Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Won't start/turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start/turn over

I have replaced the NSS but it still won't turn over. I've swapped the relays and still nothing. I've checked the continuity and sensor is in the right position. I do hear clicking coming from behind dash on passenger side. I had the started checked at autozone. After re-installing started, it did start a few times but once I moved the shifter, it stopped working.
Question is: Can the starter still be the problem? I have a 1998 jeep cherokee sport. Any advice is welcomed.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it starts when you "wiggle" the shifter, or move it, then it has to still be an issue with the NSS. HTH!!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 AM

It won't do anything. Funny thing, it started after re-installing starter. Just wondered if the started tested OK but still may be bad. It doesn't even turn if I tap the starter points with a screwdriver.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Default won't crank

I had some frayed wires on the positive battery post. I cut the cable and used a universal clamp. Seems I may not have been getting enough voltage to turn the starter. Seems to be working now. Didn't seem like that was the problem but is working now. Keeping my fingers crossed. Don't want to get stranded again.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Also make sure the negative batt. connection is good at the battery and at the eng.block. Just as important as the positive ends.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Default Still having problems starting

I thought I solved this one. It wouldn't turn over again. I'm stumped. The NSS has continuity in park. I hear relays clicking. Still nothing going to the starter. Will check how much power is getting to the starter. Funning thing, I can't get the starter to turn by touching the small post to the top post on the starter with a screwdriver. Am I missing something? I put the trans back to park and it started. Still seems like the NSS. Help.... Something is still wrong.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 AM

might need to look int a new distributor, cap, and rotor I had a similar problem and I replaced these and she runs and starts like a champ.. The dist. i about 90 bucks with a 40 dollar core and the cap and rotor are about 20 bucks for both at autozone
Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You may have a bad feed cable from the battery to the starter . When you touch the battery terminal to the solenoid terminal the starter should engage if it is working right.

Try this, run a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the battery positive post to the solenoid terminal, the small terminal. Then touch the wire to the terminal. The solenoid should activate and engage the starter. If you hear a click, the solenoid contacts are worn.

Careful doing this as the engine will turn if all is good. Having a helper at the wheel is a safe thing.

You may have worn solenoid contacts. When you removed the starter you may have had movement where they worked. Now installed on the engine they are back to an intermittent contact.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

How old is your battery?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Originally Posted by CherokeeGP
How old is your battery?
thats what I was thinking. If the batt is low then it will just click...
Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Damn im having a similar if not the same problem.
It just wants to crank when it wants to.
At first i thought it was my battery cables since they were old the were probably touching metal somewhere, so i changed them and it worked fine.

But now its add it again. If you find a solution, please let me know buddy.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Default I think it may have worked

I ran a line directly from the battery to the small terminal on the starter. Sometimes it would turn and most times it would just click. I replaced the starter. Hopefully, I won't have anymore problems. I was having trouble the the NSS anyway, no backup lights and occasionally needed to start in neutral, but I think The starter was the problem this time. Anyway, I have backup lights now too. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Year: 1990

i have a 1990 jeep laredo it wont start. i turn the key and everything comes on radio etc. but when i go to turn it over there is no clicking no anything. i can short the starter out with a screw driver. i have changed the cylanoid. took the starter to auto zone they said it was fine. any thoughts to what it could be would be really helpful
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Default 99 jeep cherokee sport, problems starting

i just registered on this website and cant figure out how to make a new thread. i have a 99 jeep cherokee sport that is having problems starting. i took it to autozone to have to have it tested a couple months ago and everything tested fine. now its getting really bad to the point where almost everytime i shut my jeep off it wont start up. a few times i tapped it with a hammer and it started. other times that didnt work. a few times ive taken it out of park and put it back in park and it started, and sometimes it didnt.. sometimes if i wait a few hours it will start, and if it doesnt start, again i take it out of gear then put it in park and it starts up. what is going on with my jeep? bad starter? solenoid? wire issues? NSS?? i still want to go have it checked out, just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure on here. thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Year: '99
Engine: I6 4.0

I would definitely check the battery... Do you know what the voltage is reading on the battery?

Last edited by chaneyz; 12-08-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Change verbiage.

Quick Reply: Won't start/turn over