Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ steering tightness question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ steering tightness question

Hi

I recently put in a steering gear box( all new front end suspension parts before that). It had been about a year since i drove the car and i drive a honda civic otherwise that has tight steering.
the jeep currently is like steering a cloud, like i could drive it with my pinky, although it does feel responsive. Odd thing to complain about but my fear is the worm nut isnt tight enough. I've also heard your not supposed to turn those because it voids warranty. Otherwise I've finally got her back on the road no DW.

My question is how the steering should normally feel? maybe im just paranoid or used to driving other cars.

99 Cherokee classic
Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Just the difference between a steering gear and rack and pinion set up, you probably don't have an issue If you aren't "feeling" any dead spots. It always takes me a bit to get used to the jeep after not driving it for a while because as you said, it's VERY easy to turn
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by dcollins3208
Just the difference between a steering gear and rack and pinion set up, you probably don't have an issue If you aren't "feeling" any dead spots. It always takes me a bit to get used to the jeep after not driving it for a while because as you said, it's VERY easy to turn
you think so? mine feels heavy tbh compared to alot of other cars i drive
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Year: 1997

Mine is at least. I rebuilt the entire front end/steering about two weeks ago. New gear box, ps pump, ball joints, all new TREs, upgraded steering gear spacer, etc and it's still easy to turn. I don't think that's negative by any means. Old box had a dead spot from about 10-2 and it also wandered (probably misaligned and the TREs were shot). It now tracks straight and has no dead spot. It feels "tighter" but not "stiffer" if that makes sense
Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

basically more feel minus the wander and feels more direct
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

My jeeps have a medium steering feel, Compared to an 87 thunderbird I drove, you could steer in with 1 finger !
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 PM

Year: 1994

Mine steers easily enough, but I replaced the gear box, hoping to be able to keep it on the road ! Not a good idea ! I've been adjusting the gear box to try & make it more driveable. The service manual shows how to adjust it by the way, but they show it as being adjusted on the bench !! I would like get it tightened up. The nut & screw on the top of the box needs to be adjusted so that the steering isn't hard to turn. Too tight on that screw will make the wheel stiffer & harder to turn.. The other adjustment is the big nut on the end where the steering shaft is located....there is a lock/jam nut there to hold the adjustment once it's set.... a little at a time seems to be the way to do it....
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
My jeeps have a medium steering feel, Compared to an 87 thunderbird I drove, you could steer in with 1 finger !

^ I would say "medium" as well. Most FWD econoboxes like the OP's Civic have a stiffer feel than my XJ. I had an '83 Turbo Coupe that was light like that too. Too light for a "sporty" car. Come to think of it, the XJ has stiffer steering than all of the F150's and Broncos I've driven from the same era ('80 to '96) as well.

Last edited by Tbone289; 03-09-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Thank you all for the input. im not gonna adjust the worm nut, not till i know its a problem. i talked to the previouse owner and he thought it felt normal so i rolling with it.