Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ transmission problems

Hey guys, im pretty new to this forum, but im going to reach out for some extra help here. All input would be appreciated.

Ive got a 1996 jeep cherokee with a 115,XXX miles on it and I believe I am in the starting zone of a serious transmisson problem, which would basically lead to me selling it.

Anyways, when I first start driving it whether its in the morning or after its been sitting for a few ours I notice that it struggles to shift into 3rd gear. It starts to rev up like its in neutral or something, then I back off on the gas and then it shifts fine, basically I have to play around with the gas to get it too shift. After it "Warms up", or after driving it for more then 3 min, it goes away and shifts fine.

I have no idea wtf the problem is or were to begin. I have no idea when the tranny fluid was last changed and filter. which is were I want to begin.
My hanyes manuel is telling me to just take off the pan on the transmission and take out the filter and put a new one in and bolt it back on. seems simple right? well I read that you could seriously **** up your transmission doing this and could use some input on this and my problem

Its got the 4.0 Liter 6 cyl H.0 with I believe the AW4 4 speed over drive
Thanks.

Last edited by Maltesian; 09-15-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Actually it is that simple. Your tranny is having a problem already. Cleaning it out and using the CORRECT type atf, should not enhance the problem, but may not correct it. See what happens after....let us know...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM

yea, its about the only thing i can do before i have to take it too someone. ill pick up some the stuff tommorow and get right on it. Any tips or anything too look out for, ive never done this but will trust my handy haynes manuel.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I may get some grief, but don't change the "filter". Simply drain the pan and refill with 4-5 quarts of Dexron III/Mercon. Run it for a while and see if it helps. You will have changed about 1/2 of the fluid and effectively diluted what was in there. If it looks dark and smells burned, do the drain/refill a couple of times so that the fluid in the trans looks pink and smells like it should.

It may be that something is just sticking until the trans warms up a bit. Looking at the manual it appears that S1 needs to be turned off to shift to 3rd, so you may be looking at a shift solenoid replacement which isn't a big deal, but maybe not. Your problem might go away after changing the fluid.

Adjust the kickdown cable attached to the end of the throttle body shaft.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM

Default Reverse works when transmission is warm

So I have an issue similar. My reverse will work only after the Jeep is up to temp. Well today I figured I would try to fix it. First I cleaned the two connectors near the trans dipstick. Second I reset the tv cable/ throttle cable but did not press the gas pedal down. Put the Jeep in neutral, started it and put into reverse and it worked. Before reverse acted like neutral. You could feel it go in. Drove it around the block and tried it again and didn’t work. Repeated the same process and it worked. Maybe I need a new tv cable? No grinding or odd noises. Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-05-2023, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L