Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ 01 shacking at parking with a/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ 01 shacking at parking with a/c

Hi, so im still fighting with DW problem, no solution yet, its frustrating since its my daily drive

So i was parked waiting with a/c on, temp was at 210 may be a little more, local weather was at 104 degrees, and all of the sudden my jeep started to shake like if it was going to turn of, like if it had problems with the gas pump or something similar.

The thing is that it does it only when im parked and if i leave it on on parking with the a/c, cause i leave it in park without the a/c it does not do it.

I put some lucas for the gas, thinking it was that but no, still does it, i think is something with the throttle cause i try to accelerate and it does not turn off, but i have to rev it like at 1200 rpms more less.

I cleaned the air filter, couple of months changed spark plugs, I have 130,000 miles on it. I

Does any one have other suggestions?

I new with jeeps, so any help I will appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Have you looked under the hood while this happens?

Is the belt slipping on the ac compressor?

Does the problem go away when you turn off the AC?

If you can't be good, be good at it!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM

no i have not, few months i replace the clutch of the a/c compressor, one more thing, my belt squeels when i leave the a/c on when i first start it, then after a minute or two it stops
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM

I would use the 'ol mark II eyeball and get a visual. Without that, it's just guessing.

If you can't be good, be good at it!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM

So i open the hood when it started to do the idle shaking.....what i saw is that when it started to do that, the a/c compressor turned off and then back on, then off again then it rev by itself and compressor was on again.....waited for a few seconds then it did it again, on off on off then rev by itself then stopped, it does it like three or four times then it shakes too much that it dies, i have to turn it back on.

It did it all of the sudden, no other symptoms before, just from a day to another.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Engine: 4.0

I am interested to see what peoples suggestions are. Mine does something very similar, Mine only seems to do it when I had the AC on and I shut off the vehicle, then if i start it again it shakes like hell and would quit unless I rev it up then it seems to "clear it ". it does not matter how long I let it sit when i shut it off. and it only does it on the start up.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM

yes mine too, only with the a/c on, if i turn it off, it does not do it
Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Sounds like one of 2 things to me.

Either you need to charge the system, or the shaft bearing on the compressor is going bad.

Check the charge, and if that isn't it, pull the compressor and rotate the pulley by hand. It's hard to describe what you're checking for, other than that it should turn easily without a grinding noise or feel to it.

If it is the compressor, and you don't address it, it will lock up and snap your belt. Usually In a torrential downpour on your way to a job interview.

I say that from first-hand experience.

Out of curiosity, that's a stock 183a system, right? Or did you change it over...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM

my system is the stock, i had already replace the clutch of the compressor once, it happen on my way to my house, took it to a place and they charge me 50 dlls to replace with parts.

It also makes a squeek noise at the beginning when i turn on the truck with the ac, after a few minutes its stops, does this mean a new compressor??
Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 PM

The shaft bearing is not replacable. Check those things before moving forward.

Remember that "new" parts from a shop aren't always new, as advertized. Also, I've gotten new parts that were bad out of the box.

Verify for yourself before throwing random parts at it.

My money's on your system being low on refrigerant.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Year: 2000

My ac would squeak when I turned it on, just tightened the belt and it's all good.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Year: 2000

You got to tighten it really tight considering the crazy belt route. I mean tight. I did a few whole revolutions of the tensioner (2000xj) and started the car with ac on to check for noise in between.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Btommy
I am interested to see what peoples suggestions are. Mine does something very similar, Mine only seems to do it when I had the AC on and I shut off the vehicle, then if i start it again it shakes like hell and would quit unless I rev it up then it seems to "clear it ". it does not matter how long I let it sit when i shut it off. and it only does it on the start up.
Sounds like you have the heat soak issue, it's somewhat common on 4.0's. You can do a quick search on "heat soak" to learn more but basically fuel in the fuel rail close to the injectors vaporizes after you shut the engine off since heat from the exhaust manifold below the rail rises up. The next time you start the engine (especially within a few minutes of shutdown) it misfires until the vapor is cleared out, then it will run fine. Usually only happens on hot days with a hot engine (having the A/C on). Sometimes it will throw a misfire code, usually on cylinders 3 and 4. I wrapped my fuel rail and all the injectors with a special (and expensive) high performance heat insulation wrap and I haven't seen the issue since. I also have a delay timer on my electric fan to help expel some heat out of the engine compartment after shut down. Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Sounds like you're low on refrigerant and/or oil for the system.

They sell the refrigerant now with the needed oil in it in some cases. I know on my R-134 system I need 6 oz of 100 for example.