Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Worn Pressure Plate/Bad Throwout Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Worn Pressure Plate/Bad Throwout Bearing?

Hey guys, I have a 96 XJ that has the AX 15 trans, and I've been having some trouble with it for several months now. The issue is that as the truck warms up to normal operating temp, the gears become harder to shift into. The pedal feel doesn't change (it is always really stiff), and while the truck is moving it will usually eventually clunk into gear if I hold the clutch pedal long enough.

However, if I don't downshift into 1st gear before coming to a complete stop, the truck will not shift into any gears. It doesn't grind or anything like that, its just like the shifter is locked out of engaging any gears. If I shut the truck off, it will shift into 1st without a problem, I can restart the truck and go. Again, this only happens when the truck is warmed up, it shifts great when it is cold.

It is a goofy problem that is more annoying than a real issue right now, but if its an easy fix i'd like to take care of it. Background on the truck is that it has 208k mi, new master and slave cylinders that are completely bled and not losing fluid. Transmission has Royal Purple syncromax fluid that i changed out in the fall. What I was thinking was that this was a worn pressure plate (clutch grabs strong even though the pedal grabs near the floor) or maybe a worn throwout bearing? I'm sure the syncros are probably pretty well worn due to the mileage of the truck as well. Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

when i had my broken throw out bearing i would hold the pedal depressed(to the floor) at stop lights and sometimes it could catch and start rolling away! i just thought i would chime in on what happened when my throwout bearing went out. i am not sure as to why yours is hard to shift other than syncros. and it is wierd it only does it warmed up.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Not that I have any viable advice, just thought i would throw my experience into the mix here. My 93' XJ w/249k is doing pretty much the same thing except it started out would ONLY shift once it was @ n.o.temp. During cold start- no chance at all to get shifting. Now it just doesnt shift at all.
Will only engage when engine off. Since you replaceed your slave and master, has me concerned of amount of work im in for to fix mine if those 2 wont remedy this problem.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

same issue with a '97/'98 hybrid lol. can't figure it out...i'm thinking clutch.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

What does it say about clutch/p.p. if when started in first or reverse, the jeep wants to leap and get going?