Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Xenon Headlights?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default Xenon Headlights?

Ok, now I know there are several headlight threads, but none answered my question. My question is about Xenon headlights.

I currently have stock bulbs, I thought somebody here said those are 35w, which wouldn't surprise me, they light up a very small area and are almost useless with the street lights. I was considering a headlight conversion to Xenon. I've seen several listed, and I was just wondering what the best I could get for a reasonable price. I don't want something dirt cheap, I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want something incredibly expensive either. Could somebody please point me in the right direction, such as a website or store.

I have a second question about Xenon, it's about the light temperature. They range from about 4k to 12k. I like the white, they range from 3.8k to 4.3k that I've seen, and are still white. I was wondering if both of these are street legal (as I said, I'm in California), and which ones you can actually see better with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would really love to rid myself of these awful stock lights.

Last edited by GreenClassic; 12-24-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I think quadratech has the housings that will take a normal bulb, for color temp i wouldnt go over 8k 6-8K gets a little blue (i have 8k HIDs in my daily) I would do something between 4 an 6 for the best most usable light.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Go with the IPFs sold by Quadratec. I have IPF housings with the white bulbs and I HIGHLY recommend them. Night and day difference over the stockers....no pun intended...LOL.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Is this what you guys are talking about?:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_600.htm

If so, will I need to update any wiring harnesses or does it come with that?

What, if anything, will I need to replace?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

you shouldn't need to replace the wire harness because the plugs are the same! I would however suggest that you do the HID conv. you can go to http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/HID-Kits.html choose the h4 bulb size. The bulbs plug into a ballast and the ballast plugs into your existing headlight plug. you will need to change your headlight housing. go to ebay and try to get some projector beams but beware that the hid bulbs are longer and may not fit behind the projector lens so ask the seller! next this site gives you a little insight on hid http://www.hid-conversion-kits.com

Next up http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...kee+headlightsThats a link for the headlight housing browse and pick out what u like. Hope this helps God Bless!!!

Last edited by RJW4; 12-25-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

About the HID setup, why does the housing need to be projector? Does the projector work best with the HID?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM

Year: 1990 laredo

the projector has a cutoff shield which controls the light to shine only on the road ahead. It is installed between the bulb and projector lens. An HID bulb in a halogen housing is bad practice for your main driving lights as it will blind the oncoming traffic. Check out www.hidplanet.com, it is a forum just for HIDs and has all the info you could ever want.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 AM

here is the pattern of the xenon lights in my car. They are 4800K D2S bulbs driven by hella 35W ballasts. The lights are Hella as well, and the setup is about as good as it gets for my 5 series.

about 10 feet from that wall, notice how low the cutoff is? So if I were sitting behind you in traffic I would not be blinding you thru your mirrors.

Now on the open
road note the light pattern is totally different. the projectors are aimed to fall on the road way ahead, which is why projectors are essential for HID/ xenon lighting.

see how you can see the stop ahead sign way down the road? That is about a 1/4 mile away.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Got it, I wouldn't want to blind anybody, reminds me of those morons who drive around with their high beams on.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm definitely considering HID. I'll just have to gather the funds for it.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM

just a lil warning, once you go real xenon you never go back.

I will be replacing my sealed beams with a custom projector setup at some point. I have a lot of other things to get fixed first though.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: strait 6, 4.0 HO

i got 5ks and they are awsome thay look like esclaid lights, im a bad speller
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have a few more questions. I have been looking for HID headlight kits. There are a bunch of different bulb types, and I found some projector housings that take H4 bulbs.

So I'm looking at HID kits, and I know that they can use H4 bulbs. My concern is still at the stock wiring. I have never changed headlights on my Jeep. I'm sure the sealed beam halogens have some sort of "plug" or connector that goes into the stock wiring harness. I think I read somewhere that the XJ has a 3 prong plug. Will all HID kits have this 3 prong plug or will they vary. I want to go for the Bi-Xenon so I can still have my high beams.

I've emailed several places that I am interested in getting them for my XJ, but they keep saying "you can't do that to sealed beams", but when I tell them I have new housings that can hold replaceable bulbs, they don't respond.

Anybody that has the HID on their XJ, could you please give me a link to an exact kit that will work on my XJ. I do want the hi/low function. Also, does anybody have a link for a good pair of projector beams or will any of the projectors on EBAY work?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Year: 2000
Thumbs up

When u checkout with the hid they ask for a bulb size the size to select is h4 ok! next if you are worried go to a auto parts store and look for the sealed beam for the xj open the box you will see the prongs next look for an h4 bulb you will find that they have the same prongs! no need to fear buddy!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L High Output

With an upgrade of that sort to your headlights it may not be neccesary to upgrade your wiring but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Plus having proper wiring running to the lights will only allow them to run more efficiently and burn brighter. Here' Go-Jeep's writeup on the wiring upgrade. Again, I don't think it's neccesary, but it's certainly something to consider...

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Year: 2001

JP magazine did a write up on how to do the HID setup in a 98 XJ..The difference was amazing and put the stock sealed beams to shame.. Heres the link

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...all/index.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xenon Headlights?