thought about doing it for mine but i was worried about using a soild line becuase of engine and trans movement.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM

"I dont see why it wouldnt work, i thought about doing it for mine but i was worried about using a soild line becuase of engine and trans movement. "

like i've said, i have something up my sleeve, stay tuned lol

calgary got hit pretty hard for this time of year...but not us yet. snow IS in the forecast for tommorow though..............................SNOW WHEELIN AND SLEDDING!! Today 06:06 PM

"calgary got hit pretty hard for this time of year...but not us yet. snow IS in the forecast for tommorow though..............................SNOW WHEELIN AND SLEDDING!! "

thats why im trying to get this trans in asap, i didnt get to wheel at all in the snow last year. i dont have a sled but we have atvs. hope we get HAMMERED with snow this year, didnt get much last.