Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wouldn't shut off, now won't start - acts like always in "on" position

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wouldn't shut off, now won't start - acts like always in "on" position

Got an interesting issue if anyone would like to take a swing at it.
About a year ago, the '99 Classic suddenly decided not to start. Determining that the ignition switch was the problem, my buddies and I wired up our own switch bypassing the ignition switch. (Key set in "on" position, rigged up switch sent signal to starter solenoid). This lasted successfully until it was replaced by an OEM ignition switch.
Recently some strange issues have come up. One day I go to turn off the ol' Jeepy. I turned the key to the "off" position and pull the key out, but it was still running. I had to disconnect the main power to the distributor to shut down the motor. However, the electronics stayed on (i.e. radio, gauge cluster, etc.). It basically acted as if the vehicle was still in the "on" position. I had no trouble starting it, just shutting it off.
The next day, I go to start it. The starter gave three puffs and quit. As I turned the key, the power was reverted to the starter, but it made no attempt to crank. It was acting the same as it did when the ignition switch went out before.
I figured the ignition switch was bad again so I purchased an aftermarket one and replaced it. Unfortunately this didn't work. The only difference is that it doesn't seem that the power is being reverted to the starter when I turn the key.
Also, whenever I reconnect the battery, the electronics come on. (as if in the "on" position)
Because it acts like it's in the "on" position constantly, could it be the key lock cylinder?
Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm in the military and live on post, so I don't have much access to tools or resources.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a close look at the plug and harness for the ignition switch for melted/shorted wiring. Sometimes they run hot enough to melt things when they fail.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TE=Radi;2852721]Take a close look at the plug and harness for the ignition switch for melted/shorted wiring. Sometimes they run hot enough to melt things when they fail.[/QUOTE]

I checked the harness near the plugs and it looked fine. I'll try checking the harness all the way back to the firewall for corrosion.