Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ, Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ, Where to start

Or how to diagnose I suppose. I've got a '98 XJ Sport 142k miles, that I picked up non running a couple months ago. PO said the engine is seized (which I doubt but was open minded enough to believe there may be something wrong with).
Due to wx up here I haven't been able to play with her as much as I would like.
What I have been able to do so far is determine the battery was weak, swapped out with my TJ battery. Removed an alarm system, subwoofer and Sirius so we're back to stock, besides the radio. After I did this I'm getting a 'clunk' from the starter location when we turn the key, tried tapping while my son turned the key to no avail.
I found that the oil pressure sending unit was snapped off (of course) and have the part, just haven't installed it yet.
One other thing that I just realized is both keys are "spares" and am pretty sure there needs to be 'coded' keys for this year. The ignition shows evidence of tampering at some point (could've been the reason for the alarm).
I've plugged her in to an OBD II and showed no codes. All the computer/electrical possiblities are throwing for a loop and I'm not sure where to go from here.
I plan on making this the rig to take to Prudhoe Bay sometime in the next year and then maybe giving her to my daughter for her first vehicle so any help is appreciated.
Sorry for the long post, I've searched and found many possiblities, I'm just wondering if any of you have had similar probs or know of the next step.

Thanks all
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

lift her up on jack stands. put her in neutral and try turning the engine over by hand. the clunk maybe because the engine really is seized because he didn't know the pressure because of the sending unit
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Yup, get her airborne and grab the big ratchet and socket and see if she will spin. You could pull the plugs to make it a bit easier.
As for the keys, you should be able to start it with the valet keys, if equipped. I know I just got one set from the dealer when I bought my '98, but the sheer nature of the valet key is to be able to start it and not access the glove box and other "private" areas of the car.
But as I said, I never got aynthing like that when I bought mine...
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

if your gonna pull the plugs, spray a little penetrating oil in the holes ta help you out with the turning. im sure this thing will be running in no time
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Cool, thanks guys. When I bought her I wasn't too worried about getting her running, I was going to take my time. But the more time goes by, the more I need to get her on the road.
I'll dig her out this week and go play some more. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by statler392
Cool, thanks guys. When I bought her I wasn't too worried about getting her running, I was going to take my time. But the more time goes by, the more I need to get her on the road.
I'll dig her out this week and go play some more. I'll let you know what happens.
give us a list of whats wrong with her and we can probably get you headed down the quickest path to roadism... like that word?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Oh great...here we go...
Anthony's thinking he's a prophet again....

"Quick path to roadism headed he is..."
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
Oh great...here we go...
Anthony's thinking he's a prophet again....

"Quick path to roadism headed he is..."
lol, yeah thats a sigline qoute
Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM

That is a great term...I'm digging the confidence too. Thanks guys, I'm going to get outside and shovel her out right now.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by statler392
That is a great term...I'm digging the confidence too. Thanks guys, I'm going to get outside and shovel her out right now.
lol, works every time
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

1.) I'd start by pulling the plugs and seeing if the motor will turn by hand. I agree with a little penetrating oil in the sparkplug holes. Diesel works good for this, too. If it won't turn, I'd say you're done at his point. If it does turn, great, then move on to the starter issue.

2.) If you're hearing something down at the starter "the clunk", I'd say your ignition key is doing it's job and your starter is trying to do it's job. Once the motor is turning free, give the ignition key and starter another try. As long as the starter is tight, the wires are properly connected and it's getting power, it will work. If it doesn't you have a battery, cables or starter issue. Autozone will test your starter and battery for free. Since it is an unknown jeep to you, it would be good to get the alternator tested as well.

3.) Once you have the motor spinning with the starter. It's time to check for good spark at your plugs and good fuel pressure at your fuel rail. Proper fuel pressure is 31 PSI at the test port on your fuel rail. Also ensure you have to fuel leaking out around your injectors at the O rings.

This is a good start. If you have a free spinning motor, a good starter, spark at the plugs and fuel pressure at the rail, she should be ready to start and run for you.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

x2, what buck said
Old 01-04-2009, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

pretty sure no sentry key in 98. chrysler didn't start with those till 99.

i bought an xj once that was real low on compression, poured engine oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a couple days and it fired right up. smoked a hell of a lot, for a bit, but worked. should work for you. just use the ratchet method and not the starter motor until it's unseized.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM

I shoveled her out and cleaned up off the roof the other day, figured I'd wait till I can use my buddys tent to keep the rain out of the engine bay while I worked.
Well, we got dumped on with snow while I had duty the other night so I'm back to square one tomorrow. Hopefully between kids, snow and cold (10F right now, supposed to warm up towards the end of the week) I'll be able to check this out soon.
Thanks again for the help guys
Old 01-07-2009, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

keep us in the loop and we'll all do what we can, theres a vast knowledge on here so use it wisely and you'll have her running soon...
oh but watch out for that bowtie guy

Quick Reply: XJ, Where to start