Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ Front Suspension

I have a 2001 Cherokee that is starting to develop a bit of death wobble.
The Jeep has 114k miles and I figured it probably time to start looking into replacing parts and bushings to get the front suspension back to new.

What parts do you guys recommend to start with?
I am sure that I currently need an alignment and they could possible be part of my problem, but I wanted to go ahead a replace some of the 'known' problematic parts before I get an alignment.

Also, keep in mind that later down the road I am planing on a RE or RC lift, somewhere around 3" to 3.5". So any parts that I can buy now that will save me down the road if I lift would be great.

I use the Jeep as a daily driver and never on trails, just the occasional off road use.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

problem is, lifted parts are generally too long for stock applications.
i would start with replacing the axle end upper control arm bushings, then maybe the track bar bushing.
then check the parts that are not included in the lift, such as wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

if you're gonna piece your lift together, one piece at a time, make sure you get adjustable pieces, such as track bar and upper and lower control arms.

then get an alignment as soon as the lift is in the jeep, don't drive it there unless you are gonna do a driveway alignment first to toe the wheels out enough for a safe drive.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by wcjr
starting to develop a bit of death wobble.

I am sure that I currently need an alignment and they could possible be part of my problem, but I wanted to go ahead a replace some of the 'known' problematic parts before I get an alignment
First, one doesnt usually develop "a bit of a death wobble". Death wobble is a SERIOUS problem. Its not a shimmy, shake or rattle. Its a HARD wobbling that seems like youre going to die, hence the name. The whole front wobbles and shakes so hard you think your vehicle is going to fall apart completely.

Second, if youre SURE you need an alignment, how do you not consider that a problem that needs addressing now?

Death wobble is a serious issue and I think a lot of people use the term for any slightly rattle in the front end. Check your u-joints, ball joints, TRE's, bushings, etc. But before you do that, spend the $55 bucks and get a front end alignment. ALWAYS start with known issues when trouble-shooting. You could replace your whole front end only to cause a real death wobble if you dont have your front end aligned correctly. And replacing parts on top of a bad alignment is only going to make things worse. If youre stock (which it sounds) and "developing a bit of a death wobble", Im guessing you dont have real death wobble. Go to a shop, have them do an alignment and check to see inspect the front end to see if anything looks out of whack under there.

Last edited by bigvig; 09-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I thought it was called death wobble not cause of how bad it shakes, but cause it shakes hard enough to make you crash?.. Not that this is related...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by bigvig
First, one doesnt usually develop "a bit of a death wobble". Death wobble is a SERIOUS problem. Its not a shimmy, shake or rattle. Its a HARD wobbling that seems like youre going to die, hence the name. The whole front wobbles and shakes so hard you think your vehicle is going to fall apart completely.
I don't entirely agree with this. I do agree with your other comment that people think any vibration in the front end is death wobble but you absolutely can feel the start of a death wobble situation without it progressing into full-on death wobble.

It is basically the same scenario just reduced. Mine used to do it before I re-did the lift. At higher speeds (50ish and up) if you hit a bump you could feel the wheels start to bounce back and forth but it would settle down.

There is certainly a point where it will start but not continue on into full-blown DW - and maybe that is the distinction. "Starting signs of death wobble" isn't the same thing as "death wobble".
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM

I guess Im wondering how one knows that you are developing a bit of a death wobble? I mean, "death wobble", as its name implies, is a SERIOUS issue. Can you honestly say that you feel a vibration/shimmy/shake/wobble in the front and you KNOW its going to turn into death wobble? If it doesnt progress into full on death wobble, then it was not death wobble, right?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Try swapping on new tires.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigvig
I guess Im wondering how one knows that you are developing a bit of a death wobble? I mean, "death wobble", as its name implies, is a SERIOUS issue. Can you honestly say that you feel a vibration/shimmy/shake/wobble in the front and you KNOW its going to turn into death wobble? If it doesnt progress into full on death wobble, then it was not death wobble, right?
I consider it a 'bit of death wobble' because it doesn't do it all the time.
Yes I know the difference between death wobble and a shimmy or shake in the front. The death wobble only happens every now and then when I hit pot holes, bumps in the road etc. (Has only done it twice, but I've only had the Jeep for 6 months). My other concern is and the reason for make a "XJ Front Suspension" thread was to ask about typical worn parts that should be replaced before getting an alignment. I don't see the reason for getting an alignment then swapping parts/bushings in and out then having to get another alignment. Just doesn't make since to throw $50.00 away each time.

But to answer your question, yes I also have a shimmy and shake in the front end during normal driving, that I would also like to get addressed.

Last edited by wcjr; 09-14-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Then if you dont want to correct the alignment that you know is off and even admit could be part of the problem, whats the point of the thread? There are a hundred "death wobble" threads already, so start replacing stuff and see what happens I guess. Youll spend a lot more than $50 bucks but hey, you might get lucky and replace whats causing the problem.

Again, take it for an alignment and have them inspect the front end. WELL WORTH the $50 bucks. But thats just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Check all of your tie rod ends and the ball joints. Replacing any or all of them isn't going to "waste" money unless you swap steering setup or upgrade the axle.

Most places guarantee their work. If you get an alignment and find you have wobbles you can take it back to them to get it aligned again. Make sure you ask the person about their policy though just in case.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Guys, I was just wanting to know what the typical wear items are on the front.
I am not wanting to re-do the entire front suspension, just bring it back to its original factory new condition. I am sure that over 10 years and 100k miles is bound to wear a few parts out.

If I get time I will take a few pics of my front end and show you guys what I'm working with. Just at glancing under the front, its visible that I have worn, cracked, stressed bushings.

Also I could do an alignment now, but if I start replacing stuff wouldn't that require another alignment?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Ball joints u-joints bushings and tie rod ends oh and unit bearings
Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM

At this age, time on the road, etc., EVERYTHING is typically worn if it hasnt been replaced, and even if it has it can still fail. Youre not going to get one straight answer, thats the thing. ALL parts wear out, let alone fail. Its all a crap shoot. If you dont know the exact problem, you cant fix it. Ball joints, TRE's, steering stabilizer, bushings, bearings, ujoints, etc., are all parts that can and will fail and wear out. Unless you diagnose the actual issue (go to a shop and have them inspect it if you cant) its all money well spent, sure, but its still unnecessary.

Last edited by bigvig; 09-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by wcjr
I consider it a 'bit of death wobble' because it doesn't do it all the time.
Yes I know the difference between death wobble and a shimmy or shake in the front. The death wobble only happens every now and then when I hit pot holes, bumps in the road etc. (Has only done it twice, but I've only had the Jeep for 6 months). My other concern is and the reason for make a "XJ Front Suspension" thread was to ask about typical worn parts that should be replaced before getting an alignment. I don't see the reason for getting an alignment then swapping parts/bushings in and out then having to get another alignment. Just doesn't make since to throw $50.00 away each time.

But to answer your question, yes I also have a shimmy and shake in the front end during normal driving, that I would also like to get addressed.
I bet if you get an alignment your death wobble will go away. Yours sounds just like mine was and as soon as I got the alignment done I couldn't make it wobble. Now if you were getting it just driving at speed I'd say look at parts but this to me sounds like your alignment.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

My wifes TJ was so bad the windshield frame was shaking loose as the whole truck was trulyng to shake in many different directions. As the lower half of the truck shook violently one direction it seemed as thought the rest of the truck was shaking the opposite direction.

Imagine shaking a long pensil buy the eraser to make it look 'rubbery' like we used to do as kids. (Pretending to know magic)

That's what the Wrangler did. Death wobble to the extreme.

I swapped the rims and tires, and it hasn't come back. Its been a couple months now, still good.

Again, try swapping tires first. They wear as well.

Quick Reply: XJ Front Suspension