Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 xj manual window lift replacement/repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 89 xj manual window lift replacement/repair

Hey guys so my xj is a 4d has manual windows and locks. I do not want power windows i was just hoping someone who knew more could help me find replacement window lifts or telll me how to repair the ones i have. WHen the window is rolled completely down it will not come back up it makes a clicking sound and i have to disassemble to door and push up while using the crank. Driver side has begun to do it too now and its got me concerned.

I have been unable to find replacements.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I had issues with my drivers side. I tore into it and the regulator teeth (GREEN CIRCLE) were fine, it was the spiral cable teeth that was bad. Rust was the result of years of Oregon Sunshine. The lower tube (PURPLE CIRCLE) was plugged and full of water so the lower half of cable was always sitting in water, apparently. Top half of cable, that never gets used, was like new. Solution was to swap the cable around to make it use the top end like new teeth. The top of cable is the part that attaches to window (RED CIRCLE). That bracket that is attached to the cable spins off the cable. This is the part you screw onto the lower end of cable, the bad rusted out end. Now you have the bad teeth up top by the glass attachment and not in use by the window regulator anymore. It does require you to remove the regulator from door. Bit of a contorsion to get it out, but it does come out without bending tube. You can buy the whole thing for about $110 online if you choose, but you still have to remove everything just like I did.

Small world, looks like we are in same area. A few weeks ago some of these were listed on Craigslist in the Portland listings. Another source for local Jeep parts is 205 Auto Wrecking, besides the dwindling choices for U-PULL-IT places. Below is the link for online new part.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...=0&searchTerm=

Hope this picture works. First time drawing a diagram.

Last edited by Oswalla; 03-01-2016 at 03:47 PM.