Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

xj

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default xj

I have a 2000 xj,about 150k. I'm 75 yrs old and know neither I nor my xj will go on forever.In the event the xj goes first,what is the equivalent vehicle in the new jeep lineup,whats closest to the xj's,but w/hopefully better gas mileage??
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

honda civic
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

If gas mileage is the most important, probably the Liberty. If off-road capability is important, maybe the Wrangler. (Though the Liberty will offer decent off-road capability, too.) There really is no equivalent current model, in my opinion. Maybe others will have a different opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

In your case, "equivalent" might be based on size, or off-road capability, or on-road driving dynamics, or foul weather performance, or some combination of those or other factors.

This is just my opinion, but I think the closest equivalent would be a four door Wrangler Unlimited. Here's why...

Yes, the Liberty and others will give you some decent off road capability, but where they fall short is:

1) All the plastic bumpers and cladding.
2) The weak V6 that is the standard offering in them.
3) Perhaps some ground clearance issues.

A four door Wrangler will have off-road capability closer to your Cherokee than the modern mall cruisers will have. And has steel bumpers! In my opinion the Cherokee falls midway on the capability scale between the current Liberty on one side and the Wrangler on the other side. If it were me, I'd go up in capability, not down. But I'm not 75, so your desires may be different.

However, the newer Liberty with a Pentastar V6, a mild lift, and some decent wheels, tires, and other goodies could be a great daily driver while still allowing you to go off road more than the normal would allow. And it will get you about 5 MPG better on the highway. Jeeps still have aerodynamics by Maytag, so don't expect a huge jump in fuel economy unless you want to go with a Compass, which I would be afraid to take off road through anything deeper than a small mud puddle.

One thing you can say for certain. The resale value of a Wrangler will be considerably higher than that of any other Jeep vehicle. Used Liberties and Grand Cherokees fall in value very quickly compared to Wranglers. For example, it's pretty easy to find a 97-01 Cherokee for $2000-$3000. I sold my '02 Wrangler this past year, with 147K on the odometer, for $10,000 to the first guy that came and looked at it.
If resale is important to you, get online and compare prices on 5-6 year old Jeep vehicles of all kinds. It's not unusual for Wranglers to sell for 100%-300% more than the same year Grand Cherokee or Liberty.