Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ manual window regulator fix! New parts are available (kinda!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default XJ manual window regulator fix! New parts are available (kinda!)

I recently purchased my first XJ, a 1992 Sport 4-door (although it's probably my 10th Jeep). I got it from the original owner's grandson and it's only got 62,500 original miles. Parked for God-knows how many years, I put in a fresh battery & new fuel pump, it fired right up and it runs great, shifts great, and even the A/C works! However, the two front windows would only roll down so far before it started grinding. You guessed it, rusted out/stripped "fuzzy cables". I was amazed that no one makes new manual regulators! I read several threads about "turning the cable around", but my window brackets seemed to be molded into (onto?) the fuzzy cable. I ordered a new aftermarket power window regulator with the hopes that I could rob the fuzzy cable out of it, but the power window regulator cables are about 6"-8" shorter than the manual regulator cables, so that wasn't gonna work. Through a little bit of research, I ended up coming across a brand new manual regulator for a 1997-2002 Mack CH (dump truck) that is nearly identical in construction to the Jeep regulator, albeit much taller. I ordered it from my local O'Reilly for $80.12, and I saw it online even cheaper than that, which sure beats the $150-$200 for a used regulator on eBay! The Mack unit also uses a fuzzy cable! The cable in the Mack regulator is about 1.5"-2" shorter than the Jeep cable, but it made almost no difference in the end. I threaded the Mack cable into my original regulator. I had to re-use the bracket that attaches to the glass, and I attached the bracket to the new regulator with 1/4" bolts & lock nuts. I had to raise the lower regulator "stop" by around 1/4" to keep it from completely unthreading the cable, but the difference is not noticeable at all and my glass still rolls completely into the door (below the rubbers). The left front window now works flawlessly and I plan on ordering another Mack regulator so I can fix the right front window regulator! The Dorman part number for the Mack regulator is 740-5507 (left) and 740-5508 (right), but since you're only using the fuzzy cable, it really doesn't matter which part number you order! I hope to take photos and do a step-by-step when I get around to replacing the fuzzy cable in the right front door. The actual "winder" mechanism is almost exactly the same as well, however the Jeep handle will not fit it (although you could probably swap the handle for a Ford window crank and make the winder mechanism work if you needed to...)
The following 2 users liked this post by ProAutoValdosta:
Batman33165 (08-04-2022), Jim Malcolm (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 10:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the write up. As the owner of two XJ with manual windows; I saved this thread for the day when unfortunately have to work on one of mine.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs up maunal window fix

I need to fix my right front window regulator, just need some pictures to help me along the way. Just waiting for a little warmer weather before I start working on it.
The following users liked this post:
Batman33165 (08-04-2022)