Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Worn knuckle where brake pads rest and slide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Worn knuckle where brake pads rest and slide?

I noticed that the flat area on what I think is called the knuckle where your brake pads hook on to and are supposed to slide on has worn recessed groves on my rig. Is this common on these vehicles? Does it require attention or are most people ignorning it if they don't notice any braking problems.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by steve54
I noticed that the flat area on what I think is called the knuckle where your brake pads hook on to and are supposed to slide on has worn recessed groves on my rig. Is this common on these vehicles? Does it require attention or are most people ignorning it if they don't notice any braking problems.
I had the same issue on my '99. Took them off and had them welded then remachined. I subsequently needed to machine the rotors and replace the calipers/pads due to (cocked) caliper piston damages suffered as a result of the stuck inboard pads. Search for my write-up and pics on that...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes this a fairly common problem. Not just with Xj's, but with any vehicle with the caliper slides machined onto the "knuckle" like that. I suppose most people ignore it. Could eventually lead to pad noise from them bouncing around. Worst case could possibly cause some binding. I cleaned them up and welded some small beads where it was worn then ground them down smooth again.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

If you lived in this geographic area then I'd send you to the guy who welded/machined my knuckle pad-slides. Add the needed details to your profile so other helpful XJ owners can point you to reliable service providers...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Engine: 4.0

First clean them up, down to metal. I was going to weld them but i realized the notches were only 1/16th rust deep. So I meticulously feathered them with a grinder until they sparked on fresh metal. Then used a file to make them baby smooth. Then new pads and rotors and grease those riding points with thin coats to make sure it doesn't happen again. I also used brake pads that came with different clips (.010,.015,.020) that went on the bottom riding surface of the pads to help make up the difference that i grinded away. (got the pads from O'reilly) I got the idea from someone on here, can't remember who, but thanks whoever, lol.

But if they are really bad then here's a write up on the weld. If you ask me welding should be the last resort, but works regardless.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LegalizeFreedom
First clean them up, down to metal. I was going to weld them but i realized the notches were only 1/16th rust deep. So I meticulously feathered them with a grinder until they sparked on fresh metal. Then used a file to make them baby smooth. Then new pads and rotors and grease those riding points with thin coats to make sure it doesn't happen again. I also used brake pads that came with different clips (.010,.015,.020) that went on the bottom riding surface of the pads to help make up the difference that i grinded away. (got the pads from O'reilly) I got the idea from someone on here, can't remember who, but thanks whoever, lol.

But if they are really bad then here's a write up on the weld. If you ask me welding should be the last resort, but works regardless.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/

I feathered mine down with a grinder as well and worked for me. This is probably not the best method but mine were like 1/32. If they are deep just have a shop do the welding.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM

I've got this problem in my 2000. I'm pretty sure it's causing a terrible squeeking noise. Cherryokee: what shop did you use? I'm in central MA. I'm currently asking my friends to see if they know anyone with a welder.

Dave