Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ clunking in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ clunking in 4wd

Hello All. New to the site, thanks for having me. I have searched past inquiries regarding this problem in the forums. I was able to get some great info, but still was not completely sure of the fix. Hence my question. Here it is.

Bone stock 98' XJ. 4.0 5 speed 4x4. 180k miles. No off-road driving other then few times a year in the snow. Just replaced the front axel u-joints and bearing/hub assemblies. When in 4wd, the XJ experiences a horrible "clunking" noise from somewhere in the front end. Both high and low 4wd produces the problem. When turning either left or right, the "clunk" seems to be worse (louder and more pronounced). I have read on the site that the front drive shaft u-joints are probably bad. Is there any other suggestions of what might be wrong? Will replacing the DS u-joints get the job done? Or should the DS be replaced? Would the T-case be suspect for the noise? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did it clunk like this before changing the axle u joints and unit bearings?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Cruiser54- Unfortunately, I do not know. I am the original owner, but a family member had the vehicle for the past 8 years. I just got it back and immediately did the axel u joints and bearings when I noticed they were shot. I did not test out the 4wd until after the work was done.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

is there a variation in sound depending on your speed? as in, the faster you drive the "quicker" the sound gets?

you're saying when turning it gets more pronounced, so from your description I would rule out anything related to the driveshaft and transfer case since those are not really affected by steering. doesn't hurt to check u joints though, but it seems you've already done that. maybe a gear inside your diff, but I'm not too knowledgable about them so I'll stop there.

might be good to check ball joints if not already done, drag link, track bar and tie rod ends as well. jack up the front and make sure everything is tight. finally I'd check the sway bar links or disconnects if you have those. I had one loose on the drive side and a bad bushing on the passenger side, so when turning it would clunk pretty bad (but not going straight).
Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM

Cane. Thanks for the response. I should have added in my original posting. I did all of the tie rod ends, drag link, and the steering damper as well. Just took the XJ out for a test run to verify the "clunking". Mild occasional clunk when driving straight. Horrendous non-stop clunk when turning both directions under power. The noise is louder and I can feel it more when speeding up. I hope the description helps. I am starting to think you are correct, not so much the DS. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

With those miles, replacing both front hubs wouldn't be a bad idea.

They could be making the noise.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 AM

Firestorm. Hubs are new. Just did them. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jkmrz8
Cane. Thanks for the response. I should have added in my original posting. I did all of the tie rod ends, drag link, and the steering damper as well. Just took the XJ out for a test run to verify the "clunking". Mild occasional clunk when driving straight. Horrendous non-stop clunk when turning both directions under power. The noise is louder and I can feel it more when speeding up. I hope the description helps. I am starting to think you are correct, not so much the DS. Thank you.
All the parts aside, can you tell me which transfer case you have? Do you have a 4x4 full time option, or only part time?

If it's part time and you're trying it on dry pavement, some binding when the wheels are turning is normal since both axles are locked together, but only up to a certain point (your case sounds worse than wheels binding). I'm going on a limp here but maybe there is something wrong with your diff. But like I said earlier I can't help there since my knowledge of them is pretty limited. I'd get that checked out as a last resort, after you've made sure all suspension components are fine.

If you have a gopro type of camera, try mounting it on the front pointing towards the axle and try to see if you notice anything.

Last edited by Cane; 01-19-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Firestorm. Hubs are new. Just did them. Thanks for the response.
Is the transfer case fluid new, or nearly so?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM

NP231 T-Case. 2wd, 4H, 4L. The sound is much worse then your standard binding on pavement. The sound and feeling make me cringe. I was unable to crack open the drain plug on the t-case, so the fluid is old and unchanged.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Take it to a shop and pay them to change the fluid.

If that solves the problem, it will be a cheap fix. If it doesn't, you may be looking at a transfer case rebuild, if it can be rebuilt.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Year: 95

Not trying to thread jack but I think I am having similar issues. Mine seems to be primarily from the right front. Only when 4wd is engaged. The instant any torque is applied I get a very loud clunk when the wheel wants to move. I initially suspected u-joints so I have a rebuild kit with new wheel bearings on order as well as have new ball joints ready to go on but after reading this thread I'm concerned the issue is deeper.

However, I noticed while driving through my icy alley, that when I apply the brakes and the fronts lock up (no ABS), I get the same clunking noise. Could this still potentially be a u-joint issue? NP231, 95 2 door.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Firestorm. Will do. I will have the shop fill the t-case and diagnose the sound. I will report back with the findings. Hopefully I will be able to perform the fix if it's not the fluid. Thanks all.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Nick. I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your questions. I hope someone can get you squared away. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

NP231 T-Case. 2wd, 4H, 4L. The sound is much worse then your standard binding on pavement. The sound and feeling make me cringe. I was unable to crack open the drain plug on the t-case, so the fluid is old and unchanged.
yeah it's definitely not normal, but to me it still seems to be related. in 2wd your front driveshaft still spins and all of the components we talked about are being used, but don't create a similar sounds. when you're in 4x4 though, all hell breaks loose. add on top of that it gets worse when turning, I'm definitely thinking either differential or transfer case. let us know when you find out by the shop.

Originally Posted by Nick_S
Not trying to thread jack but I think I am having similar issues. Mine seems to be primarily from the right front. Only when 4wd is engaged. The instant any torque is applied I get a very loud clunk when the wheel wants to move. I initially suspected u-joints so I have a rebuild kit with new wheel bearings on order as well as have new ball joints ready to go on but after reading this thread I'm concerned the issue is deeper.

However, I noticed while driving through my icy alley, that when I apply the brakes and the fronts lock up (no ABS), I get the same clunking noise. Could this still potentially be a u-joint issue? NP231, 95 2 door.
jack up the front and turn the wheels by hand. check for any play in the ujoints. also take your wheel at the 12 and 6 o clock position and try moving it back & forth see if there's any lateral play, that would be ball joints &/or wheel bearings.

it takes a lot to break something inside your axle, so I wouldn't worry too much. you said it happens mostly or only on one side, which leads me to believe it's simple maintenance parts.

Last edited by Cane; 01-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: XJ clunking in 4wd