Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ or FSJ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline/straight 6-cylinder
Default XJ or FSJ?

How do I tell if my Cherokee (1988, straight 6 cylinder, 4x4, automatic, 4-door) is FSJ or just XJ (or something else)?

Also, if anyone knows, where is a good go-to place in San Diego to get honest, (preferably not-expensive) assessment and work done on my Jeep?

THANKS!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

what work needs to be done? i would highly suggest you try working on the jeep yourself.

also take a picture of it and post it on the forum.

-Kyle
Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your reply, Kyle.

I wish I had the time & mechanical inclination to work on it myself!

I'll try to post picture(s) soon.

List of what the Jeep's problems? (It's a long one):

SEEMS MORE IMPORTANT
* 4x4 selector: not smooth locking? Or maybe I just don't know exactly how it should be??
* antenna: doesn't retract
* cooling system: overheats, spills the coolant
* cruise control: stopped working a couple or few years ago.
* exhaust: loud'ish/rumbling (?modified to be louder?)
* drips oil: not a lot, but at least a couple/few drips every day.
* headlight: horizontal adjusting screw doesn't stop turning/won't hold positioning
* idle: very high rev on startup. Sometimes won't die down to normal idle, so I have to turn car off, let sit for a minute, re-start. Sometimes takes several attempts.
* seat (driver): very loose/wiggly (left-to-right). Just became that way last week!
* steering: considerably looser than any other car I've driven. Is that a problem to be adjusted, or is that normal for Cherokee steering to have so much play?

LESS IMPORTANT
* air conditioner: no cold air comes out. empty? Maybe a leak? something broken? refill needed? maybe replace or repair system?
* alarm (aftermarket): stopped working some years ago
* alarm remote unlock button: stopped working some years ago. Then the unlock button started working as lock and unlock.
* bumper strips (right name?): not applied
* cargo area metal rails: bent/sticking up, hanging loose/not secured
* ceiling fabric: detached at very front
* center console/armrest: lid isn't connected. hinge screw holes are stripped
* door (driver): doesn't hold in open position. don't know why.
* door (front passenger): doesn't hold in open position. missing pivot pin.
* fog light: won't hold its position
* fog light glass: broken
* front grill: cracked
* gas pedal: loose: jimmy-rigged
* headrests: don't lock in place
* heating/a.c. ducts: sometimes seems weak pressure during heater; seems to be cool draft around dashboard sometimes. ?properly sealed/routed?
* interior plastic beneath glove box: sags. Underneath plastic is stripped/cracked/broke/eroded/dryrot where screw goes into.
* keyhole (passenger): doesn't work. vandalized/attempted break-in.
* light (under hood): not working
* locks (front doors): sometimes real sticky during electric control; unlocks/locks after several attempts.
* locks (rear doors): don't work; but they do twitch.
* mirrors electric control: click-click-click sound and twitching of mirrors at end of range
* rims: I don't like gold-colored, want to replace. Don't need fancy or expensive, just not gold-colored.
* seat (back) side posts (maybe back rests' posts, too): bent (the posts where back seat goes in/out of body)
* seat (driver): torn
* seats (all): worn. need conditioner/moisturizer of some sort?
* shocks/struts: I wonder if they are in good shape. When I hit bumps/holes, it is pretty jolting. When I'm hauling or towing moderately heavy'ish loads, I'm pretty bottomed out.
* speaker (front left). intermittently works.
* stereo (aftermarket): sometimes won't turn on, then suddenly, while driving, it will turn on.
* stereo (aftermarket): no access to its auxiliary audio plug routed to dashboard
* sun visor (driver): worn/deteriorating. needs reupholster.
* sun visor (passenger): loose, pulling out of roof. screw won't grab hold.
* power windows: move slow, and even slower when more than one is activated.
* windshield washer fluid level indicator: not sure if working properly.
* wiper blades don't wipe well. worn out. I'd prefer to ONLY replace the rubber blades, not the whole arm assembly - if possible.
* wispy flittering sound: light sound, every now and then, coming from front left of the car, seemingly in engine or dashboard area.

I left out some of the things I know I can fix.

Whaddya think?

Ted

Last edited by ted939; 12-08-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding items/lines
Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM

what exactly do you want me to tell you about this list

-Kyle
Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
what exactly do you want me to tell you about this list

-Kyle
Anything helpful, I suppose.
You asked me, "what work needs to be done?", so I gave the answer.

If anybody can help out w/this, much appreciated!

AND, as far as my original question on this post, if anyone can tell me how I can I tell if my '88 Jeep Cherokee (straight 6 cylinder, 4-door, 4x4, automatic) is XJ or FSJ or otherwise, I'd appreciate it.

I see at www.go2rdsi.com/racing/jeepid.html where it says (boldface by me):
* XJ: The Jeep Cherokee built from 1984-2001.
* SJ or FSJ: A Fullsize Jeep Wagoneer or Cherokee built from 1963-1991.

That leaves me wondering, how do I find out if my Cherokee is Fullsize or just XJ?

Ted

Last edited by ted939; 12-08-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: re-asking original question
Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 PM

well a lot of the little things (ex door hinges, fog lights, "bumper strips") can be found at the JY and easily installed.

the 4x4 selector doesnt exactly "lock" in place but rather slides and you sort of have to just feel the correct position.

antenna isnt supposed to retract

cooling system needs to be converted to a closed cooling system

your CC probably has a vac leak which needs to be traced down and fixed

where does the oil drip from? pic?

your idle issue is having to do with the TPS which either needs to be replaced or adjusted.

steering, your not going to find a "tight" jeep but things you can do are replace the TRE's and ball joints to help tighten it up, after you do that maybe look into a new steering stabilizer.

-Kyle
Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM

well a lot of the little things (ex door hinges, fog lights, "bumper strips") can be found at the JY and easily installed.
"easily" is relative. With my lack of tools, space, time and mechanical inclination & know-how, it's not very easy for me.

antenna isnt supposed to retract
Then, why is it telescopic and looking like every other retractable antenna I've ever seen?

your CC probably has a vac leak which needs to be traced down and fixed
What is "CC"?

where does the oil drip from? pic?
I don't know. There's not some bead of oil, about to drip, hanging on the underside of the engine area, that I can trace some stream of oil to the leak. I just know that every time I pull my car out of the driveway, there is some new little oil spot. If I let it sit there for a while, it becomes a small puddle.

your idle issue is having to do with the TPS which either needs to be replaced or adjusted.
What is "TPS"?

steering, your not going to find a "tight" jeep but things you can do are replace the TRE's and ball joints to help tighten it up, after you do that maybe look into a new steering stabilizer.
Yeah, but 20+ degrees (if I'm estimating right) turning the wheel w/out really affecting the steering? Is that normal for Jeeps?

Hey, THANKS for your time, by the way,

Ted
Old 12-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ted939
"easily" is relative. With my lack of tools, space, time and mechanical inclination & know-how, it's not very easy for me.

Then, why is it telescopic and looking like every other retractable antenna I've ever seen?

What is "CC"?

I don't know. There's not some bead of oil, about to drip, hanging on the underside of the engine area, that I can trace some stream of oil to the leak. I just know that every time I pull my car out of the driveway, there is some new little oil spot. If I let it sit there for a while, it becomes a small puddle.

What is "TPS"?

Yeah, but 20+ degrees (if I'm estimating right) turning the wheel w/out really affecting the steering? Is that normal for Jeeps?

Hey, THANKS for your time, by the way,

Ted
the antenna thing is odd, the older XJ's probably had a retractable ant. i would just leave it up and not worry about it.

CC = cruse control

take a picture of the leak and post it.

TPS = throttle position sensor

20* seems a bit much, look into replacing the things that i mentioned above.

-Kyle
Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 91 grand waggy and the gas tank fell off 3 times (michigan winter=tons of salt.) I also had to re-do the power steering system once. Not sure if that was a common problem, but it was all sorts of expensive to fix. other than that, I loved that jeep more than I can say. I was in high school and had no idea that I had 44s front and back. If only I could have that now.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

midsizexj=

fullsize cherokee's only came in 2 door as well

Last edited by ktmracer419; 12-09-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ted939
Thanks for your reply, Kyle.

I wish I had the time & mechanical inclination to work on it myself!

I'll try to post picture(s) soon.

List of what the Jeep's problems? (It's a long one):

SEEMS MORE IMPORTANT
* 4x4 selector: not smooth locking? Or maybe I just don't know exactly how it should be??

in 4-hi or 4-low? your probably just not used to it

* antenna: doesn't retract

could be bad fuse or wiring problem, bad motor or jammed

* cooling system: overheats, spills the coolant

cooling problem (duh) could be anything, cant really point you in the right direction without more info

* cruise control: stopped working a couple or few years ago.

cable could have fallen off throttle linkage or vacuum leak

* exhaust: loud'ish/rumbling (?modified to be louder?)

could simply be an exhaust leak or aftermarket exhaust, start it up and take a look under there

* drips oil: not a lot, but at least a couple/few drips every day.

it's a jeep

* headlight: horizontal adjusting screw doesn't stop turning/won't hold positioning

usually those are rusted solid! try some loc-tite blue

* idle: very high rev on startup. Sometimes won't die down to normal idle, so I have to turn car off, let sit for a minute, re-start. Sometimes takes several attempts.

throttle linkage problem

* seat (driver): very loose/wiggly (left-to-right). Just became that way last week!

nuts holding seat to floor could be loose or adjusting mechanism loose

* steering: considerably looser than any other car I've driven. Is that a problem to be adjusted, or is that normal for Cherokee steering to have so much play?

ive noticed a dead spot in the steering of almost every xj ive driven, especially compared to other cars, if you can compare it to another xj and it still feels excessively loose it could be steering box or steering shaft related

LESS IMPORTANT
* air conditioner: no cold air comes out. empty? Maybe a leak? something broken? refill needed? maybe replace or repair system?

again, it's an xj. my 91 is the only jeep pre-95 i know of with good working ac, this would need to be diagnosed at a shop

* alarm (aftermarket): stopped working some years ago

silly electricity

* alarm remote unlock button: stopped working some years ago. Then the unlock button started working as lock and unlock.

quite odd, change battery?

* bumper strips (right name?): not applied

some xj's didnt come with them

* cargo area metal rails: bent/sticking up, hanging loose/not secured

rip em' out! some xj's didnt come with them

* ceiling fabric: detached at very front

needs new headliner

* center console/armrest: lid isn't connected. hinge screw holes are stripped

try bigger screws

* door (driver): doesn't hold in open position. don't know why.

holding mechanism could be worn

* door (front passenger): doesn't hold in open position. missing pivot pin.

pivot pin could be missing

* fog light: won't hold its position

tighten it?

* fog light glass: broken

replace it?

* front grill: cracked

replace it?

* gas pedal: loose: jimmy-rigged

this could explain the high idle on startup

* headrests: don't lock in place

worn springs

* heating/a.c. ducts: sometimes seems weak pressure during heater; seems to be cool draft around dashboard sometimes. ?properly sealed/routed?

possibly

* interior plastic beneath glove box: sags. Underneath plastic is stripped/cracked/broke/eroded/dryrot where screw goes into.

live with it or replace

* keyhole (passenger): doesn't work. vandalized/attempted break-in.

replace

* light (under hood): not working

needs new bulb or bad wiring

* locks (front doors): sometimes real sticky during electric control; unlocks/locks after several attempts.

old parts, mine do it too

* locks (rear doors): don't work; but they do twitch.

check linkage/replace

* mirrors electric control: click-click-click sound and twitching of mirrors at end of range

probably gunked up in there

* rims: I don't like gold-colored, want to replace. Don't need fancy or expensive, just not gold-colored.

junkyard scrounging is fun! any xj rim will bolt up as well as zj,yj and tj

* seat (back) side posts (maybe back rests' posts, too): bent (the posts where back seat goes in/out of body)

i dont quite follow

* seat (driver): torn

seat covers or replace or live with it

* seats (all): worn. need conditioner/moisturizer of some sort?

maybees

* shocks/struts: I wonder if they are in good shape. When I hit bumps/holes, it is pretty jolting. When I'm hauling or towing moderately heavy'ish loads, I'm pretty bottomed out.

push down on corner of vehicle, if vehicle bounces more than 2 times replace shocks

* speaker (front left). intermittently works.

wiring
* stereo (aftermarket): sometimes won't turn on, then suddenly, while driving, it will turn on.

wiring

* stereo (aftermarket): no access to its auxiliary audio plug routed to dashboard

needs wiring

* sun visor (driver): worn/deteriorating. needs reupholster.

OH NOZ

* sun visor (passenger): loose, pulling out of roof. screw won't grab hold.

bigger screw

* power windows: move slow, and even slower when more than one is activated.

lube the window slides and linkage under door panel

* windshield washer fluid level indicator: not sure if working properly.

unplug the sensor, those things are garbage

* wiper blades don't wipe well. worn out. I'd prefer to ONLY replace the rubber blades, not the whole arm assembly - if possible.

measure your wipers, go to an auto parts store and buy new wipers

* wispy flittering sound: light sound, every now and then, coming from front left of the car, seemingly in engine or dashboard area.

could be anything

I left out some of the things I know I can fix.

Whaddya think?

Ted

-sam
Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM

i hate to stir up something im not completly sure about but i di know that the fsj came in a four door as well as a two door. Now the names may be different cherokee versus grand cherokee or a grand wagoneer but this is just what i have noticed.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L
Default wheels

You can also use ford ranger wheels on the xj. They come in 14, 15 & 16 inch. Steel or mags. Don't get the 14's, may not fit the jeep, and their too small. Also some dodge full-size car, truck or vans. Lots of cheap JY choices. lil jeepers
Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

I suggest you post some pics of your jeep, inside/outside/engine/underneath/rear springs/etc.

I am pretty sure you have an XJ

I think you need to just tackle the problems one at a time. Many of those are normal on a 20+ year old vehicle. Parts wear out over time and need to be replaced/fixed

Very many of your problems are very easy to fix. Just look at ktmracer419's post.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lil Jeepers
You can also use ford ranger wheels on the xj. They come in 14, 15 & 16 inch. Steel or mags. Don't get the 14's, may not fit the jeep, and their too small. Also some dodge full-size car, truck or vans. Lots of cheap JY choices. lil jeepers
Originally Posted by Ritter4.0
I suggest you post some pics of your jeep, inside/outside/engine/underneath/rear springs/etc.

I am pretty sure you have an XJ

I think you need to just tackle the problems one at a time. Many of those are normal on a 20+ year old vehicle. Parts wear out over time and need to be replaced/fixed

Very many of your problems are very easy to fix. Just look at ktmracer419's post.
Hey guys, the last post in this thread was made on 12-16-2007, 11:54 PM. That is all.

Quick Reply: XJ or FSJ?