Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Would these work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Would these work?

I have made up my mind to convert my DD 91 XJ to an all electric fan setup; especially since I will be upgrading to a 160 amp alternator soon as well.

Would three of these little guys work? They are 10" each, and put out 1000 cfm each for a total 3000 cfm.

Proform/10 in. dia. 1000 CFM high performance reversible electric fan

Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I did the same thing to my 92 I used three derale 10" fans and they fit perfect. I also installed another mounted it on the bottom of the hood with a tranny cooler on top. kept everything nice and cool with ac and in 4 low.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
I did the same thing to my 92 I used three derale 10" fans and they fit perfect. I also installed another mounted it on the bottom of the hood with a tranny cooler on top. kept everything nice and cool with ac and in 4 low.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Did you notice the a/c blow any cooler with the constant running of fans rather than a mechanical one that slows down when at idle? Also, the tranny oil cooler you mentioned, how did you wire the fan?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

It did make the ac run cooler. The fan for the tranny cooler i ran to acc with a relay came on with ignition. All my fans were wired this way with no temperature switch. The fluid line are the tricky part, they have to be positioned right so they do not kink when you close the hood. Also you must add an extra quart or so to make up the extra lines and cooler. I did not run the cooling lines to the rad because i did not want an exchange of heat between the tranny and engine cooling.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
It did make the ac run cooler. The fan for the tranny cooler i ran to acc with a relay came on with ignition. All my fans were wired this way with no temperature switch. The fluid line are the tricky part, they have to be positioned right so they do not kink when you close the hood. Also you must add an extra quart or so to make up the extra lines and cooler. I did not run the cooling lines to the rad because i did not want an exchange of heat between the tranny and engine cooling.
Sounds like a very nice and effective setup. I have been planning on a tranny cooler, but never knew how I should do it. If possible, could you take a pic of yours? Noone else really has one mounted somewhere other than the grille.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I am sorry but I sold this jeep a long time ago and do not have any pictures of this. I got the idea from a jeep magazine where they built an xj to go on a trip to alaska. The only thing that i changed was that there jeep had the fan on top of the hood and the cooler under. I live in florida and did not want the plastic fan exposed to the sun it will become brittle and break. I found a cooler at discount auto parts that fit my fan well. I traced the mounting holes for the cooler on to the hood and cut a square out to allow air flow and drilled out the mounting holes. I then bolted the cooler to the hood and made additional holes for the cooling lines. The cooling line holes were oblong to not knink them. I then attached the fan using the pull through zip ties that came with the fan. I put zip ties through the braceing of the hood to hold the power and fluid lines making sure that they did not kink. The set up worked very well and doubled as a way to get hot air out from under the hood.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Also I mounted this to the drivers side exactly centered so rain water would not get on fuses and such. Also remember to get a skinny fan because it will come close to the Throttle body. I used derale fans.